Yes or No readings

painty

Hi

I was wondering what people thought about doing yes or no tarot readings. I've read conflicting things in various web sites. Some (a lot) say yes or no readings are fine and a good, quick way to practice whereas other sites seem to recommend you ask deeper questions rather than a straight yes or no and actually say it's wrong to.
Also are there any questions that are out of bounds for the tarot. I understand about not asking the whole "what's the lottery numbers" type question but I've seen people recommend we don't ask things about health and "am i going to get better" etc. Or, "will i end up with this person" type question or "should i do this or that".
I like the idea that the tarot could be a free, open format where nothing is off limits as long as what you are asking is ethical but even that could be open to interpretation.
I am just learning the tarot so it's all new to me. I want to make sure i start off on the right track.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hide1111

General gist for me is if you want yes or no questions there has much better mediums for it; such as pendulum. I find tarot to give too much detail for a simple yes or no, when you want a yes or no you hardly want no detail, in my opinion.

blueeyetea

Like Hide1111 says, there are other divination tools that are better suited. However, someone showed me a way to answer yes or no question with tarot card, if someone insists (like at a party). Count 40 cards, and count how many aces show up in those 40 cards. If all 4 aces are in there, it's very likely to be a yes, and no aces, the answer is no. Two and 3 aces, the answer is in between.

You can also shuffle your cards and turn the first card. Upright is yes, reversed is no.

I'm sure there are other ways of figuring out a yes or no.

As for questions being out of bound, it all depends. For example, a medical question from a querent is out of bounds due to the legal ramifications it could bring up.

painty

Like Hide1111 says, there are other divination tools that are better suited. However, someone showed me a way to answer yes or no question with tarot card, if someone insists (like at a party). Count 40 cards, and count how many aces show up in those 40 cards. If all 4 aces are in there, it's very likely to be a yes, and no aces, the answer is no. Two and 3 aces, the answer is in between.

You can also shuffle your cards and turn the first card. Upright is yes, reversed is no.

As for questions being out of bound, it all depends. For example, a medical question from a querent is out of bounds due to the legal ramifications it could bring up.

Thank you both for the replies. Im reading Dusty White's book on learning the tarot and he mentions the 40 card yes/no. It's interesting how there are so many different views on elements of the tarot. It's hard knowing if there is a right or wrong way of doing things. I guess you have to go with what feels right for you.
The medical thing i totally get if its fir a client. I was thinking more of if you are reading for yourself. Would it be a valid question / answer.
Thanks.

TheSixOfWands

There aren't really any wrong ways IMO; I personally would only ask questions specific to the querent. I would never try to give legal or medical advice using the cards

I quite like a 3 card spread in place of a yes/no:

1st card: yes if...
2nd card: no if...
3rd card: maybe if...

That way you can build a scenario.

SwordOfTruth

Tarot is a tool, nothing more. I don't do yes/no type questions because I don't think tarot is a good tool for that. Pendulum and coin flipping is probably better. There's less interpretation of the results. Those are my thoughts on it.

ThtDancerGuy

Hi

I was wondering what people thought about doing yes or no tarot readings. I've read conflicting things in various web sites. Some (a lot) say yes or no readings are fine and a good, quick way to practice whereas other sites seem to recommend you ask deeper questions rather than a straight yes or no and actually say it's wrong to.
Also are there any questions that are out of bounds for the tarot. I understand about not asking the whole "what's the lottery numbers" type question but I've seen people recommend we don't ask things about health and "am i going to get better" etc. Or, "will i end up with this person" type question or "should i do this or that".
I like the idea that the tarot could be a free, open format where nothing is off limits as long as what you are asking is ethical but even that could be open to interpretation.
I am just learning the tarot so it's all new to me. I want to make sure i start off on the right track.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi painty,

