Do you keep your Tarot doing a secret?

Thoughtful

Yes Gregory perhaps my choice of the word tolerance was not what l meant to convey, but rather acceptance as you suggest.

"the lion would eat the lamb" don't you just love a child's innocent logic :laugh:

Barleywine

I did get an "HRU is My Muse" bumper sticker with my Tabula Mundi Colores Arcus deck but I decided not to put it on my pick-up truck, right next to the "Trout Unlimited" sticker. That would given it an identity crisis! :) I'd have to explain that one even to the few "tarot-savvy" people in my area. So I put it on one of my deck carrying cases instead.

By the way, the Watchtower does make a good addition to my wood-stove kindling when I run out of newspaper. But I don't see JWs here much in the winter, they're mainly a fair-weather phenomenon. I may have scared them away for good, though; one lady was at the back door looking in when I came out of the shower into the kitchen without my robe on. You never saw someone do the "duck-and-cover" so fast. I didn't notice whether she used the Watchtower to hide the terrifying vision.

gregory

We had a pair show up once in the UK, and they asked nervously, "Is the same guy still living in "x" house. We said yes.

We noted they bypassed it. I can imagine the kind of thing he would have said to them.

danieljuk

I sort of keep mine a secret, I tell some people and some people I don't! It's completely up to you who you want to share it with but if someone has a religious, moral or sceptical issues with tarot and divination, there could be consequences.

I don't really care to be honest if people find out, it's a hobby and interest of mine and I love it. Most people have at least one odd / unconventional hobby that they only share to their close friends :p But I don't tell everyone and keep it a little quiet in some areas of my life just because I don't want to be mocked really. It's just easier currently.

If you are learning, feeling a little lacking in confident about yourself or really need to live with your family / live in a very conservative area, I would be careful. But it's up to you who you want to tell. Nothing wrong with it but it's a little sad when people don't know an interest of yours that makes you, you! :)

Barleywine

We had a pair show up once in the UK, and they asked nervously, "Is the same guy still living in "x" house. We said yes.

We noted they bypassed it. I can imagine the kind of thing he would have said to them.

I have a long history of inadvertently terrorizing them. The only time I ever did it intentionally was when I tried to discourage my JW aunt from trying to convert my mother with VERY LOUD Frank Zappa music. That was well before Aleister Crowley transformed me forever, but in retrospect a "HRU is My Muse" t-shirt with a picture of the Thoth Devil on it would probably have been more effective.

Thoughtful

may have scared them away for good, though; one lady was at the back door looking in when I came out of the shower into the kitchen without my robe on. You never saw someone do the "duck-and-cover" so fast. I didn't notice whether she used the Watchtower to hide the terrifying vision.

Oh my, the poor wee thing is probably still in recovery :)

Well we can't say it was Barleywine's house unless he made a quick trip over to the UK.

Barleywine

Well we can't say it was Barleywine's house unless he made a quick trip over to the UK.

I wouldn't have brow-beaten them anyway. I'm more of a "show" than a "tell" type, I guess. :D Maybe I would have offered them a reading, that would have done the trick.

Thoughtful

I'm more of a "show" than a "tell" type, I guess

:laugh: That was evident and it obviously worked, so save your breath and your tarot cards and don your Au Natural look again.

Emeraud

I am very new to studying Tarot (started January 2nd!) My spouse knows, and three dear friends of mine know, who happen to practice various faith traditions. Now that those folk know, I feel less like I'm carrying some dark secret about myself. It has allowed me to study with a clearer mind and a more open heart.

Still, I'm not ready to shout it from the rooftops. I'm not ready for the energy that comes with people knowing you read tarot. I'm still young and vulnerable LOL

rylla

People in this country aren't too familiar with tarot. They don't talk about it and I don't really know what they think about it (and never occurred me to ask -don't really care). I had my first encounter with a tarot deck in Canada; since I wasn't familiar with it before that I didn't have any prejudice in this regard. I never thought of it as good or bad: it just IS (to my delight :)). I don't keep it as a secret but I don't advertise it either. For me it's a private thing. Of course my friends know about it and I do reading to them occasionally. I always mention to them what I read about it once: tarot is like a weather forecast and it's up to them what they do with the info.