Tarot still not embraced by all.

Disa

cirom said:
Once again my thoughts on this are really one of surprize and sympathy to the numerous readers out their who presumably might be affected or limited in some way by how Tarot is obviously still precieved. Any extreme views that include insistance on being right and require opposite ones to be restricted are scary.

I'm sorry you had to experience this at all, Ciro. I'd hardly call myself a reader a this point, but I am a writer. When the tarot and the writing worlds collided, I was shocked at the responses and perceptions by some of the people I love. I've been very much aware of the perceptions of the massess, living in the bible belt. I think it's worse when friends and family are the ones who are extreme. Stay true to your heart, Ciro. That's all anyone can do.

janstar17

cirom said:
This may not come as a great surprize to many of you, but for me, not being a reader, I haven't up until now experienced how Tarot is still negatively perceived, feared, rejected .... whatever.

My mother always told me that fear is lack of knowledge. When I come across someone who has intentionally shut out something from their life -- be it art or tarot or a different belief system than theirs -- I feel sorry for them. They miss out on so much beauty in this world!!

If they knew your art like the tarot world does they would thank their lucky stars for the opportunity to work along side of you.

Your next creation is gorgeous -- amazing actually, and full of grace and divine soul!! BRAVO!! I can't wait to add it to my Ciro collection. :)

All Is One

Well, Ciro, you got schooled. I was raised by "intellectual" parents. I don't know how to deal with their elitist views except by using quotes around that word and by trying to root those views out of my own perspective. I was cruelly surprised that even my mother, who had many decks of her own for meditation, and was a musician, and a Unitarian minister, felt that my study of tarot was silly and "out there." She couldn't listen to a word of what I said about the larger meaning of tarot, or to anything at all that might have broadened her view of tarot. My father is a professor of biochemistry and he refuses to acknowledge that human beings have a soul. (Yikes.) He thinks I have lost my mind.

I find that most people without much experience of tarot have huge biases and fears regarding tarot. They project their fantasies and their fears onto the subject of tarot as a whole without ever trying to learn anything about it.

I was asked by someone who had read my page on myspace if I was a satan worshiper. She's a painter, a good one, and has a background in paganism on a much more serious and organized level than I do. (I don't call myself a pagan but an occultist.) Yet my mention of tarot was enough for her to ask me if I worshiped satan.

Of course, I don't believe in satan. But I was offended by her question. In fact, I was more offended than I probably should have been.

I think tarot fascinates and frightens people who have no experience of it. Experience of the tarot is the only answer to these reactions, and I doubt that will happen with the sort of people who judge things without knowing anything about them.

Bernice

All is One said: "They project their fantasies and their fears onto the subject of tarot as a whole without ever trying to learn anything about it."
And of course, this is the crux of it Ciro. But for a (so-called) Christian to behave in this way is clear indication that they arn't carrying out what Jesus instructed them to do; treat every man as a brother (love 'em). It's so blatently the opposite of Christian behaviour!

Self-rightousness and ignorance go hand-in-hand.

Bee

Indigo Rose

cirom said:
This may not come as a great surprize to many of you, but for me, not being a reader, I haven't up until now experienced how Tarot is still negatively perceived, feared, rejected .... whatever.

I'm sorry you've been yet another victim of intolerance and judgments laid down by 'Christians'. It really hurts me to see it continue. This is not of Christ at all, but rather anti-Christ.

Your work is beautiful and spiritually inspiring to me. I have both of your decks, and anticipate your next one with great excitement.

God Bless you in your work. Thank you for blessing us with your gift of Art.

:heart: IR

Major Tom

cirom said:
Once again my thoughts on this are really one of surprize and sympathy to the numerous readers out their who presumably might be affected or limited in some way by how Tarot is obviously still precieved.

Welcome to the club cirom. :)

Even in 'enlightened' England negative perceptions of tarot abound. I run into these problems repeatedly and am continually surprised.

Ange

I find that an awful lot of people still feel threatened by tarot.

I've mentioned my oracle cards to some, and even through I've said they are based upon the Victorian's love of flowers and the meaning they put on them, I get many a 'stiff' face looking back at me....

Goodness only knows what would happen if I turned up with my tarot deck.....

Ang x

firefrost

My colleagues have no idea that I read tarot, which is a shame.

One place where I worked, I got told, "It's not natural" to my face, and "It's evil" behind my back.

I think my current workmates would brand me a witch and have me burned at the stake.

(After, of course, they'd had their free reading! ) ;)

bluecaffeine

tarot is not embraced by all

I think, tarot has a bad reputation from the astro-shows on TV. These shows are ridiculous. So people get a wrong imagination of the power of the cards, they forget their own responsibility for their lives. I wouldn't tell my colleagues as well, it is too much for them when I wear a t-shirt with a celtic symbol or celtic bracelets or rings.

Demon Goddess

Ciro... sometimes when we get asked to do a job, we are given certain criteria that we agree with and others with which we don't agree.

Frankly I think being asked to set aside something in order to do a job is one of those things that you simply look inside to see whether or not you can live with long enough to do the job... Does this person deserve your work, would be the ultimate question.

One wouldn't say to Michaelangelo, paint my ceiling, but whatever you do, don't use red paint! Or say to Spielberg, film this story, but don't use sound.

If it feels like that, tell them to jump off.

You are an artist. Whether that be creating a film short or illustrating what is quite possibly to become one of the most beautiful tarot decks I've ever seen. You have an eye for visuals that one doesn't get to see very often. You are a talent and while starving you do as you're told, but once you become the commercial success you are destined to be, you write your own ticket and choose the jobs that don't tether you or cage your talent.

Ignorance abounds on this planet... if it didn't, we'd have all ascended by now. :)

I now have a new deck on my wish list. Do let us know when and where it is available.

ETA: Since you're already a commercial success, you should be the one doing the dictating.