Decks that surprised you by packing a punch?

WinterGrim

Hello everyone!

This is my first thread (apart from my welcome in the new members section), so I am pretty excited.

I wasn't sure how to word the title, so if there is already a thread like this then please direct me :)

I am noticing myself get drawn to and pleasantly surprised by Tarot decks that many might consider "fluffy" or "lighthearted". The ones that for whatever reason (be it color, name of the deck, artwork, etc.) are put into the "not going to give me a deep enough reading" pile. For example: The Mystic Faerie Tarot. I do enjoy Faeries, but did not think that I would be able to connect on a deep enough level with this deck. Lo and behold, it proved me very wrong once I started reading with it!

My other experiences like this have been with Crystal Visions and The Gothic Tarot by Joseph Vargo (Both decks I love!).

I am curious to know what decks others have experienced this with. Have you picked up or been gifted a deck, thinking that it won't be the best fit just to be blown away? I would love to hear your stories if anyone is willing to share :)

Oh and the decks don't necessarily need to be considered lighthearted. Any type of deck qualifies!

Thanks everyone!

Nemia

For me, that happened with the Silhouettes tarot. I loved the way it looked with the colourful backgrounds and the silhouettes - but I looked at the little creatures, toys and gnomes and children with exaggerated cutness, and I said: what a pity, the idea is great but it's much too cute for me". But the deck didn't leave me, it had put its tiny little claws into me, like a kitten determined to be taken seriously. So I bought it.

And now this deck, with all its children and animals and dream worlds, works like a charm. The harsh cards are harsh. The readings are spot-on and more complex than I expected. The whole deck works like a silhouette movie - the borderless cards put next to each other become a storyboard and then, a moving story. It just unfolds in front of my eyes.

It has become one of my favorite reading decks. It's not one of the celebrated stars of the tarot world. You might easily underestimate it like I did. But if a deck ever surprised me, this one did.

gregory

YES, I so agree - Mystic Faerie. Something of a standing joke here a while ago. I got it (as I do :|) and said how fluffy and everything it was; I kept that up for a while - and then I read for someone with it on a bet.

It was VICIOUS. Cloaked in berries and stuff - but punch does not begin to describe... And spot on - my sitter was quite shaken, but said it was all right on target. I was stunned and actually posted here how wrong I had been.

WinterGrim

Wow! What a beautiful way you described this deck. I had heard of the Silhouettes Tarot, but did admittedly underestimate it for the same reasons as you. It was in a style that seemed almost childish to me (which is weird, since I usually LOVE cute things!) but for some reason it just didn't click, and so I didn't give it a second thought.

I looked at the pictures you included, and they are so lovely! I decided to look this deck up and give it another shot through new eyes, and was not let down. This deck brings up memories of when I saw a shadow play of Thumbelina at a young age. It looks so full of whimsy and wonder. Now I want it, but I checked the site and the 2nd edition is sold out :( So I will need to hold out until the 3rd edition releases (or try my luck at the trading forum).

Thank you for sharing your story Nemia! You have totally enabled me :D

For me, that happened with the Silhouettes tarot. I loved the way it looked with the colourful backgrounds and the silhouettes - but I looked at the little creatures, toys and gnomes and children with exaggerated cutness, and I said: what a pity, the idea is great but it's much too cute for me". But the deck didn't leave me, it had put its tiny little claws into me, like a kitten determined to be taken seriously. So I bought it.

And now this deck, with all its children and animals and dream worlds, works like a charm. The harsh cards are harsh. The readings are spot-on and more complex than I expected. The whole deck works like a silhouette movie - the borderless cards put next to each other become a storyboard and then, a moving story. It just unfolds in front of my eyes.

It has become one of my favorite reading decks. It's not one of the celebrated stars of the tarot world. You might easily underestimate it like I did. But if a deck ever surprised me, this one did.

Barleywine

Tarot of the Magical Forest. There's something just a little off about those neurotic-looking animals.

WinterGrim

Goodness! Those seemingly innocent Faeries got their revenge for being called "fluffy" it seems ;) I love when decks deliver in the most unexpected ways, and this one definitely has something shadowy lurking beneath it's brambly hedges...

Reading this makes me want to take out my Mystic Faeries and dive in even more! Thank you for sharing. :)

YES, I so agree - Mystic Faerie. Something of a standing joke here a while ago. I got it (as I do :|) and said how fluffy and everything it was; I kept that up for a while - and then I read for someone with it on a bet.

It was VICIOUS. Cloaked in berries and stuff - but punch does not begin to describe... And spot on - my sitter was quite shaken, but said it was all right on target. I was stunned and actually posted here how wrong I had been.

Darkmage

Nova Tarot. The Hallmark-esque images and small coaster cards belie how accurate the deck usually is.

I've had this deck give me serious wake-up calls just when I needed one.

Dee Ell

But the deck didn't leave me, it had put its tiny little claws into me, like a kitten determined to be taken seriously.

😂😂😂 this is so fabulously written Nemia - and shame on you, you've totally enabled me too!!!

Thoughtful

l received my Roots of Asia tarot as an exchange in the trading forum. Had no idea what to expect, but happily parted with a deck l did not use.
Well was l surprised! somethings are just meant to be, it quite literally took my breathe away. l am not a Buddhist or particularly interested in the Asian way, but this tarot just seeped into my consciousness, the gentleness of the images and what they conveyed to me was totally awe inspiring. Its the sweetest and most spiritual deck in my little collection. Yet when l give readings with it, l find it so accurate, and it speaks of the hidden and sometimes painful places in a persons being. It does so in such a gentle way, it is not confrontational but speaks rather with empathy, love and understanding. Its a wonderfully truthful and healing tarot.

Not like the Thoth!! which has no regard for your sensibilities it says it like it is. Do love it though, even if it has a "here's the truth take it or leave it" attitude, which l do have to moderate a little with some sitters.

Forgot to add: Welcome to Aeclectic :)

Myrrha

I also had some great readings with the Mystic Faerie.

I think these seemingly "fluffy" decks give people great readings because they are decks that get the child-like part of us involved in the reading, and that is the part that is able to consider new possibilities. We connect with these decks emotionally.

Currently I am working with the Beautiful Creatures tarot and it is also giving we readings that are a lot deeper than I expected. It has to do both with the art and the overall ideas that were built into the deck.