The difference between pentacles and wands

Jennalyn

It might seem like a really stupid question because one is energy and the other represents the material world, but I have come across certain contexts where the two have confused me.

In one example as what one person wants from two people: from one person the Knight of Cups, the other person the King of Pentacles. The Knight of Cups was clear (they want to give them romantic affection) but the King of Pentacles person is much more confusing. From what I know, these two people would be a brief fling, lovers at best. Immediately, I would have thought the person would want to give them something long-lasting, stable and concrete if I didn't know the situation, which is how I read the King of Pentacles. HOWEVER, as this is purely a sexual thing, I would not have expected to see the King of Pents - maybe the King of Wands or the Knight of Wands. Why would they want to give something stable and long-lasting to someone they just want a fling with?

I was under the impression that sex = energy = wands. Why then would the King of Pentacles show up? I know that the pentacles can also mean the 'body' - but the King of Pents is too stable and grounded for a fling. Isn't he? Similarly, the Queen of Pentacles has often come up for a sexy woman - but why not the Queen of Wands, who is said to be the sexiest of the queens? I'm really confused.

Bridget

By a fling, do you mean a one-night stand? I tend to think of a fling as a short-term affair that involves time spent together out on dates. In that context, the King might be more stable relative to that Knight--shows up on time and never cancels at the last minute, say. Also, I'd read the Kp as older or with more experience/authority than the Knc. The Knight might be more romantic, but the King might be more successful, and success is attractive. The Kp might wine and dine the querent, spring for theater tickets, pay for a weekend away--all things that give the querent a brief glimpse of the high life.

SunChariot

It might seem like a really stupid question because one is energy and the other represents the material world, but I have come across certain contexts where the two have confused me.

In one example as what one person wants from two people: from one person the Knight of Cups, the other person the King of Pentacles. The Knight of Cups was clear (they want to give them romantic affection) but the King of Pentacles person is much more confusing. From what I know, these two people would be a brief fling, lovers at best. Immediately, I would have thought the person would want to give them something long-lasting, stable and concrete if I didn't know the situation, which is how I read the King of Pentacles. HOWEVER, as this is purely a sexual thing, I would not have expected to see the King of Pents - maybe the King of Wands or the Knight of Wands. Why would they want to give something stable and long-lasting to someone they just want a fling with?

I was under the impression that sex = energy = wands. Why then would the King of Pentacles show up? I know that the pentacles can also mean the 'body' - but the King of Pents is too stable and grounded for a fling. Isn't he? Similarly, the Queen of Pentacles has often come up for a sexy woman - but why not the Queen of Wands, who is said to be the sexiest of the queens? I'm really confused.

There are never any stupid Tarot questions. All of us as readers started out knowing nothing at all about how to read Tarot and we learnt over time. One of the best ways to learn is to ask questions. :heart:

Next, there is no set answer to that. As with most things Tarot. Readers are free to develip their own associations and our cards don't talk to each of us idenitcally.

But for me, Wands have two potential meanings. They can talk about the creative force inside us, that part of us that allows us to create. It can also talk about passion. Usually the passion inside you that spurs you on to create new things. Although on occasion it can actually talk about physical passion and attraction. But for me, that is more rare that that meaning comes up. But it mean that for me.

Pentacles/Coins for me, are related but not exactly the same thing. Pents/Coins talk about our goals, what we want to accomplish and the work that we need to do to accomplish our goals. This is their meaning for me. It came from my first deck I ever used and learnt now. That was the meaning it gave. And I still use it today for the suit with all my decks.

So they are similar but not the same.

Let's say your goal was to become an artist. That is your goal, Pents. That may require you to take lots of art courses. That is the work needed, still Pents. But when you are working on an artwork, that inner creative voice that tells you you need more shadowing here, more blue there, a softer touch here...to make it reflect what is inside you. THAT is Wands.The passion inside you that drives you to know you need to be an artist. Again Wands. For me...That desire to create, to express yourself in tangable ways in the world, again Pents.

If you know you want to be a musician and it means the world to you. You would and are ready to give up your 9-5 job for just the chance....Your goal is to become a musician. That goal itself is Pents. The passion inside you that tells you you need to become that, that is Wands.

