XI-Lust, my own delightful threads!

Owl Tarot

XI-Lust, my own delightful and learning (hopefully) threads!

*Insert fancy title here*

Hello and welcome folks, welcome to yet another Thoth Trump! As some of you already know, I decided to start weekly threads about some of the thoughts and interpretations, as they come to me the moment I am writing, of the Trump I am currently studying. It is the third time I undergo this process (of weekly Trump study I mean) because in the previous two I gained further insight about the cards so I decided to follow this process yet again, but with a slightly different twist in it! So, anyone willing and available to provide some thoughts and opinions for me to work and contemplate about would be appreciated! I also hope that the few of my thoughts as of this post and moment help you!

The previous Trump, Fortune, unfortunately got no luv at all! Hope this Trump is more appealing for thee, it definitely is one of the Trump I luv really much (I luv all of them, just saying!)!

XI- Lust

Zodiacal Trump of Leo, which is ruled by the Sun and is exalted in Uranus

19th Path, connecting Chesed to Geburah. Hebrew letter: Teth (a serpent)

Book of Thoth said:
This Trump was formerly called*Strength. But it implies far more than strength in the ordinary sense of the word. Technical analysis shows that the Path corresponding to the card is not the*Strength of Geburah, but the influence from Chesed upon Geburah, the Path balanced both vertically and horizontally on the Tree of Life (see diagram). For this reason it has been thought better to change the traditional title. Lust implies not only strength, but the joy of strength exercised. It is vigour, and the rapture of vigour.

Well, Crowley goes on to explain to us why the title is different than the traditional one. In the more traditional depiction of this Trump, a woman opens the mouth of the lion, possibly suggesting the control of our emotions, passions and desires by our mind and willpower. But, in a sense, here we see those two aspects unified, combined and happy with each other. In a sense, married! No longer "enemies", but a natural couple functioning as one! The exercise of Strength, in this sense, is a joyful and desired process. Natural balance is maintained when opposites unite in one, and the Path of this card is balanced both horizontally and vertically upon the Tree.

Book of Thoth said:
“Come forth, O children, under the stars, & take your fill of love! I am above you and in you. My ecstasy is in yours. My joy is to see your joy.”

“Beauty and strength, leaping laughter and delicious languor, force and fire, are of us.”

Crowley goes on to present us some of the parts of Liber Al vel Legis which accurately descibe our united characters! I quoted just two which I think aid one in understanding the card.

I personally think of this Trump working on more then one levels (as do most of them actually), but I will split the rest of this post in two for this reason when I think the need arises.

Book of Thoth said:
This Trump is assigned to the sign of Leo in the Zodiac. It is the*Kerub of Fire, and is ruled by the Sun. It is the most powerful of the twelve Zodiacal cards,’ and represents the most critical of all the operations of magick and of alchemy. It represents the act of the original marriage as it occurs in nature, as opposed to the more artificial form portrayed in Atu VI; there is in this card no attempt to direct the course of the operation.

So, here we have another instance where two beings are married, just as we did in Atu VI, The Lovers. But, in this case, Crowley suggests that the marriage is natural, not directed by a third agent as in The Lovers (In The Lovers, we see The Hermit, Mercury forming the Sign of the Enterer above the couple, conducting the ritual) but is pure, lustful and fiery, as the nature of the current Aeon is. It is more a result of desire and passion then a process of analytical thinking as seen in The Lovers card.

Book of Thoth said:
*but on the Tree of Life, the path of Gimel, the Moon, descending from the highest, cuts the path of Teth, Leo, the house of the Sun, so that the Woman in the card may be regarded as a form of the Moon, very fully illuminated by the Sun, and intimately united with him in such wise as to produce, incarnate in human form, the representative or representatives of the Lord of the Aeon.

The Path of Gimel is the Priestess, Atu II, and Crowley here refers us to the marriage of the Sun and the Moon the Alchemists talked about. The Sun in depicted by the Beast, the lion-serpent and the Moon by Babalon, the woman mounting the Beast.

