Tarot: W x D x H = Earth

Fulgour

Given the three dimensions for Wide, Deep, and High
a person can picture the size of an object, like a BOX.

The Phoenician Alphabet gives us W x D x H with the
3 letters Aleph Mem Shin, termed Air Water and Fire.

The "Box" these 3 letters describe is the Earth,
the realm of matter, the basic physical world.

Seven Planets ring the Box, traversing Twelve Houses.
The Tarot mirrors this ancient blueprint of the cosmos.

The BOX is both of the inner and outer natures of form,
and the Zodiac may be both contained and containing.
The planets may circle within its dimensions or without.

I think this is one of those cases where just because there is a question
the answer appears ~ even if only marginally. Why is there no "Earth"?

So by looking, what is seen is: Air and Water and Fire. Aleph Mem Shin.

And maybe that's it... wide plus deep plus high create the outline that
answers the question. My belief that the alphabet is "organic" brings in
a natural ability to do things internally that have no relation to science,
other than that science these days has reached in part beyond itself...

kwaw

Fulgour said:

Seven Planets ring the Box, traversing Twelve Houses.
The Tarot mirrors this ancient blueprint of the cosmos.

My four year olds exercise book had something similar. Do you think her nusery assistant is a secret initiate of the Immortal Teachers of Mysteries:)

Kwaw

jmd

Perhaps indeed the person who worked on the depictions for a very young child's picture book was indeed infuenced by various more esoteric traditions. This would be neither unusual, nor farfetched.

The Masonic 'ball', for example (which is a sphere about the size of a very large pea), opens out to a cross upon which are six pyramids, each with symbols engraved. I have seen similar mathematical examplars in primary maths books (without the masonic engravings). One may have given rise to the other, or each may have a common, or even different, source.

What is interesting in this case is the main point presented by Fulgour (and of course also presented in similar ways by others before). Namely, that by three letters, one may symbolically also reflect on three dimensions, and, by extension, how these not only give rise to a conceptual cube, but also how this, when projected to infinity, becomes equal to an infinite sphere.

The three mother letters may then indeed be suggestive of the three dimensions indicated by a cube.

In the Sefer Yetzirah, of course, the pairs of opposites (height/deep; north/south; etc) are usually given in five pairs.

Still this should not prevent us from reflecting on how the Mother Letters have their own peculiar sense, and how these may be, at least in part, understood in terms of a cube.

Further, one of the difficulties often encountered for many who work various Occidental traditions is how to reconcile the Hebrew letters having three elements allocated, without the fourth (the Earth) specifically also given a letter. Though some have therefore given Tav two attributions (Earth to complement the element, and one of the planets - often Saturn or the Moon), Fulgour's (and others') suggestion of the Earth element arising out of the direct interaction between the other three elements has its merits.

In addition, it is of course also consistent with the manner in which the four elements are considered to arise out of two principles in alchemy: that of heat and that of moisture.

Heat with no Moisture gives Fire; Moisture with no Heat Water; mixing both Air; and the absence of each Earth.

The 'absence' is here also presented as that which contains, and each of the three mother letters of course allocated its Sefer Yetzirahic elemental attribution.

kwaw

Diamond Space

An alternative to the cube is the diamond. See p.8 and 9 [the 2 pages following the page that says 'end of part one']of:

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Kwaw93/YHVHMatrix2.doc

[plese note this is a very old document of mine and I am aware it needs some correction and updating]

Kwaw

Fulgour

The BOX is both of the inner and outer natures of form,
and the Zodiac may be both contained and containing.
The planets may circle within its dimensions or without.

kwaw

Fulgour said:
Thanks, Kwaw :p for another opportunity to ignore you.

Your welcome Fulgour, thanks for the thanks. Nice to know my posts give a little satisfaction.

Kwaw

mythos

Fulgour said:

QUOTE]

jmd said:
Further, one of the difficulties often encountered for many who work various Occidental traditions is how to reconcile the Hebrew letters having three elements allocated, without the fourth (the Earth) specifically also given a letter.

I was wandering through some of the material on Kris Hadar's site last night. His explanation of the three mother letters creating the third element 'Earth', for the first time made sense to me. Now today I find another means of visualising ... Fulgour's 'Box' ... which clears up for me the problem jmd so aptly described.

Suddenly, what was confusion makes sense ... mud becomes earth, if you will :laugh:

Thank you both,
mythos

Fulgour

I think this is one of those cases where just because there is a question
the answer appears ~ even if only marginally. Why is there no "Earth"?

So by looking, what is seen is: Air and Water and Fire. Aleph Mem Shin.

And maybe that's it... wide plus deep plus high create the outline that
answers the question. My belief that the alphabet is "organic" brings in
a natural ability to do things internally that have no relation to science,
other than that science these days has reached in part beyond itself...

abarrach

This "box" that you are talking about is the Cube of Space. In the Cube of Space, the three mother letters Aleph (Air, The Fool), Mem (Water, The Hanged Man), and Shin (Fire, Judgement) form the axes that link the opposite faces to eachother. At the intersection of the three axes is Tav (Saturn, The World). There isn't any Earth element correspondence in the Cube, but if one must have one, the centre (Tav, Saturn, The World) is where makes most sense.

http://www.psyche.com/psyche/cube/cube_metapsychology.html
http://www.divineparadox.com/AgelessWisdom/CubeOfSpace/cubeofspace.htm

The six faces of the cube are attributed with the other six "planets", the other six double letters of the Hebrew alphabet and their corresponding tarot cards.

Fulgour

but... Saturn is The Fool.

Thanks, abarrach, but I'm not that kind of guy! ;)

1. Not Kabbalah (with maybe 11)
2. Not Golden Dawn (using 1=0)
3. YES: Phoenician (ABC=123)

Beginning with Letter One and Card One
the "Planets" have their original homes:

02 Beth ~ Moon II
03 Gimmel ~ Venus III
04 Daleth ~ Mars IV
11 Kaph ~ Mercury XI
17 Peh ~ Sun XVII
20 Resh ~ Jupiter XX
22 Tav ~ Saturn "22"

Sure, that's my positioning, but there is no
'official' way to place them. It's our choice.