So, how do you feel about being recorded?

Cicero

Wow it's great to be back, after slipping away to make my own custom deck... I really missed talking with all you great fellow readers out there!

As a few of you might know, I do the majority of my readings at school (since I'm still a student) and one thing that you can be assured of from teenagers is that a grand majority of them have cellphones.

It's not uncommon for me to whip out my cards, do a simple seven card spread and have a small crowd to boot. Tarot is such an icebreaker in this way. However, one of my major pet peeves when giving a reading is for someone to pull out that phone and record me. Whether it be sound or video, I will pause the reading until they put it away.

I'm aboslutely terrified that it will be posted to youtube. Or worse, sent to all my fellow peers.

While I am perfectly alright with writing down my readings in a journal or indeed with our friends here. I cannot stand to be physically recorded. Just a gut feeling telling me that, I should say no and put a stop to it.

It got me curious, my deep repulsion to being recorded, about how other more experienced readers feel about this.

So, what about you? Are you alright with it? Or do you sweep up the cards and say the reading is over? I know which side of the fence I'm on!

Milfoil

Well, I've never been recorded reading tarot but I've been on the radio a few times and given lectures/workshops which have been recorded as well as taking part in educational videos for the Business School in the University I once worked for. I don't find it to be a problem at all AS LONG as I know beforehand.

It is rather rude, however, to be on film without one's prior knowledge, it is also an invasion of privacy and has data protection implications which you could challenge the person recording the event about.

It's worth remembering also that every time we go shopping we are on camera, surveillance cameras are everywhere these days so often we don't even know we are being filmed.

214red

i dont like to be filmed or to listen to a recording of my voice, however if someone wants a record of their reading i am happy to record it, wouldnt alow them to video it though...i just dont like videos of myself, esp in peoples hands i dont know.

saying that i also hate video conferencing, and leaving messages on answering machines

Chronata

Like you, 214red...I hate hearing my own voice recorded. I also have a phobia about telephones...

But as far as having other people record me? I have nothing to hide in my readings...and if someone wanted to throw it on youtube, or whatever, I have zero problems with that.

In fact, I used to do tarot parties, where I encouraged people to bring a blank cassette to record the reading, because it's easier than trying to listen and take notes.

Baroli

Being recorded doesn't bother in the slightest,....now. It was not like that years ago, but when you sing for a living, you get used to it. The same with being filmed. I would just hate it, but now it doesn't bother me.

But I also have a phone phobia and hate to talk on the phones to strangers. If I know you, it's no problem, if I don't, I get off the phone real quick or won't answer. I tried doing phone readings and was stuttering and I couldn't get the reading out. I have gotten a little bit better. I have done phone interviews and radio shows, but then again, I knew the people.

Annabelle

Interesting question. As a university lecturer, I'm used to being audio recorded by my students during classes and it doesn't bother me.

But if I were reading tarot for someone, I might feel differently. A tarot reading is such a deeply personal thing. If someone asked to capture an audio recording of the reading for their own use (to listen back through it later in case they missed things while we were talking) then that's fine. But if someone pulled out a phone in order to capture video . . . well, unless I'd already given permission due to the particular circumstances, then I'd probably stop cold until they put it away.

gregory

I would never allow anyone to record me doing ANYTHING. (It's bad enough having to leave messages on answerphones!)

If I did f2f - I would stop and refuse to carry on. You have just offered me yet another reason never to do f2f ! What a GHASTLY thought. Not to mention that actually I think it would put me off, even if I didn't mind. It's not a matter of hiding anything - I don't even know what it is - but I'd hate it so much that they would get a crap reading if I managed to let myself let them do it.....

Gypsyspell

I don't like it, i would rather not be recorded,fortunately in most market places i attend there is not the power facilities to record --i have heard recordings of myself -i sound like Minnie Mouse i think!

Sinduction

I've never run across this. I would allow audio, but not video.

Libra8ca

I think it is rude (and an invasion of privacy) to record video or audio without getting prior permission.
It even bothers me when they show pictures of people in accidents or catastrophes in the news!! When I see this, I always think I would never want to be shown like this; it just bothers me, but I guess it can't be avoided completely for the sake of news.