Moon (XVIII) Lobster?

Debra

Astrological symbols abound in tarot. It's (probably) Cancer, the zodiac sign aligned with the Moon.

Zephyros

Astrological symbols abound in tarot. It's (probably) Cancer, the zodiac sign aligned with the Moon.

It might have originally been attributed to Cancer, or at least associated with it, who knows. Today it is mostly attributed to Pisces, which is interesting. It is the High Priestess that is attributed to the Moon, so those two cards have an special connection between them. Cancer also has a connection to the Moon (which either rules it or is exalted in it, I forget). Lots of deep waters all around, these cards shew the different permutations that elemental water can go through.

The Priestess especially can be thought of as the Moon in its "best" form. You have depth and illusion, but not the witchcraft or deceit. You have femininity and fecundity but not the qualities of the succubus the Moon has. One could get lost in comparing the two (in fact I heartily recommend it!).

Thirteen

It is true that astrological symbols in the tarot abound, but in the Rider-Waite image—which is the one being discussed--it's most definitely a lobster (crayfish) not a crab, and the card is associated with Pisces. I don't doubt, however, that Waite did take into account that lobster and crabs are from the same family of crustacean, having claws and armor and antenna and such, and so the lobster ought to remind us of the crab even if it's not one. I always found it interesting that even though the card is assigned Pisces, there are no fish to be seen in the image. There is, instead, that crayfish. So Waite seems to be tipping his hat to Cancer even if not associating the Moon card with that sign.

Debra

I didn't see Saelyn specify Rider Waite. (?)

Older moon cards show crabs, lobsters, and crayfish...I suspect whatever crustacean the artist knew best. :)

Gareth84

Oooooh, you just had to go and pick my least favorite card in the deck, which is ironic bc my natal chart is ruled by the Moon. Because I fear this card and it is usually very hard for me to decipher, I have spent a lot of time researching it. The lobster represents the most ancient, primal self. Crustaceans are ancient, even prehistoric, organisms. Their brains are very primitive and the things they "want" are the most basic supports to life: Food, a source of oxygen (in the water), and to mate and reproduce. They respond, as do all the less complex organisms (although I personally think all organisms do) to the tug and push of the Moon, but because they live in the ocean, they are particularly sensitive to it. Some readers think the lobster is really the key to understanding the Moon card--the lobster is the querant. Their reasoning is that when the Mooncard turns up in a reading it is warning us that this is a time when we are especially vulnerable to returning to our most primitive brain. For humans, that's the neocortex, a part of the brain that developed with reptiles and which we retain. That brain knows only survival. It knows fear and aggression and nothing else. People tend to return to that state when they are scared or hurt--fighting with a lover can make you a real snake, saying and doing hurtful things that you would never say in your "right mind." I see this card as advising "You are not at your best right now, you are not your highest self, lay low, try to rise above pettiness and nastiness, try to remind yourself of the person--the fully evolved lifeform--you want to be and act accordingly." Thankfully, the moon's power waxes and wanes, so it is comforting to know this phase is only temporary and better days will quickly arrive.

CheapShoes

I agree on the primitive aspect, and all oceanic creatures respond to the tides, which are of course a creation of the moon (and sun to a lesser extent). Human lunar cycles are a remnant of lunar tides too. I thought the lobster/crab image also was just quite simply that the moon has a big crab right on it there most visible to the naked eye - before Gallaleo invented that telescope thingy....

Thirteen

I didn't see Saelyn specify Rider Waite. (?)
No, that wasn't specified. However, Saelyn did specify "lobster." Which is why I assumed the Waite image was probably the one being examined as it's most certainly a lobster not a crab—and one of the most common images of the Moon card. You said it was a crab—but if it was, if Saelyn had a deck that featured a crab rather than a lobster, wouldn't Saelyn have said so?

Thirteen

All Cards are Potentially good/bad

I see this card as advising "You are not at your best right now, you are not your highest self, lay low, try to rise above pettiness and nastiness, try to remind yourself of the person--the fully evolved lifeform--you want to be and act accordingly."
Now, see, I read this as the exact opposite. :D I see it as advising, "You are in touch with the most hidden, secret and deepest parts of yourself—of humankind and of nature. They may be scary and dark, wild and untamed, but they are also creative, psychic and powerful. Remind yourself to be not afraid of these, and make the best use of them to generate something sublime, unique and uncanny."

Because, as you say, the Moon waxes and wanes, and while it is often a relief to be released from the Moon's dreams, fantasy and lunacy, it is also a brief opportunity for writers, artists, psychics and creators to produce something incredible. Something otherworldly that can't be made at any other time or in any other way. Vincent Van Gogh was often in the Moon's thrall, depressed, a bit crazy, overly emotional and strange. But when he used that state to paint he created some of the most sublime images we know.

I know it's hard to fight that need we have to label each tarot card either positive or negative, especially the ones we feel a particular bias towards. But the Tarot doesn't view the low, primal part of our nature as purely negative; nor does it view the "higher" part of our nature as purely positive (consider Strength where the civilized Maiden gains as much from the primitive Lion as the Lion from the maiden). Which is why I think we readers gain great insight into our nature and all of humanity if we work to see the cards as being always in a state of "potential." Potentially good or potentially bad depending on situation, question and position in the spread. The Moon (potentially good as well as potentially bad) and the Sun (potentially bad as well as potentially good) most especially. :)