It is completely up to preference for readers to do Yes/No inquiries, don't let anyone tell you that you are wasting your abilities or your time doing Yes/No readings. Some spreads that address specifically Yes/No questions are actually rather detailed and intricate, it just depends on which you choose. I actually have just one for such an occasion. This spread, called Eden Gray's Three Aces Spread (For Yes or No Inquiries), from Mrs. Benebell Wen's book Holistic Tarot has easily become my absolute favorite "quickie" spread for Yes/No questions, and it can be drawn out as well, as per my own personal adjustment to it. Here it is. :)

Eden Gray's Three Aces Spread
As I imagine you can deduce, this spread utilizes Aces to answer either a Yes or a No to a specific inquiry; the answer depends upon how many Aces appear and their orientations – upright or inverted.

This spread utilizes card counting sort of: the practitioner deals 3 piles, each having a MAX of 13 cards, no more, UNLESS an Ace is reached either on or a number before the 13th card of either pile, then the practitioner begins the deal of the next pile in the same fashion until a total of 3 piles are dealt.

The Aces come in here:
- If only one Ace appears out of the entire count for each pile, that Ace's orientation is what determines the answer: upright = Yes, inverted = No. The surrounding cards and the suit of the Ace should be read to glean further details about the situation.
- If two Aces appear after the whole deal is done, the leftmost Ace (the Ace on the left, the first Ace to appear) is the immediate outcome of the inquiry. The rightmost Ace (the last Ace to appear) is the probable overall future outcome; I prefer to look at this as what is most likely to happen further out into the future, after the immediate outcome comes to pass of course. Inverted Aces will indicate setbacks or delays for that specific time indication, and the non-Ace card in the spread will reveal further details.
- Finally, if all three Aces appear at the end of the deal for each pile, then the answer is automatically a resounding Yes. Inverted Aces will indicate setbacks, delays, and/or warnings, however.

So, for example, say I ask this question: Will I marry Bill?
I deal, say, 5 cards and the 6th card is, say, the Ace of Wands upright. I stop and continue the deal in a new pile, the second pile, because I have reached an Ace and do not go any further with this pile.
In the second pile, I deal, say, the full 13 cards, the 13th card being the King of Swords, which obviously means that because we have all 13 cards here, an Ace did not show up in this pile. I stop the deal for this pile and move on to continue the deal for the third and last pile.
I deal, say, 12 cards and the 13th card is the Ace of Swords inverted. I stop the entire count because now all my piles are dealt and the actual reading can begin.

Looking at the Aces only right now, we can see that the first Ace, the Ace in the "immediate future" position is the Ace of Wands and it is upright, meaning that yes, it looks like I will marry Bill sooner rather than later. Had this been inverted, I would have said no, and then had the second Ace been upright, I would say I most likely won't marry Bill until later than I had expected; so in that case not soon, but eventually... You can consider the number in the pile of the upright Ace (was it the 4th card, 10th card, etc.?) to have significance on when that will most likely come to fruition in the further out future – before the 5th or 6th cards, sooner; after 5th or 6th cards, most likely much later.

Looking now at the second Ace for the overall probable future outcome, it is the Ace of Swords inverted. If I have two Aces at the end of this spread and the first Ace is upright, indicating that immediately I will get what I am asking about, my personal approach to the second Ace's position is to then interpret it as the probable outcome for the long run in respect to what I am asking about. In this case, with marrying Bill, it looks like initially we will be getting married as the Ace of Wands upright showed and it will be a passionate and active marriage as per the Wands suit, but the marriage may eventually become strained with communication problems and/or ideological quandaries between us, as both are correspondences of the Swords suit and the Ace of Swords inverted in particular here.

Finally, I consider the non-Ace card that appeared as well and apply it to the overall interpretation: the King of Swords.
Say this is a woman asking this question originally, then most likely the King of Swords here represents Bill, in which case he would be somewhere in his late 30s-40s and possibly an Air sign, a strong, erudite, and astute man, determined and willful but whose mind can become his greatest enemy at times. He may have strong convictions and that may be what could cause the ideological quandaries between the female Seeker and Bill in their future marriage.

