The meaning of the FISH card in love readings

Richard

......What brings me the shivers is not how people will twist the meaning of the cards but the final results. A huge mess in which even they don't know what a card means in their own readings.......
How sad.

AzulParadiso

Deep feelings, deep emotions, spiritual feelings, "drunken" feelings :D

Teheuti

Now that there are so many new decks - often pretty but not created by people who know the Petit Lenormand well - we have lots of symbols that can take you far afield from the traditional ways of reading and into oracle deck land. The more an individual intuitively reads the pictures on a specific deck the less will a reading have any relevance or meaning to another Lenormand reader who uses a different deck and their own personal, intuitive way of reading. It becomes a Tower of Babel, which is what is starting to happen.

I like the fact that until very recently (with a few well-known exceptions based on regional differences), Lenormand readers from Russia, Argentina, Germany, France, Belgium, U.S., etc. could all comment on a spread and come to similar conclusions.

The original Lenormand instruction sheet says for Fish: "making a fortune by sea, and a series of happy enterprises, but if it is distant, they are sinister omens that the best projects will be reversed." In a short reading I use the "near" meanings and for love I'd focus on "a series of happy enterprises." Sounds good to me.

DownUnderNZer

FISH can mean "free spirit" to me , someone independant and care free looking for a relationship, but in some readings I have I seen it as a platonic relationship and not yet sexual
...If an established relationship ...not so sexual anymore and a habit.

ana luisa

I like this interpretation :). Thank you! I hope if we add extra meanings we won't be swimming in dangerous waters (no pun intended). I do agree with Mary in that SOME consensus has to be met so people can exchange readings and learn and grow. I just had this experience today when I found a Russian site and couldn't make head nor tails of what was written. That's probably what you mean right? But i still believe some freedom should be ok?

DownUnderNZer

I learnt traditional 1st...2 German women ...no books
And FISH didn't really evolve much passed MONEY. I feel comfortable broadening out as the GT is its own unique system, but not the only way to read the cards.:)

Teheuti

Of course anyone can use the Lenormand deck as an oracle deck and even totally make up their own system: Mice are wonderful helpers, and Path means 'stick to the main road and don't get sidetracked,' Stars are famous celebrities, and the Moon is scary like in Tarot. It can be anything you want it to be, and you it is likely that, if you are good at divining, you'll get really accurate readings out of it.

In fact, I've been on many divination panels where the panelists are each given a divination deck or tool they've never seen before and are asked to read for someone in the audience. The querents have always gotten excellent readings from the panelists. Just because we can do it, does it mean it's all we should do?

Is there any value to adhering to a traditional system? If so, what is it?

kalliope

Just because we can do it, does it mean it's all we should do?

Is there any value to adhering to a traditional system? If so, what is it?

That last is such a wonderful question!!

On a personal level, I love the challenge of learning a skill that contains rules and parameters for its performance. I enjoy the idea of keeping an old tradition alive, and of feeling a connection to the readers of the past. I also think that differences between things are often the aspects of them that make them special, so I simply like the basic fact that Lenormand reading is different from other oracle reading.

But on principle, and objectively, I'm not sure what the value is. I'd love to hear others' thoughts on the matter, though, as I find these things really interesting to think about and discuss. (Should we split into a separate thread, though?)

Teheuti

Sure. Could you start it? Feel free to present my question in any way that you'd like.

Mary