App rant

dancing_moon

Thank you for bringing your experience to the thread :) Maybe that's what it is: extra focus.Do you venture the bigger spreads with them (CC etc) or do you stick to the PPF and one card ones ? visually, I find it really hard to work with the bigger spreads although my phone has a pretty large screen...

It's mostly 1- and 3-card spreads. It doesn't have to be PPF even if it says so in the app, though: with a little creativity, short spreads can be endlessly versatile. E.g. I like 'me, them, the relationship' for a quick relationship snapshot, and 'problem, cause, solution' for a brief overview of a problem.

Bigger spreads are not only more difficult visually, they're also more time-consuming, and as a rule, I only have that much free time at home, near my physical decks. :)

jolie_amethyst

You are welcome, ana luisa :) I have the Fool's Dog Tarot Sampler apps, they enabled me to make quite a few unexpected purchases :grin: But my problem with these is I cannot riffle, shuffle and pick my cards. The app ALWAYS selects the cards for me.

On what device? The Fool's Dog apps for both iPhone & iPad allow you to do all these things. You can even pick cards manually if you want to document a paper card spread you've done.

ana luisa--I'd recommend buying the app of a paper deck you read easily with, to start. You should have little trouble reading with that, and will get you past the mental block of reading from a screen.

I'm 44 and use apps daily. You're not too old!

ana luisa

On what device? The Fool's Dog apps for both iPhone & iPad allow you to do all these things. You can even pick cards manually if you want to document a paper card spread you've done.

ana luisa--I'd recommend buying the app of a paper deck you read easily with, to start. You should have little trouble reading with that, and will get you past the mental block of reading from a screen.

That is a GREAT idea! Will do ! :thumbsup:

I'm 44 and use apps daily. You're not too old!

Thank you. You're so sweet :)

mrpants

I've only used a few apps, but so far the stand out is the Holy Light app. There are a number of shuffling options, daily draws, more spreads than any sane person needs, and you can design your own spread. It also comes with a VERY hefty book, that pretty much does the reading for you. Check it out!

Girl Archer

On what device? The Fool's Dog apps for both iPhone & iPad allow you to do all these things.

Oh, I was not aware of this Jolie. I use the Redmi Note 4G as well as the Sony Xperia T2 Ultra dual/duos. Basically both Android devices.

Scarlet Woodland

Oh, I was not aware of this Jolie. I use the Redmi Note 4G as well as the Sony Xperia T2 Ultra dual/duos. Basically both Android devices.

Both of my devices are androids as well and I can still riffle/cut/wash as many times as I like. There's a box in the settings which you can select or deselect (I forget which) to skip straight to the reading... maybe have a fiddle in the settings to see if this is the prob. :) Hopefully can sort it out this way as they have some great decks.

Farzon

Thank you for calling me young :) I do feel old because I still prefer physical-paper books because they are easier on the eyes, bring a calmer atmosphere and have margins where i can scribble my insights . I also love to write using paper and pen and miss letters SO much. who knows, I may get used to this new technology after all.
I'm 28 and feel exactly the same!
Given the catastrophic financial crisis in my country and scorching taxes, I decided to stop buying physical decks abroad. So, I gave the apps a chance. Much much cheaper, the quality of the images are phenomenal and VERY easy to work with. But, I realized I just can't read with it... I don't know why, and I wonder if it's just because I'm not used to the medium or because I am addicted to touching the real stuff. I wonder how other readers deal with this if they also feel like reading with an app is like hitting a brick wall :(
BTW, the Tarot I went for was the Ostara. A true work of art.
I have a few apps on my phone, including the Ostara. I like them to practice my skills and sometimes they give me similar cards as my physical readings. SoI guess they work, if you use them in the right state of mind. Nevertheless an app to me never feels as important and meaningful as a reading in real cards. I guess I'm more old-fashioned than my spirit guides! [emoji28] [emoji317] [emoji336]

Scarlet Woodland

I'm 28 and feel exactly the same!

I have a few apps on my phone, including the Ostara. I like them to practice my skills and sometimes they give me similar cards as my physical readings. SoI guess they work, if you use them in the right state of mind. Nevertheless an app to me never feels as important and meaningful as a reading in real cards. I guess I'm more old-fashioned than my spirit guides! [emoji28] [emoji317] [emoji336]

I'm the same... do find them great though for getting a zoomed in look at some of the smaller, more detailed decks and trying out new decks I'm undecided on. I mainly use them for daily draws and when I don't want to pull out a deck in public ;)

danieljuk

Ana you are fabulously young :)
I love the apps I have on my phone! Interestingly I now hate ebooks! I need real books and I have tried ebooks but to actually read them through I want the words on paper. But apps seem no problem to me. I find taking one card from the digital decks better than from a real deck, so prefer them for daily readings and short readings and then prefer real decks for larger readings!

I have been using digital decks on my phone for 4 years now, so maybe I am used to them? I also use my phone way too much with apps anyway so maybe that is linked? perhaps you just don't like that deck as that app Ana?

Although if I go away I just take digital apps on my phone and got told off on AT by a forum friend who demanded I always have mini decks with me as well as the apps ;) Not got around to buying them yet! I can see how both versions have a place in my life!

What about just taking one card a day or using it for a daily card (if it has that feature?) Ana? gets you used to it. Agree with Girl Archer though the Galaxy apps which have associations and how many symbols have come up in the reading is really useful! It always makes me smile because the Queen of Wands is the only RWS card with a black cat and it says "this reading features a black cat" :) I would say don't give up on them yet! :heart:

Scarlet Woodland

There's me saying I use them to zoom in on the small, detailed decks and realised I hadn't got the Paulina <slaps forehead>. What an ejit. Doing that now... will make SUCH a difference.