Book of Thoth said:
She rides astride the Beast; in her left hand she holds the reins, representing the passion which unites them. In her right she holds aloft the cup, the Holy Grail aflame with love and death. In this cup are mingled the elements of the sacrament of the Aeon. The Book of Lies devotes one chapter to this symbol.*
Waratah-Blossom
Seven are the veils of the dancing-girl in the harem of IT.
Seven are the names, and seven are the lamps beside Her bed.
Seven eunuchs guard Her with drawn swords; No man may come nigh unto Her.
In Her wine-cup are seven streams of the blood of the Seven Spirits of God.
Seven are the heads of THE BEAST whereon She rideth.
The head of an Angel: the head of a Saint: the head of a Poet
the head of an Adulterous Woman: the head of a Man of Valour: the head of a Satyr: and the head of a Lion-Serpent.
Seven letters hath Her holiest name; and it is

This is the Seal upon the Ring that is on the Forefinger of IT:
and it is the Seal upon the Tombs of them whom She hath slain,.
Here is Wisdom. Let him that hath Understanding count the Number of Our Lady; for it is the Number of a Woman; and Her Number is An Hundred and Fifty and Six.
There is a further description in The Vision and the Voice. (See Appendix.)

The reins are held by Babalon's left hand. Now, the left hand is the part of the body connected to Chesed, one of the Sephira the Path of this card connects. In her right hand she holds the Holy Grail, the Graal of the Sacrament. She is in ecstasy and she seems to be looking at the tail of the Beast, the Lion-Serpent, which is in a manner a symbol of the phallus, also of the Kundalini serpent awakened by the act depicted. So, one interpretation of the Beast is the All-Father, Chokmah, married with Babalon, Binah, the All-Mother. The Beast is looking at the Grail, which is a symbol of Binah, the womb. Their Unity spawns forth creation.

The Beast's heads are described in the passage of The Book of Lies. In a way, Crowley identifies himself with the Beast. The seven heads refer to different aspects of Crowley's life. He was a saint of the Gnostic Catholic Church, bisexual, a spy, a poet, a man whose humor was satyrical, and a man who chased his mission (an angel). Also notice that Leo was Crowley's rising zodiac sign. So, there are at least two ways of looking at the Beast. The second is the individual self. Under this light, the seven heads can refer to the seven Chakras of the body awakened through the Holy sexual act depicted here. In a different light, the sexual act of the human who is making love to his personal Universe by his interaction with it, which is the basis of Magick.

Book of Thoth said:
There is in this card a divine drunkenness or ecstasy. The woman is shown as more than a little drunk, and more than a little mad; and the lion also is aflame with lust. This signifies that the type of energy described is of the primitive, creative order; it is completely independent of the criticism of reason. This card portrays the will of the Aeon. In the background are the bloodless images of the saints, on whom this image travels, for their whole life has been absorbed into the Holy’ Grail.*
“Now ye shall know that the chosen priest & apostle of infinite space is the prince-priest the Beast; and in his woman called the Scarlet Woman all power is given. They shall gather my children into their fold; they shall bring the glory of the stars into the hearts of men.
“For he is ever a sun, and she a moon. But to him is the winged secret flame, and to her the stooping starlight.”

More symbols referring to the highly creative aspect of this card. There is no critisism of reason involved here, only passion and drive caused by sexual ecstasy and the unity between two opposites which spawns forth new creation.
If we refer to the Beast as the individual self interacting with his/her enviroment, their own space in the form of Babalon, the Saints of the background, who are bloodless, have offered all of their blood to Babalon. They have "died", their ego has been "killed", because they have offered themselves to the joy of Babalon's infinite love and they have united themselves with her Holliness, the Holliness of her as the Universe which they interact with.

Book of Thoth said:
This sacrament is the physical-magical formula for attaining initiation, for the accomplishment of the Great Work. It is in alchemy the process of distillation, operated by internal ferment, and the influence of the Sun and Moon.

This suggests to me that the Sacrament previously described is the formula of Initiation of the current Aeon we are in. It is also interesting to consider the Lion as an Alchemical symbol at this point.

