Is "Oracle Tarot" an oracle or tarot deck?

The Happy Squirrel

Not that I am too concerned about definitions, but this deck by Lucy Canvendish has had all the traditional court cards removed. Everything else is standard tarot though. I am hoping to ask some questions but not sure if I should post it on the Tarot or Oracle section.....

ravynangel

deleted :)

The Happy Squirrel

Ah. Hm. Interesting!! :D
It really threw me off just now....! I do comparative spread all the time so I was trying to find the King of Wands and can't find it and of course I realized that there is no courts in this deck!

So for oracle.... does it function the same way as tarot? I prefer to stick to small spreads, e.g. three to four card spread, that is it.

Cenozoic

I think since the deck follows the tarot system (minus the courts), it's a tarot deck, that is just titled "Oracle".

ravynangel

Ah. Hm. Interesting!! :D
It really threw me off just now....! I do comparative spread all the time so I was trying to find the King of Wands and can't find it and of course I realized that there is no courts in this deck!

So for oracle.... does it function the same way as tarot? I prefer to stick to small spreads, e.g. three to four card spread, that is it.

The Happy Squirrel

Cenozoic, this is what I was thinking as well! As you can see I am a little confused :D Again, not so much because I care for definitions, just wondering how I can use a tarot system sans the court cards exactly.....

The Happy Squirrel

I have only ever used it for short term, three card spreads and doubt I would use it for anything other than a fleeting question. It has some of the principles of tarot, but really is an oracle to me. Courts are an important part of tarot.

For context, I am a beginner, so I have not yet grasp the the place of the court cards in the system yet. This was going to be my question in this forum, but then I was not sure where to post my question. The tarot section or the oracle section :)

But say this is a tarot minus court cards. In what way will this absence of court cards effects our reading?

ravynangel

For context, I am a beginner, so I have not yet grasp the the place of the court cards in the system yet. This was going to be my question in this forum, but then I was not sure where to post my question. The tarot section or the oracle section :)

But say this is a tarot minus court cards. In what way will this absence of court cards effects our reading?

nisaba

Not that I am too concerned about definitions, but this deck by Lucy Canvendish has had all the traditional court cards removed. Everything else is standard tarot though. I am hoping to ask some questions but not sure if I should post it on the Tarot or Oracle section.....

<grin> It's a Tarot. I think of it as the shopping Tarot, and I rarely-if-ever pull it out - not keen on shopping or shopping-trolleys.

As to the difference between tarots and oracles:

All horses are animals, but not all animals are horses.
All Tarots are oracles, but not all oracles are Tarots.

You don't have to find between-words for them - the strictest-structured and most traditional Tarot deck is still an oracle, just as a thoroughbred horse is still an animal.