Any ATers of romani descent or interested in romani culture?

Katitzi

Being romani myself I am curious as to how many ATers outthere are either interested in romani culture in relation to tarot, divination and spirituality, and how many ATers are of romani descent themselves? Perhaps we could start a thread to discuss romani culture and tarot?

I am not looking to organize a gathering or a conference, so I don´t know if this is the right forum. Looking forward to your replies and suggestions!

Alta

Moderator note

This post was moved from Tarot Meetings & Conferences.

Please note that any discussion would need to be tarot-centred.

Thanks,
Marion

Katitzi

Thank you for your help and guidance, Marion! I will keep the strict tarot-focus in mind if anyone shows up at this doorstep!

Bat Chicken

Mi-Shell is part 'gypsy' and is new to the forum - I'll let her know about this thread....

chrisam-crystals

my mum has always said that there was romani blood in her side of the family, but i don't know if it is really true.

i know quite a few romanies where i live in the UK and they work hard to preserve their culture, and have the most beautiful vardos that i have ever come across!

they are real horsemen - and women! - and we all meet up once a year at a steam fair show a few miles form my house......every night is spent round the fires talking about horses, making a vardo and who is doing what these days.

i know that there is a romani based tarot deck and i would love to have one......but i can't for the life of me remember what it is called.

does anyone know?

jue xx

Katitzi

Bat-chicken, tell Mi-Shell that she is most welcome here!

chrisam-chrystals: Do you know anything of the relationship that your Romani acquaintances have to tarot cards?

I think the deck you are thinking of might be the Buckland Romani Tarot, does that ring a bell?

Mi-Shell

I had several questions myself!

Hi everyone!
I am Mi-Shell and 1)new here on At
2) part Romani, part Siberian First Nations
3) had several questions regarding the tarot cards my grandmother used in
a) my newby thread called "Hi and good evening from rainy Ontario" that
since disappeared without a trace and 43 responses!! ??????
b) on talking tarot .....also disappeared...
Have no clue how AT works and where old threads go, but got some answers to the card questions.
I know of someone else with romani connections and could let her know IF i could find any of the threads......

Know a little about what went on in our clan and willing to share...
wrote about it in either thread... Where are they???
Mi-Shell

chrisam-crystals

buckland...that's the one! :D

as far as i know tarot cards were never used by my mum's family, they much preferred to read hands and tea leaves.....it is my dad's side where my tarot teachings come from. (my grandma was among the first wave of wiccans - she is 86)

also the romanies that i know don't use cards at all.....they ask ME to read for them! lol

whenever i have asked them about it they always say that cards weren't used by their forefathers/mothers, but they can't give an explanation for it.

could it depend i wonder on whereabouts they originated from?

i know that romanies are all over the world and came from india, but could the cultures that they integrated into influence the ways that they foretell the future?

some areas used cards, some used astrology and others used palms.....never really thought about it before!

jue xx

baba-prague

Yes, it's interesting, the variation in the use of cards. The local Roma shop here recently said (in an interview with the owner) that they offered readings with "traditional Roma cards", so I dashed over there only to find... one of the Piatnik oracle decks! (which aren't all that old - maybe 100 years at most, though I think rather less) and which certainly aren't Roma in origin. Big disappointment. But I think that you may be right and the answer is that the local Roma in different regions simply picked up (or didn't) the cards used locally. It would be good to see more research done on this.