Which book? pro and contra

1Eleven

No, not at all, I am not limited to these two, I just read yesterday a lot on the lenormand forum here, and these two were the two new good books in English I found mentioned here. If you have other suggestions, please!

I want to decide which book to get and just stick with it, I tried several times to learn from online sources, but it was too... everywhere, not systematic and, most importantly, not consistent, so much difference in card meanings. And I am not very fond of the idea to get my own meanings.

It sounds like Andy's book would be a perfect fit for you. I have the paperback and Kindle version. He also offers a PDF version from his site.

Cicas

It sounds like Andy's book would be a perfect fit for you. I have the paperback and Kindle version. He also offers a PDF version from his site.

I have the Rana George book and the Andy Boroveshengra book as well. I find them both very helpful, but overall I think I like Andy's better and if you were going to buy just one, I'd recommend it over Rana's. Rana gives practical examples of when she's encountered cards in readings, which is really helpful and appreciated, but Andy gives better information about what cards mean and can indicate in certain positions in the GT, which I love, as reading that spread well is my ultimate goal.

I don't know anything about the other book you mentioned, but I've been really happy with the combination of the two above books.

seedcake

I'll sweep some dust from this thread :)

I just bought three Lenormand books and waiting for them to come. It's Rana's Essential, Matthew's Handbook and Steinbach's Secrets. I'm glad to see that all were mentioned. I plan to get "Thirty-Six Cards" but 2015 re-edition.

Can't wait to sink my teeth into these. Finally, I opened for Lenormand 'cause few times I noticed it could be very useful and I'd love to branch out.

Tag_jorrit

I'll sweep some dust from this thread :)

I just bought three Lenormand books and waiting for them to come. It's Rana's Essential, Matthew's Handbook and Steinbach's Secrets. I'm glad to see that all were mentioned. I plan to get "Thirty-Six Cards" but 2015 re-edition.

Can't wait to sink my teeth into these. Finally, I opened for Lenormand 'cause few times I noticed it could be very useful and I'd love to branch out.

A few words of advice: Pick one and learn from only one teacher at a time. Ever hear the old saying, "too many cooks spoil the broth"? That way any conflicting information won't get you confused. You will find differences between each teacher which doesn't make any wrong. Just stick with one and once you learn, then branch out to see other points of view. And Steinbach is totally non-traditional so if you are interested in learning Lenormand in a more traditional way, stick with one of the other 3.

reall

just to add my free e book http://fav.me/d9sqzk0
it's written for my Chakra Lenormand but can be used for any lenormand and I would like to hear some reviews?^^ thank you!^^:))

daphne

I was reading the Caitlin Matthews book but I had to stop as I found some inconsistencies (or things I could not totally understood) which really bothered me. If I have time, I will track back the unclear info to bring it here to discuss it.

I am not saying it is not a good book. Actually, after reading some preview pages from Rana George's book on amazon, I totally prefer Matthews's style, soberer and better organized for me.

Teheuti

I really like Rana, Caitlin and Andy's books, especially for reading techniques, examples and practical experience. Each has something to offer and each may appeal to different people.

My number one, go-to book, for the meanings of the cards - is the ultra-straight forward book by Anthony Louis, Lenormand Symbols - only $3.99 in kindle format (available on all mobile devices).
http://www.amazon.com/Lenormand-Symbols-Exploring-Origins-Images-ebook/dp/B00J7229O2/

I'm a great believer in deeply understanding the original meaning and method of the cards, since that's all there was up until the last 30 years or so when innovative (and often unique or specialized) meanings and methods started to proliferate, creating conflicting "schools of thought." Anthony Louis sets out the early information, gathered in a clean, well-presented format, from at least a half dozen 19th century and earlier sources. He throws in a few modern meanings in his overview when those keywords are closely aligned with the original.

Even when I use modern meanings I always try to cross-check my interpretation against the core meanings to see if I've gone astray or overlooked anything. I consider this my most essential book.

Aster Breo

My number one, go-to book, for the meanings of the cards - is the ultra-straight forward book by Anthony Louis, Lenormand Symbols - only $3.99 in kindle format (available on all mobile devices).
http://www.amazon.com/Lenormand-Symbols-Exploring-Origins-Images-ebook/dp/B00J7229O2/

I'm a great believer in deeply understanding the original meaning and method of the cards,

I second this recommendation. I think I have all the books that have been mentioned in this thread. When I need to look up a card or combo meaning, Louis's book is the one I go to first.

Which is not to say that I don't also use some of the others. I first learned with Steinbach's book, because it was the only one available in English. But I don't use that one any more. Her method just doesn't click for me.

I haven't actually read the how-to part of the Katz & Goodwin book. (I bought it for the section on Lenormand history.) But I've heard that their method is somewhat non-traditional.

I still think Caitlin Matthews's book gives the best learning program. But I use the others (Louis, Boroshavengra, and George) to look up meanings.

DownUnderNZer

Agreed..and somewhere on here is a thread or two about Matthew's book.

I got to read through parts of her book and found inconsistencies not to mention some of her examples didn't match up with the card in question or something wasn't explained very well.

I actually did point out pages and/or examples of what was inconsistent in one of those threads.

Not the reviews one. :D

I was reading the Caitlin Matthews book but I had to stop as I found some inconsistencies (or things I could not totally understood) which really bothered me. If I have time, I will track back the unclear info to bring it here to discuss it.

I am not saying it is not a good book. Actually, after reading some preview pages from Rana George's book on amazon, I totally prefer Matthews's style, soberer and better organized for me.