Another personal approach I have created when working with this spread is to consider the cards, if any, underneath any inverted Aces in the spread to be laid out and read as a progressing narrative to explain "why" that Ace was inverted and thus indicated a setback or delay of the outcome, or warning. This approach personally helps me to get used to reading the cards together and narratively without predetermined positions or interpretive limits. Of course this will take some practice, but it has worked great for me when I want a specific answer to why something may not happen. I guess one could do this for upright Aces, too, but I personally don't care to understand why something will happen if I originally wanted it to happen; I just accept it as it is. :)

nisaba

Tarot is (in my opinion) too chatty for yeses and nos - never have I seen a list of cards that always mean yes, and cards that always mean no. And besides, that might change from question to question: for example if you ask if you are going to be happy with a future partner and get a card that your system says is a yes-card, it is positive, whilst if you ask whether this person will turn abusive and get a yes-card the answer is rather negative (but useful to know before getting involved!). Even in a question like: "Will I get married", if the answer is yes you might consider that positive: but what if you end up marrying a murderous psychopath who scatters the charred pieces of your body along a highway three years later? Getting married (ie, a yes-answer) might not be such a great answer to get.

I tend to prefer questions like "What can you tell me about any future relationship with so-and-so" instead of "will I marry so-and-so" for exactly that reason - the information might actually be useful, whereas we've just seen how a mere yes might be nowhere near enough information.

If you really must ask a yes-no question, then go ahead. I prefer pendulums: one kind of swing will be an unequivocal yes, the other a no. Remember to check what the swings mean at the beginning of every session by asking for a demonstration of a yes-swing and a no-swing, as your mood and even subtle changes to the earth's gravitational field can change it without warning.

If you really want to use Tarot, then try this method.

Find the Ace of Pentacles/Coins in your deck. Hold it a good distance above your table, then toss it gently, flicking it to make it spin during the fall. If it lands on the table face-up, it's yes. If it lands face-down, it's no. I call that ... "tossing a coin".

Awakened Queen

You can also deal cards until you get an ace. Once you hit 13, go onto the next pile. If you pull an ace, put it on top of the pile, then go onto the next. You will have 4 piles. 4 aces is a definite yes. 3 aces is a maybe leaning toward yes. 2 aces is a maybe leaning toward no. 1 ace is a no.

There's also one I've used where you pull 5 cards. Even numbers and major arcana are in the yes row. Odd numbers and court cards are in the no row. Whichever row has the most cards holds your answer.

There's also the Wheel of Fortune spread.

1.Write down your yes-no question.
2.Remove the Wheel of Fortune from the deck and place it before you face up.
3.Shuffle the rest of the deck, with your mind on the question. Spread the cards before you in a fan, face down. With your left hand, draw seven cards from the deck. Put them face down on the table. Set the remaining deck aside.
4. Turn the Wheel of Fortune face down and add it to the other seven cards. Still thinking of your questions, shuffle these eight cards until you no longer know where the Wheel of Fortune is.
5.Deal the top four cards in a row, left to right, side by side.
6.Next deal the remaining cards on top of the first group in a row, left to right side by side.
7.Now turn over your four pairs of cards, keeping the pairs together and them in four quadrants The pair that contains the Wheel of Fortune gives you your answer.
■Top Left: The 1st position (cards 1 & 5) signifies – YES.
■Top Right: The 2nd position (cards 2 & 6) signifies – SOON.
■ Bottom Left: The 3rd position (cards 3 & 7) signifies – DELAY.
■Bottom Right: The 4th position (cards 4 & 8 ) signifies – NO.

earthair

The best Y/N spread I've found is the C C Zain 5 card one, page 61 from 'The Sacred Tarot'. (I put it up in the Spreads forum somewhere.)
It gives you the quick answer, then much information about the 'why' of the answer and where to go from there, all in 5 cards. :cool2: