Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

Padma

Thanks for the reply Flizarraga,I hope I didn't seem to be looking down somewhat at pip decks as I really don't,they deserve alot of respect as part of the tarot family,and with how ancient they are.They're very mysterious,even more so than an illustrated deck-after all even someone who never saw a tarot deck before could hazard a guess at what the ten of swords means in the rider waite style decks,in a marseille style deck-theres no obvious clues,memory and intuition come into it more-neither of which are my strong points lol.
I think I am leaning towards the mythical creatures out of the two,maybe I'd work more with a pip deck if I had a really amazing one.

If it helps at all, I learned on a Marseille with no LWB. I was 13, and I got it. And I knew nothing about tarot, at that time. While I do now prefer illustrated pips, I can tell you from experience that your intuition will "get it" when you see the pip cards. There are also study/explanation threads here for pips and courts, which might help ;)

I guess what I am saying is that while I don't own that particular deck, don't dismiss it out of hand over pips. You'll be amazed how your intuition steps in to fill the gaps. :)

athenafletcher

I think I am leaning towards the mythical creatures out of the two,maybe I'd work more with a pip deck if I had a really amazing one.

The Mythical Creatures deck appears to be sold out already, according to Baba Studio's website. It might change once they do a final inventory.

Alta

The Mythical Creatures deck appears to be sold out already, according to Baba Studio's website. It might change once they do a final inventory.
The black and white version anyway, the coloured version being still to come.

willowy

If it helps at all, I learned on a Marseille with no LWB. I was 13, and I got it. And I knew nothing about tarot, at that time. While I do now prefer illustrated pips, I can tell you from experience that your intuition will "get it" when you see the pip cards. There are also study/explanation threads here for pips and courts, which might help ;)

I guess what I am saying is that while I don't own that particular deck, don't dismiss it out of hand over pips. You'll be amazed how your intuition steps in to fill the gaps. :)

Thanks Padma,its definitely something I'm going to look into more,looks like its sold out though so may have to wait till the colour one.

mercuryempress

Would anyone care to enable or denable me regarding Tinker's Damn please? I have PayPal credits but it's an expensive deck, however shipping is free compared to usual extortion to the UK. It looks amazing. My finger is itchy.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I loveeee these cards
I can't buy them for myself because I noticed that in 2 separate decks the devil card is represented in a way that I do find a bit offensive especially when there seems to be a recurring theme in a way the card is portrayed.

I do constantly go on the website though just to look at the pictures ( I'm in love with the woodcut deck).My sensitivity doesn't take away from the fact that these are indeed amazing and unique decks at least from the pictures. Id say go for it.

banbha

I loveeee these cards
I can't buy them for myself because I noticed that in 2 separate decks the devil card is represented in a way that I do find a bit offensive especially when there seems to be a recurring theme in a way the card is portrayed.

I do constantly go on the website though just to look at the pictures ( I'm in love with the woodcut deck).My sensitivity doesn't take away from the fact that these are indeed amazing and unique decks at least from the pictures. Id say go for it.

The Devil card (enslavement) stops me from buying this deck as well, otherwise I find this deck very intriguing.

Linfang

Tarot Apokalypsis

Can anyone please tell me if the Apokalypis (kit) is really worth it or not? It's been on my Amazon wish list for ages, but can't make up my mind. I'm afraid that I'm mainly interested in the book. Is there anything really new to be found? Is anyone using the deck regularly?

Thanks anyone!

Madrigal

Can anyone please tell me if the Apokalypis (kit) is really worth it or not? It's been on my Amazon wish list for ages, but can't make up my mind. I'm afraid that I'm mainly interested in the book. Is there anything really new to be found? Is anyone using the deck regularly?

Thanks anyone!

I've got it and wasn't aware there was a deck-only version. The book is interesting, with full color repros of the cards and historical info on the figure the card is representing. The deck itself is over the top but it works in a strange and compelling way. And while I don't use it regularly when I do use it I always come away with a different take on the cards. Some of the depictions don't work for me, a whirling dervish as The Fool for example. But it has one of my favorite Four of Swords ever.

Linfang

but it has one of my favorite Four of Swords ever.

Thanks Madrigal for your input. Just had to check YouTube for the 4 of Swords, it's really beautiful.

CharlotteK

The Devil card (enslavement) stops me from buying this deck as well, otherwise I find this deck very intriguing.
I totally understand the sensitivities with this card. The imagery and meaning is extremely grim. A reminder for me of the horrific things humans have, and still do, inflict on each other. We are all capable of acts of cruelty and I guess enlightenment is what saves us. I did get the deck and it's a dark one.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk