Transgender decks!

LauraSeabrook

Cat* said:
I find your deck a thought-provoking application of tarot concepts to the theme of gender transition, even though I don't see your take as the universal word on what tarot concept relates to what part of the transition experience (going on what I hear from my trans friends and experience as the queer partner of a transgender butch/trans guy). But my own disagreements with your deck partly ARE what makes it so interesting to me, and I certainly don't expect your project to represent the entire huge spectrum of trans experiences. :)

Anyhow, thank you for putting this deck out there! And welcome to Aeclectic!

No, I think it would be impossible to have a "universal" deck for transition, because there is no "universal experience" of such. Some things (like reassignment surgery) are important to some, and not to others. When I had my surgery back in 2000, Facial Feminisation surgery was just coming into vogue, but I hadn't even considered it at all.

The bottom line was that the whole sequence had to be based on my own experience, but without depicting that as the "only" path available (the exhibition notes expand upon that. This is something I'm exploring with my Masters project - two graphic novels about gender transition. One will be of a biographical nature, and the other more about the issues that surround gender transition (without being a "how to guide"). Those should be ready in a couple of years time

Also, with the exception of two cards (Motivation and The Inner Critic), I made a decision that all the figures in the cards would be based on REAL people, using photographs of them and/or of real objects and places. I was chatting online a while ago and mentioned the deck and someone wanted to know why I didn't have a "genderqueer" card. Apart from not having heard of the term when I created the cards (or when I made my own transition), when I explained the point about using real people, and asked who they would use, they couldn't suggest anyone.

I'd look forward to someone creating a Genderqueer deck, but I suspect that would be a difficult task. Once I finish my Masters I plan to create another deck, but a non trans one.

LauraSeabrook

Alta said:
Thanks Laura! The thumbnails are interesting but did you realize that if you click on them that they won't enlarge to see well?
I shall have to fix that. I had larger version at two different servers, and may have to edit all the links so that the photobucket ones are displayed.

Alta said:
nexyjo doesn't come by any more but it seems to me that you made some good progress in an area not usually approached. Except, as has been commented, by rather androgynous figures.

I find that a lot of tarot decks based on anime are so androgynous that I literally could not say whether some figures are meant to be male or female.
The trouble with ambiguous or androgynous figures however (in regard to this thread) is that such doesn't reflect trans that much. "Transgender" is really an umbrella term that is useful politically, but I know few trans folk that would affect a genderless or ambiguous appearance. On the other hand, there is now "Genderqueer" - another term which seems to reflect folk that don't feel they belong to one gender or another. Of course that's one reason I focussed on gender transition rather than transgender.

For me the first had a direct parallel to the major arcana. I was reading tarot professionally at the time in "2nd Life Books", a second hand bookshop that had a very large GLBT section, along with various esoteric and and eclectic books and items as well. It was the perfect place for me to read! And afterwards I felt that producing the deck was for me a right-of-passage and one that marked the end of my gender transition. There would be other changes in my life, yes, but not in that area.

Cat*

LauraSeabrook said:
No, I think it would be impossible to have a "universal" deck for transition, because there is no "universal experience" of such. Some things (like reassignment surgery) are important to some, and not to others. When I had my surgery back in 2000, Facial Feminisation surgery was just coming into vogue, but I hadn't even considered it at all.
I agree, there is very little universal about gender transition. You also make a good point about certain "fashions" in this area. What CAN even be part of someone's gender transition changes with what medical technologies are available, to whom, at what price, and in what quality; what mainstream culture and/or subcultures support or suppress in terms of gender roles; and several other things that are historically and culturally specific. Not to mention all the different CHOICES one can make about one's own gender transition.

The bottom line was that the whole sequence had to be based on my own experience, but without depicting that as the "only" path available (the exhibition notes expand upon that. This is something I'm exploring with my Masters project - two graphic novels about gender transition. One will be of a biographical nature, and the other more about the issues that surround gender transition (without being a "how to guide"). Those should be ready in a couple of years time
I'll watch out for them.

Also, with the exception of two cards (Motivation and The Inner Critic), I made a decision that all the figures in the cards would be based on REAL people, using photographs of them and/or of real objects and places. I was chatting online a while ago and mentioned the deck and someone wanted to know why I didn't have a "genderqueer" card. Apart from not having heard of the term when I created the cards (or when I made my own transition), when I explained the point about using real people, and asked who they would use, they couldn't suggest anyone.
The depiction of real people (and they do feel real to me - not like some generic trans people) is one thing I really like about your deck.

I could probably think of several people who'd make a good illustration of "genderqueerness" - but none of them would represent the concept as such in a sufficient manner. But I'd have the same problem if someone asked me to pick ONE person to represent maleness or femaleness, or even any other concept in tarot. So I guess this is a task that can never be fulfilled perfectly. Which shouldn't keep us from trying, though. :)

I'd look forward to someone creating a Genderqueer deck, but I suspect that would be a difficult task. Once I finish my Masters I plan to create another deck, but a non trans one.
Keep us posted! :)

Cat*

Debra said:
Do you mean the 8 of swords? I get it ok as "self-doubt" and self-restriction.
I think she may be referring to the somewhat unfortunate shadow in the crotch region of that card which one could take for an erection. Or maybe that's just me and my vivid imagination. ;)

GryffinSong

Cat* said:
I think she may be referring to the somewhat unfortunate shadow in the crotch region of that card which one could take for an erection. Or maybe that's just me and my vivid imagination. ;)

Oh! I hadn't even noticed that. Thanks for pointing that out, because I was really scratching my head about what the big deal was. Apparently I'm blind!!! I don't have this deck, but I won't ever be able to think about it the same!!!

Laura, I love that your tarot is very personal, rather than an attempt at universality. I think when it really comes down to it, our own experiences are all that we truly, fully understand. If we do. LOL One of the beauties of a deck based on personal, inner work, is that when it does touch someone's life, it will do so at a deep and beautiful level. There is nothing inauthentic or forced about it.

I do hope you're able to publish it, and I look forward to seeing your future work.

AJ

Yes,I misspoke, it was the 8 of swords. It isn't a big deal,
just a really is a bizarre feature given the androgynous nature of the figures. I just couldn't take the deck seriously so flung it from me in a sale/trade thread. :)

LauraSeabrook

Cat* said:
....But I'd have the same problem if someone asked me to pick ONE person to represent maleness or femaleness, or even any other concept in tarot. So I guess this is a task that can never be fulfilled perfectly. Which shouldn't keep us from trying, though. :)
One reason that there are so many different images on the Masculine and Feminine cards.