How to make a deck smell good

Papageno

in order to kill the spores and bacteria that cause the offending odor, expose them to sunlight (ultraviolet rays etc.) .......the idea is like hanging your laundry on a clothes line to get that country fresh smell (sounds like a laundry detergent ad LOL :laugh:). I don't have a backyard or a clothes line but my terrace is fine.

dry cold winter air is best for airing out and the sun isn't strong enough to harm the colors.
don't do this in muggy hot weather, it will only encourage bad things to grow and summer sun will damage the printing.
I leave mine out 48 hours . find a way to secure them obviously so they don't blow away.

Briar Rose

yeah, putting them in a box of scented candles sounds like the best idea. I guess dryer sheets is okay now that they have Lavender and Sage ones out.

MysticalMoose

Destinkifying Honking Decks

I have some cards that didnt pong of cigarettes they just stunk awful...heaven knows what gave them the smell but poooo...Madame Endora for example really hummed...I found that after wafting her in the garden in a box with holes in the top @ 6am on a cold windy morning much to the amusement of my cigar smoking neighbour....I chopped up one of my favourite Nag Champa incense sticks into a small gauzy bag & popped it a box with her & now she smells lovely,:D

gregory

The small Lunatic were the worst EVER........... There is even a THREAD !

lark

Odor absorbing kitty litter.....

MysticalMoose

Don't tell me I gotta get a cat now....;) ????

Mimers

I'm gonna try sticking in a box with some baking soda to start. Then I will put a piece of inscense in a bag with it and see what happens. Wish me luck. If that doesn't work I will try the dryer thing, although I really don't want to wear it out.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

gregory

I didn't use my dryer sheet in the dryer..... :D

Send the left over kitty litter to me, MysticalMoose !
Ours can wee on it............. :D

celticnoodle

if you go to bed bath and beyond, they also have a product that you can purchase to hang in a room where it smells musty/or smokey to get rid of the smell. I forget what it's called, but I purchased some for our dirt floor basement. If I recall correctly, it has a genie on the package. The stuff comes in a handy little bag--so nothing you have to actually handle yourself. It works great too! My mother also puts it in her bathrooms. You can get this & put it into a zip lock bag w/the cards for a few days, and see what the results are. I also taped one to the lid of our large outside garbage can---because that can was becoming quite bad smelling. however, the dryer sheets may work wonders also! good luck!

lark

Hey stop making fun of my kitty litter :(....it works.
I bought a bunch of old books that smelled musty and smokey and I put them in a plastic bag and poured CLEAN kitty litter in the bag, the kind that has the odor absorbing pellets in it and the books came out smelling clean and fresh a week later.