Newcomer to Lenormand.

tinkerbell

Since I was so experienced with large tarot spreads, I jumped right into the "deep end" - the Grand Tableau. What I found was that, because it can be segregated into so many individual focus areas (health, work, career, romance, home, family, children, money and finances, enterprises and ventures, etc, each with a specific significator card or sometimes two (each one a little "vortex" of influence), using the "distance method" you wind up reading only a few surrounding cards in each major life area, unless they happen to intersect in a variety of ways. Unless you're doing a complete life-reading, you really only have to focus on the specific area(s) of interest and not try to read the whole thing. It's a good way to explore card combinations and interactions in a big-picture way, and not at all intimidating when broken down this way.

Barleywine....I did the same thing! I get really excited seeing all 36 cards laid out together...and find I tap into the relevant topic areas much faster.
In fact....I really struggle with just 3 cards!!

IHeartRescues

O no!! Malkiel HAS taken down his videos. I didn't know that. Drats!! I am also a fan of Hexe Claire (claire seifert) tho she doesn't have as many in English as I would like. Double Drats. Happily there is still an absolute dearth of Lenormand info now, including Camelia Elias's Tarotflexions blog where she has quite a few pages devoted to Lenormand in her own special practical ways. And I must second Andy Boroveshengra, as he is the primary source I look to for starting out and referencing. GL!
There used to be a bunch of youtube videos by Malkiel (a German fortune teller), but unfortunately, he took down all his videos. However, check out the videos by Donnaleigh (Tarot Tribes Beyond Worlds), thetruthinstory and Hexe Claire.

Torann

Hexe Claire is fun to watch indeed. And Donnaleigh of course.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Thoughtful

My Burning Serpent deck should be with me any day now. In the meantime l have taken all your comments on board, and l am going to glue myself to youtube :laugh:

Barleywine l hope l can become proficient enough to be able read the cards the way you do, it all sounds a bit daunting. Determined to give it a try though. Would you say that they are easier than tarot, about the same, or harder. Also how do they differ from tarot.

Barleywine

Barleywine l hope l can become proficient enough to be able read the cards the way you do, it all sounds a bit daunting. Determined to give it a try though. Would you say that they are easier than tarot, about the same, or harder. Also how do they differ from tarot.

I would say they are easier because the cards are more literal in meaning, with fewer layers of subtlety, so there isn't as much intuitive guesswork involved. One of the main differences is in the more structured way combinations are read.

Thoughtful

Thanks Barleywine do like the sound of this, this appears to be a very straightforward no nonsense way to read, at least once one has grasped the basics.
Still waiting for my Lenormand to arrive!

IHeartRescues

Hi Thoughtful :) Mary K. Greer has pointed out that "Lenormand Symbols: Exploring the Origins of the Images on the Cards" by Anthony Louis as a great book for traditional and "evolved" meanings of the cards (not quoting her). I have found it to be a wonderful resource, but I think it only comes in the Kindle format. As for decks, the Piatnik and the Blue Bird are what I currently am using (don't have the Burning Serpent). I also have a cheat deck w meanings on the cards.

manandcards

Thank you Gwynydd, Jen P, Barley Wine, so much for your comments.
Well as l have already ordered the The Burning Serpent l will have to see how it goes, it looked so beautiful.
Will definitely take all your recommendations into account and start looking at the more traditional cards. Then the hard work begins Lol!

Thank you Jen P for the helpful links you provided and your offer :)

The LWB meanings in Burning Serpent match those of Caitlin as she was one of the people who supported Rachel
Pollack. And ir reads the same as traditional images. Don't worry that you won't be able to read it. Stick with the LWB and watch YouTube and you'll click.

Thoughtful

Manandcards, l am not sure of all this after all. l thought there would be just one meaning for a card, but it has as many suggestions that can come up as there is in Tarot, l got totally lost :confused:
l think l will stick to my tried and trusted tarot. So it looks like l will be selling my Burning Serpent. l know, l know, l should persevere but its not for me unfortunately.

manandcards

Manandcards, l am not sure of all this after all. l thought there would be just one meaning for a card, but it has as many suggestions that can come up as there is in Tarot, l got totally lost :confused:
l think l will stick to my tried and trusted tarot. So it looks like l will be selling my Burning Serpent. l know, l know, l should persevere but its not for me unfortunately.

I'm really sad to read that.

It is like learning a new language. And it is a bit of a side step from tarot.