Flornoy's Dodal

DrTodd

Gracias Enrique

His insights are indeed liberating and appealing. The mandala is really nice as well.

The 'degrees' make sense and also offer a new opening for personal reflection as well as readings.

Saludos

Dr T

EnriqueEnriquez

DrTodd said:
Gracias Enrique

His insights are indeed liberating and appealing. The mandala is really nice as well.

The 'degrees' make sense and also offer a new opening for personal reflection as well as readings.

Saludos

Dr T

Hi Todd,

Jodorowsky has an irreverent way of speaking about the tarot, and about mysticism in general, that makes him very appealing to an up-to-date audience, and specially, to those who entertain a healthy skepticism about this kind of things. The mystical world is kind of tacky, and Jodorowsky has a great way of making it cool. I have always felt that there is a lot to learn from him. It is a shame that he had to put so much ego in his restoration of the Marseille tarot he released along with Philippe Camoin. That is, I believe, the biggest point in favor of Jean-Claude and Roxanne’s work: without making too much noise about their findings, they are working steadily at making available to us some very important, even foundational, tarots. I think the Flornoys are the closest thing we have to true card-makers, working to preserve a very precise visual tradition. They are giving us tools. What we do with these tools, where do we take what they have restored, is of course up to us.

I for one found very dramatic their decision of reversing the Dodal’s back. They tend to be so respectful of what is originally there that this took me by surprise. But when you think about it, thee is no arrogance in such decision. There is no “I found an egg that no one had seen before”, but a merely practical understanding of the use we give today to such decks. The work of a good card-maker is to preserve the imagery while adapting it to its market, and the new Dodal is a great working deck for those who are into readings. It doesn’t have some of the unique details we find in the Noblet, but it shows lots of these details that are part of the Marseille folklore -and the Noblet doesn’t have- like the blind kid in The Sun, Death and The Fool facing the same direction -so the nameless card and the numberless card feel like two layers of the same image- or the black bird behind The Star (which, very intriguingly, we also see at the bottom of the Ace of Cups). Those details form part of the narratives that people within the Marseille tradition use in their readings. I refer to them as folklore because they aren’t historically sound, but they are part of the Marseille tradition in that they have been transmitted orally along a few generations. I think it is great to have those details there.

Now, the Dodal has always fascinated me in that it looks as a modern deck. Most of its images are almost Cubist. This makes some cards, like The Wheel of fortune, or the four Knights, extraordinarily dynamic in an almost chaotic way. The superimposition of planes in some of the images make us feel as if they are about to fall apart, yet they perfectly convey the iconographic message intended. While looking at them I often wonder, what was going in that engraver’s head while he was carving those plates? Was he being lousy or courageous? What would he have thought if he would have known that a couple of centuries later, people like Cezanne, and then Braque or Picasso, will achieve fame and glory by doing in canvases what he was doing in his little cards?

All my Best,

EE

Moonbow

Rox and Jean-Claude, I'm thrilled for you both that this epic piece of work is now let loose on the world, well done you! I don't often add to my Tarot collection these days but as soon as I can I'll be joining everyone with a copy of this lovingly produced deck. Like Enrique, I was a little surprised about the decision for the back of the cards, but its completely grown on me because it puts a subtle Flornoy stamp on the deck reminding us all of the license used by Tarot's artistic predecessors.

Extra nice that Enrique and le pendu are here to share their enthusiasm too!

anubis777

Hello,
I went to flicker & viewed the new Dodal Tarot i like it however, on the Lovers card the central figure's feet are not showing now that is really almost the most important symbol b/c it shows indesicion. I wonder why JC didn't show the guys feet? For me i have to have those kind of secret little symbols so i can understand what some the card's meanings can be. All symbols add meaning to a card. For the people who already have the Dodal does any LWB come with it in english that explains more on each card?

Abrac

That's how it is in the original. :)

Greg Stanton

Who says the feet should show, and that it means indecision?

STOP THE PRESSES! You should immediately write Alejandro Jodorowsky and tell him about this, because he left this extremely important detail off his tarot as well. And how many toes should Cupid have?

Nevermind. I'm really not this mean...

Bernice

I believe that when the Dodal images were originally made, they didn't include 'esoteric symbolism' pertaining to current day ideas of the iconography of that time and place.

The release of this deck by JC Flornoy is a very welcome one, the image lines that have been obscured over time, can now be clearly seen, and enjoyed.

Bee :)

Bertrand

Hello,

anubis777 said:
I wonder why JC didn't show the guys feet? For me i have to have those kind of secret little symbols so i can understand what some the card's meanings can be.
then either you can't use the Dodal (neither original nor Flornoy's) because it has no feet on the VI, either your list of little symbols could be updated to fit with those cards.
All symbols add meaning to a card. For the people who already have the Dodal does any LWB come with it in english that explains more on each card?
there's a LWB in both english and french, but not with a detailed explanation of each card, although there's an excellent introduction by E.Enriquez. I don't think this type of deck needs a "card by card' booklet anyway (nor any other deck for that matter), since we don't have any original instruction from the engraver this would be in a way generic, so you can find that kind of informations in books if you need it. Since the Dodal fits quite well the Marseille canon (and probably is some kind of expression of its model in a purer form), using the Dodal with any book about the Marseille Tarot might be helpful.

Bertrand

Rafaël

It's a beauty!!

I just received my Dodal!!! :) :) :)

It's a beauty!
I absolutely love the size. It feels right and fits my hand for 100%!

Thanks a lot to Jean-Claude and Roxanne for this tremendous work!
Rafaël

DrTodd

Rafaël said:
I just received my Dodal!!! :) :) :)

It's a beauty!
I absolutely love the size. It feels right and fits my hand for 100%!

Thanks a lot to Jean-Claude and Roxanne for this tremendous work!
Rafaël

Ditto to that!

It is really really nice and so full of really cool details....

Hats off to JC and Roxanne!

Dr T