Reviving the One Deck Wonder

thorhammer

Thankyou! Now I've solved one of the Pressing Mysteries of the day, I'm off to bed to dream of feather mattresses and skipping pixies . . . :D

\m/ Kat

firefrost

thorhammer said:
Ah-huh! *pounces*

You can tell me! What is "IIT"??? Yes, stupid clueless person here . . . and curious! :D

\m/ Kat

Nice one, ((Kat)) :) I knew if I waited long enough someone else would ask!!

:D :D :thumbsup:

Anna

Unintentionally, I've been one-deck-wondering with the Thoth for about 4 months now. I use tarot virtually every day and so I've become very familiar with the cards and how they make sense in my life.

Before this, I had spent 10 years exclusively working with the RWS, followed by about 3 years exclusively working with the Marseille. It was about time Thoth had a turn! I guess it is kind of time consuming spending so many years on it, and it wasn't something I had planned, but I am glad that I've learned Tarot this way. And I am glad I saved Thoth for last because it is really mind blowing, and I wouldn't have understood much of the deeper stuff if this is where I had started out.

I think there really is a lot to be said for working exclusively with one deck.

6 Haunted Days

Ah yes, the IIT, what a great deck! Magnificent in it's simplicity and Ator's use of colours iss truly inspired and a large component of reading and studying.

Certainly an excellent choice for an ODW if you want to strip Tarot down to basics and learn to just "read".

Star-Willow

Kat, just found ya thread :)

I've decided to join in, I'm going to take this opportunity and run.... with my Thoth })

If my faeries arrive in-time from Solitaire*, I'll use them for my Oracle deck :)

Not sure about a time-frame but I will follow similar rules of only using both decks, no other decks... so help me Goddess :D

Good on you girl for cranking this up, I needed this swift kick up the pants to get stuck into my Thoth deck, I can see it being a huge challange but I'm up for it :) (if I could get some support along the way, that'd be ace ;))

:heart:
star*

Raya

I think the forum needs a sticky with explanations of all the TLAs tarot users use. (*TLA= Three Letter Acronym) Some threads I can only get the gist of.

Anyway, I've also been a one-deck wonder for the last few months. It wasn't on purpose. the Robin Wood was my first, and after using it for a while I started buying this deck and that deck, and I got my hands on a Thoth and thought I wanted to study that, but I couldn't get into it. And then suddenly I found that the only deck I wanted to use was my original. It fits like a glove. It's like an old friend. That could change, (probably will) but I'm sticking with it for now.

For a while before that I had avoided my Robin Wood. It felt like I had used it so much that my readings with it were stagnant. I had too many preconceived notions of the cards. I don't know why that changed. Maybe getting away from it, I kinda forgot those preconceived notions, learned some new symbols and interpretations working with the other decks, and when I came back to the Robin Wood I could see new things in them.

Anyone know what I mean? Maybe this sentiment has been expressed before, and I just didn't read the thread carefully enough. ;)

lilith_in_tree

Alrighty, I've slept on it and hashed out the details for myself, and I am committing to the ODW :)
I drew a card from the VR this morning to see what she thinks of the idea, and I got Strength--very auspicious, one of my favorite cards in this deck, and that made me feel good about it.
So I'll be sticking to what I've been doing already with this deck--I'm journaling each of the cards, and I think for my study I'm only going to use the companion book, and then sparingly, no other books, no other decks (except checking the one I have coming in the mail to make sure it's all right), no oracles for me (haven't used one yet anyway), just me and my VR and my notebook.
I'm going to do this until June or July--I'm planning on taking the Marseille correspondence course with the Noblet, so that seems like a natural end-point. And then I suppose I'll do the ODW with that deck :D
I'm very glad this thread was started now--perfect timing.

Le Fanu

I started my Vieville focus on the 1st March. Im just stipulating a month to start with. Nothing extreme, just the chance to really plummmet the depths of a deck undistracted. And I do spend quite a lot of time with my deck so I figure a month is enough to start with. Im having a great time, and we´ve got a great thread going over in the Marseilles Section about the King of Cups´hat!!