Now that you have brought up the Courts, that may complicate things. There are a variety of different ways to use Court cards. We don't all use them the same way.

But since you brought it up....for me...

King of Pents for me talks about mastering inside yourself any skills that you need to accomplish your goal in the best way. Eg if fears are getting in the way, you need to stop, take a deep breath and get control of them so you can accomplish your goal. If you don't know how to proceed, you need to figure it out first (master that knowledge inside you) before proceeding)...Knight of Pents talks about having empathy for someone else's goals. It says that you need to stop and imagine it were you who wanted to achieve the goal that you see someone else working on. And feel for them and see if you can help them achieve it.

So if these came up to your question for me, they would say, that person wanted the querent to be strong inside, to know what they want and to master the skills needed to achieve their goals. Maybe they don't like indecisiveness and admire strength of character (?) And the other card would say they wanted empathy from the querent. They wanted the querent to understand what they are going through and to feel for them. That sense of connection and oneness and maybe ever that they want the querent's help to accomplish some of their goals, common goals they can work on together.

Hope that makes sense,

Babs

AJ

in simple speak, wands are action, pents are results

Thirteen

In one example as what one person wants from two people: from one person the Knight of Cups, the other person the King of Pentacles. The Knight of Cups was clear (they want to give them romantic affection) but the King of Pentacles person is much more confusing. From what I know, these two people would be a brief fling, lovers at best. Immediately, I would have thought the person would want to give them something long-lasting, stable....
First, your issue, as you menton later on, is with the court, not the suit. A Knight/Page may want a fling, a King/Queen would likely want more. The suit doesn't say "fling." It says type of fling. Pents is physical, so the person wants a self-indulgent, physical pleasure fling. Wands says they want a passionate, dramatic fling. Cups a romantic fling, and Swords an intellectual fling.

So what about the message of that King? Well, you say that "from what you know" they just want a fling. Now I'm confused. If you knew what they wanted, why did you ask the cards? ;) When you get a card that goes against what you know (or think you know) then you should consider that maybe there is something that you don't know. And the cards have just told you what that is. The cards are, in fact, far more useful in that way; they don't usually need to tell you what you know. They need to tell you what you don't know.

So, I'd reconsider your view of the person and the relationship. Maybe that King/Pents card is telling you that this person is fooling you; they really want a long, stable relationship. Not a fling.

As for beautiful queens, which I believe each of the four queens are in her own way :) Queen/Pents is physical beauty; earthy beauty. I'd compare her to Sophia Loren; at each stage of her life, Sophia Loren has (IMHO) embodied the right, physical beauty. Wands is energy, charisma--that means the woman may not have perfectly lovely features, but people are attracted to her like moths to a flame. And they may say she's beautiful...even if really, she's not all that. Her charisma, her energy, her confidence is what makes her glow in the dark. Like Queen Elizabeth I. I'm not saying she wasn't nice looking, but she wasn't an international beauty, either. Yet history says her personality was such that everyone who met her would talk about her for days afterwards. That's why the Queen/Wands is considered so attractive.

SaturnRx

To me, the energy of the Wands is about "winning", in a sense. All of the cards are either "winning" or trying to "win". There is a distinct, individualistic, marked energy there. Wands are the work you want to do while Pentacles are the work you have too do.

Jennalyn

By a fling, do you mean a one-night stand? I tend to think of a fling as a short-term affair that involves time spent together out on dates. In that context, the King might be more stable relative to that Knight--shows up on time and never cancels at the last minute, say. Also, I'd read the Kp as older or with more experience/authority than the Knc. The Knight might be more romantic, but the King might be more successful, and success is attractive. The Kp might wine and dine the querent, spring for theater tickets, pay for a weekend away--all things that give the querent a brief glimpse of the high life.

Yes, one night stand could fall into it, though a casual relationship would also make sense. Thanks for the insight into the King of Pentacles, though not sure if it fits in this particular situation as the man in question was not the King of Pents, but rather what he wanted from her - so I suppose he would want her to show him the high life in some way?

