Dinosaur Tarot

bawk

Hello! I'm fairly new to the forums but a veteran when it comes to tarot imagery!
I've always love the symbolism behind the tarot deck. I planned to create my own chicken tarot deck. I got about 5 cards in before I realized I needed to start simple before I went at a monstrous, ridiculously detailed project.

I always have been a fan of dinosaurs, and since I've had so much practice drawing them I figured why not? I've seen a few attempts at this type of deck but nothing that draws my attention sadly.

So far, I've decided on some basics:
Pentacles = Eggs (of course!), represented by sauropods and horned dinosaurs and likely duck billed dinos.
Swords = I was thinking claws of teeth since there is a lot of conflict associated with them. All sorts of meat-eaters will go onto these,
Wands = Wings. Although not true dinosaurs,I wanted to feature flying reptiles
Chalices = Fins? Maybe? I want sea reptiles for these, but am unsure as to what to associate them with.

I have most of the images laid-out in thumbnails. Currently I'm doing rough-drafts. I like to work in pen, watercolor pencils, and acrylic paint. At first I wanted to incorporate more realism into the designs, but later decided that it would defeat the fun in creating them. Same goes with scientific accuracy...I mean, I want them close but since I'm a fan of the old-school reptilian look the feathers will be minimal (I know, I know).

Background imagery is NOT my strong point, and I'm hoping to work on that.
Any critics are welcome! I want feedback for sure!

The Lovers (sauropods) - http://punkbawkchicken.tumblr.com/post/130925533237/a-pair-of-sauropods-serving-as-the-lovers

stone_lotus

The lovers drawing is cute -- made me smile. : ) You can see the tenderness there.

As for the suit of Swords -- how about actual swords? I was thinking of the knights who hunt dragons....

Chalices -- jewels perhaps?

Anyway it's a neat-looking project. Keep it up!

bawk

The lovers drawing is cute -- made me smile. : ) You can see the tenderness there.

As for the suit of Swords -- how about actual swords? I was thinking of the knights who hunt dragons....

Chalices -- jewels perhaps?

Anyway it's a neat-looking project. Keep it up!

Those aren't bad ideas, but I want to keep the prehistoric theme going, hence the claws/teeth instead of swords...Dinosaurs weren't the best of blacksmiths ;)

Scarlet Woodland

Ooooh, I really like this... keep at it :)

Obsydian

I can totally see the King of Chalices as a Mosasaurus. ;3

But really though, I adore dinosaurs and I can't wait to see how this pans out! Keeping an eye on this for sure.

bawk

I can totally see the King of Chalices as a Mosasaurus. ;3

But really though, I adore dinosaurs and I can't wait to see how this pans out! Keeping an eye on this for sure.

And it's very likely you will! I've decided to have sea-going reptiles as the Chalice set (even though they're not dinosaurs). I've also included a sea-going reptile for the Moon card.

bawk

I've finished the linework for The Moon card today!

http://punkbawkchicken.tumblr.com/image/136900299327

I went ahead and completely a quick color WIP. I've decided to color in all the images with real-time media once I have the whole set complete.
I've honestly been thinking about hiring someone to do the coloring for me. Color combos/coordination is not my strongest skill, and I really want to see this thing through.

Suggestions/comments/critiques always welcome!