Just the sheer pleasure of looking closely and intensely at something. I also like the fact that I don´t have any literature specific to this deck. Of course there´s the general tarot literature, but it isnt a deck that comes with a manual.

I like this...

And best of all, there are all the postings here which provoke new directions of thought...

Astraea Aurora

To be honest, I'm on my personal ODW for two months already. Using the Bohemian Gothic (Silver and regular) as I think this deck really deserves quality time for study and all.

My personal rules are:

* BG is my only reading deck. :love:
* BG is my only study deck. :love:
* Companion book and LWB are OUT. Only deck, pen and paper (er ... blog ...) is allowed.
* This will go for six months.
* I'm allowed to look at other decks.
* I'm allowed to buy only decks that are on my wishlist (see profile) for more than one month and kept coming back in my mind during this time. (So far it's Favole and Vargo Gothic who stick the most.)
* I'm not allowed to use them for study and reading. Some shuffle here and there while I'm reading in the forum (for relaxation) is allowed.
* My reward after six months will be a new deck! (Due: June 30, 2008) (Not sure which deck - I had intended to buy the regular BG after June 30, but it came across my path way earlier than I had thought and it kept stalking me till I bought it. :D)

So good to see that I'm not the only one who got infected by the ODW bug. :D

Astraea Aurora :grin:

SolSionnach

Astraea Aurora said:
* Companion book and LWB are OUT. Only deck, pen and paper (er ... blog ...) is allowed.
* I'm allowed to buy only decks that are on my wishlist (see profile) for more than one month and kept coming back in my mind during this time. (So far it's Favole and Vargo Gothic who stick the most.)
* My reward after six months will be a new deck! (Due: June 30, 2008)
So good to see that I'm not the only one who got infected by the ODW bug. :D
Astraea Aurora :grin:

Hi Astaea and group,
I love your rules that I edited above - particularly the idea of a reward! Maybe mine will be a trip to the beach with some friends (goddess knows I have enough tarot decks!)

Kat, thanks so much for bringing this up again, I've been thinking the same thing myself.

I have to add as Astraea indicated above: the original ODW did *not* allow the use of any companion books or LWB. The point was (IIRC) not to particularly *learn* a particular deck, as much as to awaken one's intuition. That's why so many folks used the IIT - you have to work with your intuition on that one! Ask Satori about it - it really works! But if you're using the LWB etc, you would know the deck inside out for what the author/artist was intending, of course. Different purposes. In my case, I would do the ODW (or TDW, see below!) in order to truly learn the decks.

That being said, I have no idea which deck to choose! I :heart: the WoC, Greenwood, Shining Tribe, and Haindl right now - and they have such complex symbolism that I think I would need to use their companion books (especially as I just ordered the revised ed. of the Haindl books!)

If I had to choose today, I'd say Haindl, with a side of Greenwood - no oracle. I know, that's not a ODW, that's TDW! ;) The problem with the Greenwood is the keywords - I'd love to trim those off, but can't bring myself to do that. I just trimmed Haindl (!!YES!!), and it's an absolutely new deck after that. I definitely see more in the cards this way. :D Or perhaps I should just go with Haindl and Shining Woman - a double dose of Rachel Pollack's wisdom! Or perhaps WoC and Greenwood.... you get the idea.

Okay.

I'm going to start on the 23rd - Easter. I should decide by then what deck I'll be using.
* I will use the companion book
* I will limit myself to two decks, unless I can narrow it down to one.
* I will journal/blog a couple times a week
* I'm NOT allowed to look at other decks, exception: if I buy something off my wishlist. I know that If I look at other decks (particularly among the 4 I'm severely interested in) I will be unfaithful. Heaven forfend!
* I'm allowed to buy only decks that are on my wishlist
* I will do this for 3 months, then give myself a huge reward!