Rare Stones vs. Substitutes

Hemera

moderator note

Please remember (what stonesatiety says above) that Aeclectic Tarot is a friendly place.
We are all entitled to our own opinions but we need to respect each others views as well.
Please play nicely.
Thanks.

The crowned one

Synthetic stones are different then natural stones, the time to create difference and subtle inclusions aside.

With the exception of perhaps quartz a good gemologist can tell a synthetic from a natural with nothing more then a microscope for most stones and occasionally a spectroscope for a few stones. Why? Because they are different in spite of the same BASIC structure. There is no romance in synthetic stones to me. Yes they have the same physical properties, unaided visual characteristics and hardness level as the natural gemstones, but basically so do you and I at cellular level, but I can tell the difference between us.

I do not imbue any stones with any power, I have tried with no results. ( piezoelectric aside) But I like the idea of the slow natural, romantic mother-nature, flaws and all method of making stones much better then the quick, AAA quality sameness of man made stones. If they did have powers I could not see how the man-made ones could have the magic, no more then a man made god, unless the magic comes from beliefs, rather then the item.

But each to their own, and the fact is, if you can not afford natural, synthetic is the next best thing.

shelikes2read

I looked up the process by which lab-grown quartz is created. If it's any consolation, there is no mention of radiation or other things that could be dangerous after the stone is created. They use real quartz, high pressure, heat, steam, and some slightly alkaline water (1% sodium hydroxide), but no radiation.

There are other human-altered stones that do involve radiation, though, and those are the ones I would pay attention to if there are any concerns of lingering radioactivity. Some of them have their color changed via irradiation, and others (I believe the various Aura Quartzes fit the bill) receive irradiation in order to bond their surface with the vapor of another substance (like gold for Aqua Aura Quartz).

Darkmage

Smoky quartz, though, is quartz that has been naturally irradiated. That's what darkens it, though it's not radioactive.

Your countertops and drywall probably emit more radiation than any crystals you may have.

I don't know about you guys, but radiation doesn't scare me at all. I grew up playing with bright orange Fiestaware so that should tell you something. ;) In reality, though, I'd be more worried about things like heavy metal poisoning and some idiot running a red light and T-boning you than any radiation lab-created stones can generate.

Crowned one is right about a gemologist being able to tell a synthetic from a natural on sight. A lab-created stone will be *too* perfect. They can have straight or curved growth lines depending on the process by which they're made.

One time at a gem show, some guy was selling half-bullets of laser ruby. It was the most gorgeous hot pink I'd ever seen. I would have bought one--or a few--but unfortunately, I have no idea how to cut stones. Otherwise half the box probably would have gone home with me. :/

stonesatiety

I agree with you Darkmage. The smokey quartz all over the house surely emits less radiation than the house itself!

Just to clarify what I was talking about vis a vis radiactivity, you generally have to go looking for them, but highly radioactive minerals are available and dangerous to keep around unshielded. I didn't consider the lab-grown aspect, which certainly could happen. It's probably a matter of economics. The more items used to alter or manufacture a stone, the less profit.

That's what I get for wandering off topic. Thanks for checking lab quartz Shelikes.

Back on the topic of replacements, when I looked at diamonds years ago, I wondered what they looked like naturally. the pics I found were awesome crystals covered in record keepers! Many were well within reach of an average budget too. Perhaps another option: a less precious form of the same precious gem. I'd like to explore diamonds in their natural state. Lotus mentioned opaque gemstones, which I use as well. Same family.

shelikes2read

While we're on the subject of substitute stones, be aware of a few things that I have learned in the midst of my becoming familiar with semiprecious-stone jewelry-making supplies. Be cognizant of what you are investing in if you want to buy the following things. So if you are purchasing these stones, do it from a trustworthy dealer who identifies any stones that have been dyed, heated, stabilized, etc.

- Turquoise. Most natural Turquoise is too soft to make jewelry with, in the natural state it's in when it's mined. So you will encounter a lot of Turquoise that has been stabilized with resin or other materials. There is also a lot of imitation Turquoise out there, such as dyed Howlite or Magnesite; or some imiitation Turquoise is made of entirely synthetic materials.

- Hematite. Natural Hematite can have a reddish coating on it -- as this is the mineral form of Iron Oxide (rust), that's not surprising. So if you see that, you are likely to be getting the Real Deal. But there is A LOT of manmade Hematite out there. Magnetic Hematite is one such stone; two others have the trade names Hemalyke and Hematine. Again, a reputable dealer will identify their stones as such, if they are a manmade version of Hematite.

- Onyx. I was surprised to find out that a lot of black Onyx is actually dyed that color (though it does occur in black naturally, as well). If you dislike using color-enhanced stones, then checking up on the history of the Onyx you're considering buying will be beneficial.

- Citrine. There is a lot of "citrine" that has been created by heating Amethyst, a more common version of Quartz. If you do some googling and look at images of heated-Amethyst versions of Citrine, it will help you ID it when you are out shopping for stones.

None of these have been irradiated, so I wouldn't expect them to have any detrimental effects on health; however, these are ways that stones are either altered from their natural state, or created entirely by man. It's always good to know exactly what the stones actually are before making the investment in them. I wont' say, "Let the buyer beware", since these things are all perfectly legal and SHOULD be indicated clearly by the seller. But I will say, "Let the buyer be diligent".

Elven

I REALLY REALLY like the comparison of lab-grown gems against natural ones!

It suddenly brought to my mind the idea of why meteorites are regarded as such highly magical objects, because they're sky-born, star-metal, sent from beyond, not extracted from the earth and depleting a resource. I have a silver ring set with meteorite that has set off vibrations far stronger than lab or natural Earth stones.

I also have a meteorite I work with and try to understand the complexity and raw untamed energy it can express. I always feel it wants to be free - to go back out there and fly - the things it has experienced and the atmospheres it has touched, I always think it has a rebel soul - it teaches me, and I never use it without good cause. And it is kept in a box, used and then put back. I'm not sure that the consciousness contained in these elements that make up this beautiful specimen of space could be repeated in a lab - maybe a space lab ;) But this is one piece of iron I think is individual and other than early.

Other stones; lab or natural - I have both - all have their own personality and gifts.