UN-Collecting

gregory

Well yeah, same here (internationally and locally), but it always gets there. I sent some legal documents by registered mail recently, and with registered mail it has to be signed for, so it is a guarantee it gets there. But I've been using unregistered mail, ordinary mail, since the 1970s, which doesn't have tracking, and letters and parcels get where they're going. I don't see a problem with continuing to do that.
I have known of valuable parcels that went permanently AWOL - I have claimed insurance on one in my time, too. I have also known of at least two members here (since banned) who got their parcels and lied about it - and there was no tracking PROOF so no-one could FULLY call them out. (When they later post about having the deck on facebook, you get a pretty good idea - but then they say they got it elsewhere. Yeah right.)

Not to mention the one who sold the SAME DECK (yes, I mean the exact same copy) TO TWO PEOPLE HERE - and swore it was tracked and had arrived... This one was sorted by our excellent mods, and she was banned - but many of us have been aware of these things. And since tracking doesn't work outside country of origin - I entirely sympathise with people who will only mail pricey stuff where it CAN be PROPERLY tracked.

KristinCali

Not to mention the one who sold the SAME DECK (yes, I mean the exact same copy) TO TWO PEOPLE HERE - and swore it was tracked and had arrived... This one was sorted by our excellent mods, and she was banned...

HA! No way. What a biotch.

earthair

It is actually very possible and easy to send things tracked from the US to UK... thanks to the wonder that is the interweb I know exactly where a certain parcel is being held in the clutches of Royal Snail prior to delivery :joke: Please don't let that put you off trading across the pond!

Stormdancer

It is actually very possible and easy to send things tracked from the US to UK... thanks to the wonder that is the interweb I know exactly where a certain parcel is being held in the clutches of Royal Snail prior to delivery :joke: Please don't let that put you off trading across the pond!

If I need to I may ask for your help with this.

gregory

Congratulations. I have email from Royal Mail saying it cannot hold up, and they have no idea where x is (I got it...) and from UPS saying it doesn't hold up outside the country. But never mind.

As for Royal Mail itself - well, I sent my passport application to the Canadian High Commission 7 years ago. Registered AND signed for, together with notification of delivery. Which means you are supposed to get a postcard back (I THINK they don't do that one any more.).

I became concerned a week later, as they ALWAYS get the passport back to you within that time. I tracked on line - nada - it said "in transit." I phoned the High Commission who confirmed that they had mailed the passport that very day - and said this happens all the time. And indeed it arrived the following day. I check from time to time for my own amusement. It still shows my application as undelivered and unsigned for. They have also lost and compensated me for no less than 6 packages over the years, as I always get proof of posting. So no - I fully support people not wanting to send outside the country.

Stormdancer

Congratulations. I have email from Royal Mail saying it cannot hold up, and they have no idea where x is (I got it...) and from UPS saying it doesn't hold up outside the country. But never mind.

As for Royal Mail itself - well, I sent my passport application to the Canadian High Commission 7 years ago. Registered AND signed for, together with notification of delivery. Which means you are supposed to get a postcard back (I THINK they don't do that one any more.).

I became concerned a week later, as they ALWAYS get the passport back to you within that time. I tracked on line - nada - it said "in transit." I phoned the High Commission who confirmed that they had mailed the passport that very day - and said this happens all the time. And indeed it arrived the following day. I check from time to time for my own amusement. It still shows my application as undelivered and unsigned for. They have also lost and compensated me for no less than 6 packages over the years, as I always get proof of posting. So no - I fully support people not wanting to send outside the country.

Oh. LOL

earthair

Don't congratulate me yet gregory :joke: there was a moment over the weekend when they marked it 'collected by addressee' when what they meant to write was 'in transit' *doh*

... foolproof and accurate it ain't!

earthair

At a pinch, stormy, I will mule for you....

Paying gregory's airfare between a few of us has to be cheaper than getting robbed at customs :D