Jung & Tarot POLL

What do you believe about applying Jung to tarot?

• A Jungian approach is important in my tarot work.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • A Jungian approach is occasionally useful in my tarot work.

Votes: 47 47.0%
  • A Jungian approach to tarot IS NOT at all helpful.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • A Jungian approach to tarot is very dangerous when applied by who is not a licensed therapists.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Jungian ideas don't have any relevance to tarot.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don't know anything about Carl Jung or how his ideas relate to Tarot.

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • None of the above. Explain below.

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters

Teheuti

Moderator: please edit Item #4 to read:

"A Jungian approach to tarot is very dangerous when used by anyone who is not a licensed therapist."

Pick the answer that comes closest to what you believe and explain or modify in a post.

By "Jungian approach" I mean according to the theories, principles and/or processes of Jung and/or those who write about what is known as Jungian or Archetypal Psychology.

Debra

Myths and tales, yes.
Jung, no.

JSNYC

Great poll, Teheuti. You know where my vote is! :)

MareSaturni

I believe that Jung's ideas about the tarot are interesting and relevant, and they offer something more when it comes to studying the tarot.

However, i don't think they should be actively used by anyone who isn't a therapist. You may apply Jung's ideas to your interpretations of the cards, but you cannot help your sitter by applying your Jungian studies to them, unless you are a licensed Jungian therapist.

JSNYC

Marina said:
I believe that Jung's ideas about the tarot are interesting and relevant, and they offer something more when it comes to studying the tarot.

However, i don't think they should be actively used by anyone who isn't a therapist. You may apply Jung's ideas to your interpretations of the cards, but you cannot help your sitter by applying your Jungian studies to them, unless you are a licensed Jungian therapist.
I just want to make sure I understand; you think it is OK for a person to use Jung to help them learn and understand the Tarot, but for an (untrained) reader to psychoanalyze and try to help a seeker using Jung's principles is not helpful or wise?

What about using Jung for only personal use? Do you think there are any boundaries or limitations there?

Teheuti

Marina - I'm also curious how one might separate a Jungian interpretation of one or more cards as the anima (for instance), from recognizing a possible anima energy in a man's reading when he gets those cards. Doesn't your own recognition of possible anima energy become an *application* of the principle and thus an influence on your reading—whether you mention "anima" to the man or not?

Teheuti

JSNYC said:
but for an (untrained) reader to psychoanalyze and try to help a seeker using Jung's principles is not helpful or wise?
Doesn't psychoanalysis take years?

firecatpickles

I don't know anything about Jung. it seems rather odd to superimpose a modern psycology over a deck of cards used in gaming that originated in the 16th century, anachronistic.

My taste in tarot leans more toward historical decks.

JSNYC

Teheuti said:
Doesn't psychoanalysis take years?
That is why I italicized it, I was using it as sort of slang for a psychological workup, etc.

Actually, this whole concept you are mentioning is new to me. The fact that Jung could be dangerous... I am dumbfounded. This is the first I have heard this debate, at least specifically about Jung. I don't think Jung is any more dangerous than the Tarot, or food, or sex, or (safe, common, legal) drugs, self-help books (seen Requiem for a Dream!?! Great movie!) or anything. So I am just interested in hearing someone's opinion why. I don't care to refute it, I would just like to know.

Although, I do think plunging into Jung, carelessly, irresponsibly, without thought, is probably dangerous. But I also think that person is probably just looking for something to be dangerous with.

But because I am new to all this, I am still feeling my way around. So I also may not even know all that is out there that may be associated with Jung, that people may consider dangerous. So I am curious…

ETA:
I am curious about anything specifically. The general or theoretical case has been made in other threads. I haven't heard anything specifically, other than possibly active imagination. I guess my question is, if Jung is supposed to be dangerous, why? Where or what specifically is the danger?

MareSaturni

Teheuti said:
Marina - I'm also curious how one might separate a Jungian interpretation of one or more cards as the anima (for instance), from recognizing a possible anima energy in a man's reading when he gets those cards. Doesn't your own recognition of possible anima energy become an *application* of the principle and thus an influence on your reading—whether you mention "anima" to the man or not?

Of course, i believe it's impossible to utterly separate both things. If you are using Jungian principles in your tarot reading, to some point you'll be dealing with your querent in a more Jungian manner. I think i expressed myself wrongly. I wanted to say that you can use Jung with Tarot, but the fact that you study his theories don't make you a Jungian therapist. Don't entitle you to treat your querent based on your Jungian studies. Unless, of course, you are a therapist and uses tarot in your method.

My fear whenever people mix things that come from two different areas is that the overlapping, while enriching, may create confusion for some - specially because tarot and therapy seem some close sometimes. Back in the University i had two Psychology classes, and learnt many theories, such as Freud, Jung, Lacan and so on. The fact i studied those things may appear in my tarot reading, because they are part of my knowledge, but doesn't entitle me to act as a professional of the area when i'm not.

Personally, i find Jung's ideas great and think they can only enrich the experience of the tarot :)