There are never any stupid Tarot questions. All of us as readers started out knowing nothing at all about how to read Tarot and we learnt over time. One of the best ways to learn is to ask questions. :heart:

Next, there is no set answer to that. As with most things Tarot. Readers are free to develip their own associations and our cards don't talk to each of us idenitcally.

But for me, Wands have two potential meanings. They can talk about the creative force inside us, that part of us that allows us to create. It can also talk about passion. Usually the passion inside you that spurs you on to create new things. Although on occasion it can actually talk about physical passion and attraction. But for me, that is more rare that that meaning comes up. But it mean that for me.

Pentacles/Coins for me, are related but not exactly the same thing. Pents/Coins talk about our goals, what we want to accomplish and the work that we need to do to accomplish our goals. This is their meaning for me. It came from my first deck I ever used and learnt now. That was the meaning it gave. And I still use it today for the suit with all my decks.

So they are similar but not the same.

Let's say your goal was to become an artist. That is your goal, Pents. That may require you to take lots of art courses. That is the work needed, still Pents. But when you are working on an artwork, that inner creative voice that tells you you need more shadowing here, more blue there, a softer touch here...to make it reflect what is inside you. THAT is Wands.The passion inside you that drives you to know you need to be an artist. Again Wands. For me...That desire to create, to express yourself in tangable ways in the world, again Pents.

If you know you want to be a musician and it means the world to you. You would and are ready to give up your 9-5 job for just the chance....Your goal is to become a musician. That goal itself is Pents. The passion inside you that tells you you need to become that, that is Wands.

Now that you have brought up the Courts, that may complicate things. There are a variety of different ways to use Court cards. We don't all use them the same way.

But since you brought it up....for me...

King of Pents for me talks about mastering inside yourself any skills that you need to accomplish your goal in the best way. Eg if fears are getting in the way, you need to stop, take a deep breath and get control of them so you can accomplish your goal. If you don't know how to proceed, you need to figure it out first (master that knowledge inside you) before proceeding)...Knight of Pents talks about having empathy for someone else's goals. It says that you need to stop and imagine it were you who wanted to achieve the goal that you see someone else working on. And feel for them and see if you can help them achieve it.

So if these came up to your question for me, they would say, that person wanted the querent to be strong inside, to know what they want and to master the skills needed to achieve their goals. Maybe they don't like indecisiveness and admire strength of character (?) And the other card would say they wanted empathy from the querent. They wanted the querent to understand what they are going through and to feel for them. That sense of connection and oneness and maybe ever that they want the querent's help to accomplish some of their goals, common goals they can work on together.

Hope that makes sense,

Babs

Wow, thank you for the detailed explanation about the wands and pentacles. It helps clear up some of the confusion. With regard to a 'want' your explanation about them wanting the querent to understand what they are going through and feeling for them, that makes a lot of sense in this situation. Initially I would have thought it would be the King of Cups not the King of Pents to represent this as the cups are emotions, but if it ties into a goal (and that goal being that this person may have been pursuing a long-term relationship with the Knight of Cups person and been rejected in some way) then it makes perfect sense. Thanks!

in simple speak, wands are action, pents are results

Thanks, that is a good way to remember!

First, your issue, as you menton later on, is with the court, not the suit. A Knight/Page may want a fling, a King/Queen would likely want more. The suit doesn't say "fling." It says type of fling. Pents is physical, so the person wants a self-indulgent, physical pleasure fling. Wands says they want a passionate, dramatic fling. Cups a romantic fling, and Swords an intellectual fling.

So what about the message of that King? Well, you say that "from what you know" they just want a fling. Now I'm confused. If you knew what they wanted, why did you ask the cards? ;) When you get a card that goes against what you know (or think you know) then you should consider that maybe there is something that you don't know. And the cards have just told you what that is. The cards are, in fact, far more useful in that way; they don't usually need to tell you what you know. They need to tell you what you don't know.

So, I'd reconsider your view of the person and the relationship. Maybe that King/Pents card is telling you that this person is fooling you; they really want a long, stable relationship. Not a fling.

