9 of Swords as cause of death?

TinaV

So I did a past life reading and came up with some interesting findings. There is one card that is bothering me. I got 9 of Swords as how I died in my past life. This wasn't very pleasant to see. I was thinking about suicide because of the anxiety/depression aspect. Also because I can't shake the feeling that my past life ended in a violent way with bad intentions involved.

Could it also mean something else such as a disease or a murder?

violetdaisy

Could be something like a stress related heart attack or something, some underlying condition exacerbated by stress. I don't see violence in the 9 of S. Mental illnesses is a possibility though.

zippystripe

I would imagine that disease would have been more the realm of the 5 of Pentacles, with murder being represented better by The Tower or perhaps the 3 or 5 of Swords.

I think that suicide is more on the nose with the 9 of Swords, because of the things you mentioned, but remember also that stress itself can also contribute to death if it's sustained for a long time. Personally I get the 9 of Swords when I'm in those kinds of situations, and also when my mental health issues are particularly acute.

If you're having bad feelings about it, then it's not really a surprise if it was suicide. People commit suicide when they feel absolute despair, when they hit rock bottom and really, truly believe that nothing will get better. Suicide and self harm are ways of coping with extremely painful emotions. Which is really what the 9 of Swords, at it's absolute worst, represents. I personally believe that we can carry traumas over from past lives into the next, which is maybe why you've had such a strong intuitive reaction to it.

If you'd like to find out more about what led you to that point in a past life, it might be more beneficial to ask why you felt so terrible, if you haven't already.

TinaV

Thank you, violetdaisy! I hadn't thought about the possibility of a stress-induced cause of death such as a heart attack yet. That's definitely possible since the occupation/profession came up as 10 of Wands so a busy job or being burdened with projects.

The reason why I was thinking about a violent death has to do with my own dreams since I was a child. They always seem violent as in being trapped in a place I can't get out of and "bad people" coming after me. In that sense, the 9 of Swords definitely fits.

Sharla

Going by your dreams too, id definitely see it as being held somewhere maybe where there was barbed wire fencing around and guards....even some sort of prison you was taken to.
You was trapped somewhere being pushed around by people.

TinaV

I would imagine that disease would have been more the realm of the 5 of Pentacles, with murder being represented better by The Tower or perhaps the 3 or 5 of Swords.

I think that suicide is more on the nose with the 9 of Swords, because of the things you mentioned, but remember also that stress itself can also contribute to death if it's sustained for a long time. Personally I get the 9 of Swords when I'm in those kinds of situations, and also when my mental health issues are particularly acute.

If you're having bad feelings about it, then it's not really a surprise if it was suicide. People commit suicide when they feel absolute despair, when they hit rock bottom and really, truly believe that nothing will get better. Suicide and self harm are ways of coping with extremely painful emotions. Which is really what the 9 of Swords, at it's absolute worst, represents. I personally believe that we can carry traumas over from past lives into the next, which is maybe why you've had such a strong intuitive reaction to it.

If you'd like to find out more about what led you to that point in a past life, it might be more beneficial to ask why you felt so terrible, if you haven't already.

Thank you, zippystripe! I have been having nightmares since forever. I never get any pleasant dreams despite the fantastic moods I am in. Like I mentioned in my other post, these dreams are always about being trapped in a place. Sometimes these places are unknown to me but sometimes these are places I know very well. Yet, I never manage to get out despite knowing all the possible exits.

Since the past life seemed so full of stress and disappointment, I could see suicide as a possibility. After all, it's about feeling trapped with death as the only way out like you mentioned.

Maybe it was suicide and it is still affecting me somehow?

TinaV

Going by your dreams too, id definitely see it as being held somewhere maybe where there was barbed wire fencing around and guards....even some sort of prison you was taken to.
You was trapped somewhere being pushed around by people.

Thank you, Sharla! I hadn't considered that either. Maybe it refers to being trapped in a concentration/prisoner of war camp? Could be prison too but there was no justice or judgment card or any card that could indicate a legal battle. If I was sent to prison, it must have been without a legal cause.

Sharla

Thank you, Sharla! I hadn't considered that either. Maybe it refers to being trapped in a concentration/prisoner of war camp? Could be prison too but there was no justice or judgment card or any card that could indicate a legal battle. If I was sent to prison, it must have been without a legal cause.

Yes i was going to say a prisoner of war camp too....i do feel it was somewhere you was took illegally and they shouldn't have done that.

This is really interesting, i might do one of these...i was told by a psychic i went to years ago that i was a spanish dancer in my before life, and i do actually believe i could have been because of the way i look and dance, lol :laugh:

On a serious note though and without de-railing the thread...i wonder if the life we have now is effected by who we were before, and what we went through etc....For example if you were taken to a PofW camp in your before life...i know you say you've had dreams, but have you ever felt claustrophobic or afraid of the dark or loud noises, certain smells etc.... as this could be the link to you being held somewhere, in your before life ?

zippystripe

Thank you, zippystripe! I have been having nightmares since forever. I never get any pleasant dreams despite the fantastic moods I am in. Like I mentioned in my other post, these dreams are always about being trapped in a place. Sometimes these places are unknown to me but sometimes these are places I know very well. Yet, I never manage to get out despite knowing all the possible exits.

Since the past life seemed so full of stress and disappointment, I could see suicide as a possibility. After all, it's about feeling trapped with death as the only way out like you mentioned.

Maybe it was suicide and it is still affecting me somehow?

Interesting. I would be curious about if there was some kind of cruelty or abuse going on - I know that in the Thoth deck, this card (9 of Swords) is actually called 'Cruelty'. So it could've been an emotional prison rather than a literal one. Of course, there are other cards in the Tarot which would support that (e.g. The Devil), but it's just another idea.

You mentioned the 10 of Wands in your other post, too - 10 of Wands could also be about having a heavy cross to bear and the 9 of Swords also indicates guilt. Maybe you felt responsible for something which, while not necessarily incriminating, haunted you?

TinaV

Yes i was going to say a prisoner of war camp too....i do feel it was somewhere you was took illegally and they shouldn't have done that.

This is really interesting, i might do one of these...i was told by a psychic i went to years ago that i was a spanish dancer in my before life, and i do actually believe i could have been because of the way i look and dance, lol :laugh:

On a serious note though and without de-railing the thread...i wonder if the life we have now is effected by who we were before, and what we went through etc....For example if you were taken to a PofW camp in your before life...i know you say you've had dreams, but have you ever felt claustrophobic or afraid of the dark or loud noises, certain smells etc.... as this could be the link to you being held somewhere, in your before life ?

I definitely feel there was a traumatic experience in my past life that is affecting me now. I used this spread because it didn't talk about karma: http://www.psychic-revelation.com/reference/q_t/tarot/tarot_spreads/past_life.html

A Spanish dancer? Haha! I am curious to see what cards you would get for that!

I am definitely highly sensitive to crowded places especially if they are noisy. Despite my love for music, I cannot attend concerts because it makes me feel uneasy to be in a relatively small place with hundreds of people. I also gave up my job as a teacher because although I like working with people, I need to be on my own as well. You don't have much "alone time" as a teacher because you are always surrounded by students or other teachers. As for smells, I like the smell of musty cellars. I am really drawn to that. Weird, I know. So I definitely think this affects me, especially the nightmares that I have had ever since I can remember.