The Green Lion of the Alchemists:

Physically the Green Lion was usually a name for vitriol, or the sulphuric acid created by distilling the
green crystals of iron sulphate in a flask. Iron sulphate was formed when iron ores rich in sulphides were
left to oxidise in the air, so was readily available to medieval alchemists. The sharp penetrating sulphuric
acid could create major chemical changes in many materials even to the extent of dissolving metals like
iron, and copper. The Green Lion could also be the nitric acid formed from heating saltpeter or nitre and
iron sulphate. Nitric acid when mixed with the acid derived from common salt, hydrochloric acid, produced
aqua regia, a greenish tinged liquid that could dissolve even the noble metal gold. The Green Lion devouring
the sun is a famous image in alchemy being depicted in many manuscripts and engravings, and can be thought
of as aqua regia dissolving the solar gold and forming a solution which could readily tinge metals with gold.
http://www.alchemywebsite.com/animal.html

Again, we have a symbol of Unity, Unity caused of love. Vitriol dissolves and is a process referring to Atu XIV as well as here, but essentially it represents -for me in this particular card- the function of dissolving the ego in order to unite with the totality of Babalon. Also notice that the Beast's tail has 13 rays emanating from it. Gematria informs us that 13 is a number of the words Unity and Love. It is also the number of Atu XIII, Death. It suggests to me that in killing one's part of the ego that prevents him/her from the unity of love with one's own Universe is the only way to enjoy Union with Babalon, nicely combining all symbols together.

Book of Thoth said:
Behind the figures of the Beast and his Bride are ten luminous rayed circles; they are the Sephiroth latent and not yet in order, for every new Aeon demands a new system of classification of the Universe.

At the top of the card is shown an emblem of the new light, with ten horns of the Beast, which are serpents, sent forth in every direction to destroy and re-create the world.

This card is also, in a way, one of the hieroglyphs of the new Aeon. The 10 serpents will go forward to destroy and re-create the world, Crowley suggests. I think this also refers us to the Sephira this Path connects. Chesed and Geburah are sometimes seen as the function of metabolism, anabolism (Chesed) and katabolism (Geburah). This cards ensures both are done. What is necessarily cut off by the Holy and Just blade of Geburah is absorbed back and reconstructed by the Love of Chesed.

In a sense, it may imply sacrificing (Geburah) the part of one's self that cannot experience unity with the Glory (Chesed) of God (God, in the form of Babalon, as the space which surrounds the individual and the interaction of the individual with it), and that sacrifice is what offers your blood to Babalon's Grail and allows one to become a unity with the Universe, uniting the Macrocosm with the Microcosm. The number 11 is pretty suggestive of that Unity between the Microcosm (5) and the Macrocosm (6). 11 are also the letters of the Magickal formula of the Aeon, Abrahadabra, again connecting with the ideas already mentioned me thinks.

Astrologically speaking, Leo is a sign connected to one's own pleasure and creativity. It is the sign connected to the spine (again connecting with the idea of the 7 Chakras being activated and the Kundalini awoken) and also a sign of willpower connecting to the deep Magickal power imbeded in this card.

Crowley quotes a part of the 12th Aethyr which is really illuminating but this post is already too long for me to go into it, but I do think it is too helpful for one to pass by.

Yet another good exercise in itself for me, writing this thread, and I hope it both helps you and motivates you to give me some food for thought! That's some of the things I could say about this card as I see it today of course, I hope you found it nice and not tooooooo boring and I'm looking forward to hear some your thoughts as well!

Michael Sternbach

Zodiacal Trump of Leo, which is ruled by the Sun and is exalted in Uranus

Leo is indeed the domicile of the Sun, but it is the detriment of Uranus (which is ruling Aquarius, the opposite sign). Traditionally, there is no planet exalted in Leo, however, some modern astrologers (including myself) see it as Pluto's exaltation.

Well, Crowley goes on to explain to us why the title is different than the traditional one. In the more traditional depiction of this Trump, a woman opens the mouth of the lion, possibly suggesting the control of our emotions, passions and desires by our mind and willpower. But, in a sense, here we see those two aspects unified, combined and happy with each other. In a sense, married! No longer "enemies", but a natural couple functioning as one! The exercise of Strength, in this sense, is a joyful and desired process. Natural balance is maintained when opposites unite in one, and the Path of this card is balanced both horizontally and vertically upon the Tree.

