So how did you all get into tarot?

Alta

I took my first job, and it was to a city on the other side of the continent from where I had always lived. Didn't know a soul and used to haunt bookstores. I found a wonderful bookstore with curving, private aisles and one of those iron circular staircases. Found the RWS and a tarot book. Taught myself.
I did have an interest in the occult though from a relatively early age. Started with ouija boards.

a_shikhs

Me learning tarot was a pure coincidence and maybe luck.. i was always interested in occult but didnt know much about it. it was always hidden within me. then a few months back i had gone for a short trip with my parents and their friends. and one of the aunts and me started talking about spirituality and occults. then she suddenly told me that her daughter teaches tarot. that time i had no idea what tarot was. As the saying goes 'curiousity kills the cat', i asked her to tell me all about tarot. I was so impressed and so curious about how a pack of coloured cards could tell you about yourself. I went back home and immediately contacted my aunt's daughter and one thing led to another... Here i am with my tarot cards doing readings for other people. All thanks to my tarot teacher 'Rashmi'... She brought out this passion in me and has helped me ever since... Im glad i met her and now am very close to her and really really thank her for showing me a whole new side of life....

psychicbody

I always was, but did not actually get into doing cartomancy until I was mabie 14.
When I first read the book "Mysteries Of The Unknown: Visions And Prophecies", it gave me a good groundwork for understanding how to interpret cards and numbers.
I used a deck of playing cards for a while, along with a Tarot Of The Witches deck; sometimes modifying Magic: The Gathering cards. A friend bought me my first oracle deck, called Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Cards. That went on for over ten years, when I finally got The Revelations Tarot, over this past Summer.

Abrac

I saw some in a book store and was curious, the rest is history.

ff

vision777

a beatiful mistake

i was sixteen at my high school library looking for a book on zodiac signs and pick up a book that was located in the same section as astrology. then without looking at the cover of this book i started fliping through pages,i must of saw the pages where they tell you which signs match the MAJOR ARACANA and confused it with a zodiac book. i took it out anyway and when i got home i was like what's this a tarot cards book i don't even have tarot cards oh well, then i put the book in my book shelf and forgot all about it even forgot to return it back to the library.then when i was eighteen 1998 iwas working a summer job i had remember about the book then out of the blue i just thought to buy some tarot cards when i get my pay check and i did. to this day i'm still wondering how come i never bother to read the cover i guess it was meant to be ! by the way the book was called the tarot revealed by eden gray .

Emeraldgirl

A friend's mum taught me a bit when I was younger. Her kids weren't interested in "weird things" like that. I didn't really study for a while after my family mocved away from the area but got back into it a few years ago.

squeakmo9

On a trip back to where I was born, I was 15 and my mom's friend had been doing tarot for a while and began to instruct me. I picked up rather quickly, from what I can recall, and was rather good. I really had not read any books on tarot at the time but I read for my family anyway. At the time I would venture to do readings like what does so snd so think of me or what is Mr. X really doing in his spare time, I mean I was rather unethical without realizing it. I dropped it I guess after a year or two, my life was rather chaotic in my teen years. Then a few years ago, I picked it up again when I saw it was being offered at a local community school. I haven't picked it up as quickly the second time around but am as intrigued by it as the first time.

Dean

U.k

As the story goes,
i had went to see a local woman in my Town who read the Thoth deck. i wasn't really expecting anything to happen much in my reading until she said that my reading for told that i would be a Tarot-reader someday, it turned out that she was right?

13thFaeChylde

Growing up, my parents dragged me to the Pentecostal Holiness church every Wednesday night and twice on Sundays....it was very stifling for me as a child. I remember whenever we'd go to the mall, I'd sneak away to the magical metaphysical aisle in the B. Dalton bookseller store (this was way before Borders and Barnes+Snowballs).

Anyway, on this small couple of shelves, were the most wonderful books....and I remember a box of runes and a RW deck. I would sit and read and long for these things -- I had no idea what they were but I knew I NEEDED them. But my parents would have never allowed them, not when they burned my Prince tapes and posters, I can imagine them going cuckoo for cocoa puffs should they have ever found a tarot deck.

I remember that I got my Sacred Path deck in my early 20s...but odd as it may sound, I can't remember where or when I got my first deck!! It was Tarot of the Old Path. Man, I need a Pensieve.

brenmck

I inherited a crystal ball from my mother's belongings. It was always around but no one ever talked about it. I moved to Florida and had heard about the medium center in Cassadaga, so I made a trip there to find out if it was really what it was supposed to be. I met with a medium who said she wasn't very good with the crystals, but offered me a Tarot reading. I knew nothing about the cards then, but later I realized she was using the Original RWS. The reading was excellent, and I bought a deck on my way out of the center, determined to find out what this was all about. The medium had told me to take the crystal ball to the girl at the counter and ask her about it. The cashier got quickly involved with it and guided me through a very roundabout but eventually quite meaningful message from my deceased mother. She did this between serving a steady stream of customers on a busy Saturday and would not accept an offering for her help.