The Wild Unknown Tarot - IX Pentacles

Sulis

This card is quite similar to the X Pentacles at first glance but the similarities are quite superficial once you start to really look.

9 golden coins or pentacles are in the centre of the card against a black background. They are arranged in a diamond shape which is surrounded by 4 large, white feathers, laid in a way that makes them overlap at their ends and really enclose the black space containing the coins.
All of this is laid upon a background of red / yellow / orange horizontal lines. This is a bright card for this deck with only the feathers and the background on which the coins lie being black and white.

This card makes me think of a nest containing coins.
The feathers are protective and there is a sense of comfort in this image. It makes me think of keeping what I have protected and of having enough to be comfortable but to not have too much.
Orange to me is the colour or courage and the red and yellow mixed makes me think of the sun and happiness so this is a card about being content with what you have and having enough to be content.

Nines relate to The Hermit so they are about the self - this card says that I have enough physically and all is well.
Nines to me are also cards of assessment. In the nines we look back and see what's been successful in getting us to this point because a new phase is starting.

The fact that the coins are enclosed could also be a warning about valuing possessions too much - we can become trapped by what we have - that's not a message I've got so far from this card but I think it's one of it's possible meanings. Feathers are easy to move though and to me often represent the mind so it's a problem that can be overcome by changing the way we think about what we have.

lark

This is always one of my favorite cards in a deck and the first one I always pull out to see how it is depicted, I wasn't disappointed.
The garden has made way for a soft nest of feathers and deep in the dark warmth are the nine coins...safe protected...a nest egg.
Reminds me so much of spring and coming upon a bird nest, I always wonder at the work it took to create such a safe place for the most fragile of things an egg.

So for the meaning I instantly see...work that has built up something we see as precious and worth saving and taking care of.
The diamond shape of the nest reminds me of playing card diamonds and how they depict wealth, money, fortune.
There is a hidden aspect I feel in this card...I often observe that people who have worked very hard all their lives and been frugal and saved are careful to keep their bank accounts close to their chest.
I don't know why this is...maybe the new found security after a lifetime of struggle makes them feel uncomfortablly different from all the people they have been around all their lives who are still in the struggle.
Like a certain bird builds a certain nest and lays a certain egg...the number of eggs may be more or less, but the bird still feels the same no matter what the number.

Still it is a happy feeling card of safe haven and plenty.

This is one card I would have liked the back ground colors to be different....a cool spring green....the red and oranges remind me of autumn....but on second thought maybe I could tie that color into retirement and the autumn of life.

Sulis

Thank you Lark, that's added so much to what I see in the card and you've mentioned the phrase I was searching for and just couldn't put my finger on; 'nest egg'.... That's exactly what this card shows.
I like how you've linked the diamond shape to the suit of Diamonds in playing cards too.

Lark said:
There is a hidden aspect I feel in this card...I often observe that people who have worked very hard all their lives and been frugal and saved are careful to keep their bank accounts close to their chest.
I don't know why this is...maybe the new found security after a lifetime of struggle makes them feel uncomfortablly different from all the people they have been around all their lives who are still in the struggle.
I think what you've said here adds to my thoughts about our possessions turning into things that trap us. We have all these things that we've worked so hard for and we're afraid to lose them (the feathers show fragility) so they stop us doing things and make us feel alienated and apart from other people who may not have so much... I think the hedges in the RWS card and the tamed and hooded falcon show this too.

lark

I think what you've said here adds to my thoughts about our possessions turning into things that trap us. We have all these things that we've worked so hard for and we're afraid to lose them (the feathers show fragility) so they stop us doing things and make us feel alienated and apart from other people who may not have so much... I think the hedges in the RWS card and the tamed and hooded falcon show this too.
Yes, that is it exactly...for instance they have the time and money to go on a fabulous trip but don't because what will the neighbors think.
Or, what if we need this money in the future and we spent it on our enjoyment we'll regret it...those feathers maybe light and fragile, but they can be as heavy as an iron fence if we let them be.

ladybird

My mind just went blank here, all I could visualize was the RWS 9 of pentacles. I like the visual of the "nest egg" of pentacles that you both saw. The pretty overlapping feathers do make a cozy nest.

Keywords and an overview from page 144 in the book:
Happy, Healthy Home

overview:
*enjoy the rewards of hard work
*promotion
*stable and happy home
*luxury
"enjoying the finer things in life"

Winterchild

9 of Pentacles

My very first thought on seeing this card, after (eeeek the f word.... I have a phobia!) The diamond is very prominant and it is a real nest egg, but the f word are not able to fly while they are guarding the jewels. We can either be safe and not fly or we can spread our wings and let the world in and share our treasures or wealth.

The orangbackground lines remind me of keeping within the lines of expectaion, not crossing the line, red for danger..... and as Lark said of the retirement years of Autumn, when nature is this colour.... but spring always comes again....

9 is a magickal number and this card has much of the Hermit energy... but he has done his time, found the light, now he needs to share, go back into the world where he can begin his journey through the second part of his life, as the Fool..... (In my decks I see the Fool as being between the 10 and 11 Major Arcana cards.

Again that's first looks......

Oh and one more thing the 9 of Pentacles reminds me of, which is a line from the Eagles song....

So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

pickled pixie

I read that feathers can symbolize harmony, balance and an unburdened heart...also paying paying attention to the little things. I thought that this went well with this card. Also to the Native Americans they symbolize trust, honour, strength, wisdom, power and freedom. :)