Reminiscent of Epicurus' philosophy according to which lust should be the primary guide of our actions. I guess you could call him an early Thelemite...

The Path of Gimel is the Priestess, Atu II, and Crowley here refers us to the marriage of the Sun and the Moon the Alchemists talked about. The Sun in depicted by the Beast, the lion-serpent and the Moon by Babalon, the woman mounting the Beast.

The Sun and the Moon as the two Luminaries can both represent the number 1 (in line with this, their domiciles Leo and Cancer were both considered to be the beginning of the Zodiac, the former in ancient Greek star catalogues as well as by the Golden Dawn, the latter in Firmicus Maternus' Thema mundi) - so the number 11 could be seen as reflecting their union.

Yet another good exercise in itself for me, writing this thread, and I hope it both helps you and motivates you to give me some food for thought! That's some of the things I could say about this card as I see it today of course, I hope you found it nice and not tooooooo boring and I'm looking forward to hear some your thoughts as well!

Not boring at all... You are presenting some thought provoking ideas here, Owl Tarot. Maybe we can talk more later. :)

Owl Tarot

Leo is indeed the domicile of the Sun, but it is the detriment of Uranus (which is ruling Aquarius, the opposite sign). Traditionally, there is no planet exalted in Leo, however, some modern astrologers (including myself) see it as Pluto's exaltation.

Sorry, you are correct. I was kind of careless and forgot my studies about Leo there.

Reminiscent of Epicurus' philosophy according to which lust should be the primary guide of our actions. I guess you could call him an early Thelemite...

What impresses me the most, is what exactly Lust is in the context of the card. It is such a balanced Lust, uniting Chesed to Geburah, and I interestingly enough think of the heart when I see this card. The Path's position is pretty near the heart Chakra when the Chakras are put on the Tree, and this is on of the reasons I think this card has such a heavy Magickal assosiation.

The Sun and the Moon as the two Luminaries can both represent the number 1 (in line with this, their domiciles Leo and Cancer were both considered to be the beginning of the Zodiac, the former in ancient Greek star catalogues as well as by the Golden Dawn, the latter in Firmicus Maternus' Thema mundi) - so the number 11 could be seen as reflecting their union.

Ain't it so beautiful? The natural marriage depicted in the card I think also shows us the pretty interesting annihilation of the Self for the beloved, Babalon, the space surrounding the individual. Lust in this context is so pure, that results in offering one's blood to the Holy Grail. The Holy Grail was used to collect Christ's blood, which was blood (a more Solar symbol) and water (a more Lunar symbol), further suggesting the Union of the Self with the whole (in the Babalon sense).

A part of the beautiful 12th Aethyr which I find really relevant:

Liber 418 said:
(“This wine is such that its virtue radiateth through the cup, and I reel under the intoxication of it. And every thought is destroyed by it. It abideth alone, and its name is Compassion. I understand by ‘Compassion’ the sacrament of suffering, partaken of by the true worshippers of the Highest. And it is an ecstasy in which there is no trace of pain. Its passivity (=passion) is like the giving-up of the self to the beloved.)

“The voice continues: This is the Mystery of Babylon, the Mother of Abominations, and this is the mystery of her adulteries [The doctrine here set forth is identical with that of the whole Mystery of Perfection understanding itself through experience of all possible Imperfection, as explained elsewhere in this Essay.], for she hath yielded up herself to everything that liveth, and hath become a partaker in its mystery. And because she hath made her self the servant of each, therefore is she become the mistress of all. Not as yet canst thou comprehend her glory.

“Beautiful art thou, O Babylon, and desirable, for thou hast given thyself to everything that liveth, and thy weakness hath subdued their strength. For in that union thou didst understand. Therefore art thou called Understanding, O Babylon, Lady of the Night!

Not boring at all... You are presenting some thought provoking ideas here, Owl Tarot. Maybe we can talk more later. :)

Thank you, and I do need to offer some of my thoughts to trigger some responses to give me food for thought!