As for beautiful queens, which I believe each of the four queens are in her own way :) Queen/Pents is physical beauty; earthy beauty. I'd compare her to Sophia Loren; at each stage of her life, Sophia Loren has (IMHO) embodied the right, physical beauty. Wands is energy, charisma--that means the woman may not have perfectly lovely features, but people are attracted to her like moths to a flame. And they may say she's beautiful...even if really, she's not all that. Her charisma, her energy, her confidence is what makes her glow in the dark. Like Queen Elizabeth I. I'm not saying she wasn't nice looking, but she wasn't an international beauty, either. Yet history says her personality was such that everyone who met her would talk about her for days afterwards. That's why the Queen/Wands is considered so attractive.

Thank you for your detailed explanation - it's made me think about the cards telling me what I don't know. You mentioned that the Pents fling would mean a physical, self-indulgent one and this makes sense in this situation - what I am confused about is that in many descriptions the King of Pents is supposed to represent something long-term, stable, secure so I'm having difficulty wrapping my mind around the King of Pents representing a deeper relationship if, as a pentacle, he actually means a physical fling? It is true that I don't know exactly what is in the person's head, but if the other person received the Knight of Cups then I assume their heart is stolen by this person - so why would he want the King of Pents (long-term stability) from the other one when the interest is mostly a sexual one? Wouldn't he want the long term stability with the person he's in love with?

Thanks also for the great explanation about the queens, that has cleared things up! Loved the example of Elizabeth I - what a woman!

Wands are the work you want to do while Pentacles are the work you have too do.

Thank you, I appreciate the explanation - wands being the goal and pents being the work to get to the goal.

SunsetKay

If I'm understanding correctly, the question was what does person A want from persons B and C. You say that you already know that person A wants a fling with both so you're confused when you see person C's answer come up as King of Pents. Did I get that right?

My special friend shows up as KP so perhaps I can be of some assistance. To be blunt, he is my special friend because he is very good at what he does. No bells and whistles, but he is very methodical and very thorough. He balks at nothing because in his mind, there's nothing unnatural about anything we could possibly do. He has a day job with his hands and it shows. Physical in the extreme and very practical with it. He's easy as pie to sit with and he lets me rest my brain. We can sit on the front porch together, watch the world go by and just be our natural selves with each other.

Now, having said all that, another reason that he shows up as KP for me is because no matter how we started out, and no matter what comes out of my mouth, I absolutely DO want more than a fling. So perhaps your friend isn't being entirely honest with his or herself about what is wanted here...

Jennalyn

If I'm understanding correctly, the question was what does person A want from persons B and C. You say that you already know that person A wants a fling with both so you're confused when you see person C's answer come up as King of Pents. Did I get that right?

My special friend shows up as KP so perhaps I can be of some assistance. To be blunt, he is my special friend because he is very good at what he does. No bells and whistles, but he is very methodical and very thorough. He balks at nothing because in his mind, there's nothing unnatural about anything we could possibly do. He has a day job with his hands and it shows. Physical in the extreme and very practical with it. He's easy as pie to sit with and he lets me rest my brain. We can sit on the front porch together, watch the world go by and just be our natural selves with each other.

Now, having said all that, another reason that he shows up as KP for me is because no matter how we started out, and no matter what comes out of my mouth, I absolutely DO want more than a fling. So perhaps your friend isn't being entirely honest with his or herself about what is wanted here...

Thanks for your input! I asked what Person A wants from Persons B and C, yes, but Person A did not want a fling with Person B, as A + B were previously in a relationship and had recently broken up (Knight of Cups I took to mean that he was still in love with her.) With Person C, however, he and her are new acquaintances and there's some sexual interest going on - or was, he has pulled back quite suddenly. Hence my confusion about the King of Pentacles.

I appreciate you sharing your personal example, thank you. It could be that Person A feels a bit intimidated by Person C - the Star comes up a lot for his thoughts on her - and from what I have gathered he is quite an insecure person and his self-esteem isn't that high. Maybe he became afraid with how much he was starting to like her and pulled away because of it, also because he still has feelings for the ex?