Using astrology along with tarot cards

Barleywine

I do that too, and I found it works very well, one more 'field' or 'way of looking at things' to aid comprehension (I am a 'multi-view' type of person ) .

Me too. There is even a philosophical buzz-word for it:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/syncretism

I consider the various types of correspondences (astrological, numerical, elemental, color symbolism, I Ching, etc) to be useful adjuncts to the literal meaning of a card, and bring them in to add depth to my understanding. They work very well in reading too when just a little more detail is called for.

Grizabella

I never use astrology along with the cards because I don't understand astrology that well. I've never felt the need or desire to study it. I think for those who have studied it and know it well, it's a good thing if it helps add depth to their readings, though.

Barleywine

Here are a couple of things forum member Richard posted a while ago that will give you someplace to start. I labeled the files "GD" (Golden Dawn) but they were put together using the Thoth correspondences. The only differences in the two systems (at least for this purpose) are the titles of some of the court cards and minor arcana.

Attachments

• GD Pip Decan Wheel.jpg
    GD Pip Decan Wheel.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 204
  • GD Court Decan Wheel.jpg
    GD Court Decan Wheel.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 207

Division10

I never use astrology along with the cards because I don't understand astrology that well. I've never felt the need or desire to study it. I think for those who have studied it and know it well, it's a good thing if it helps add depth to their readings, though.

Thanks for your input. I love your readings by the way I've been stalking your past post lol. But I'm having this same problem. I don't understand much of it at all. Once I think I have something figured out then BAM something new pops up lol. I do find it interesting though how some readers use the technique.

Division10

Here are a couple of things forum member Richard posted a while ago that will give you someplace to start. I labeled the files "GD" (Golden Dawn) but they were put together using the Thoth correspondences. The only differences in the two systems (at least for this purpose) are the titles of some of the court cards and minor arcana.

Thank you so much for this. I needed somewhere to start lol

Anne_23

I'm more versed in astrology and have only picked up tarot in the last week. A friend came to me with some life concerns. Because I am more comfortable with astrology, I reviewed his progressed moon for current mood in life. I looked for north node karmic lessons, as he is 35 and would be coming into that transition/lesson. I looked for major aspects and clues in the houses of his concerns. Made notes and then pulled a tarot spread. Interestingly, I found it confirmed much of what he was asking and backed the astrology with suggestions of why he was experiencing what he was. Because I am new to tarot and not an official astrologer (hobby), I am very careful not to inject too much personal interpretation. I actually don't know this friend's personal life very well at all so I was curious what he would say. He said it was spot on and illuminating in all areas so I would take that to mean they work very well together.

Aenwyn

Me too. There is even a philosophical buzz-word for it:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/syncretism

I consider the various types of correspondences (astrological, numerical, elemental, color symbolism, I Ching, etc) to be useful adjuncts to the literal meaning of a card, and bring them in to add depth to my understanding. They work very well in reading too when just a little more detail is called for.
My preferred means of reading tarot is to combine a card reading with a rune reading. It adds depth and clarity to the overall reading, sometimes shockingly so.

Rachx

This is really useful for me as I'm just beginning to look at astrology and Tarot. I am wondering where the other Majors/trumps sit or have I missed something in the chart? Is it because the majors aren't all assigned a star sign? Why miss some out? Also are princesses included with aces because old Tarot never recognised a third court character?

Thank you I am going to see how these work x

Nemia

I fell in love with astrology and mythology years before I touched my first tarot card; I spent my adolescent years reading every astrology book I could put my hands on (and started with tarot only as young woman). In spite of my problems with maths, I had fat books with formulas and made everybody's birth map... loved it.

That knowledge sunk deeply, I'm far from versed in astrology and would find it difficult to interpret a birth chart today - but I still draw on my knowledge of planets and signs. I feel it helps to know the character of Sagittarius when I think about Temperance. And for the minors, the decans are definitely helpful.

It also helps to get a deeper understanding of the elements. Think of Fire. There's the initial burst of energy - that's Aries. There's the reliably burning flame - that's Leo. And there's the glowing warmth with sparks - that's Sagittarius. So what kind of element do we see in each card? The astrological attributions help.

BUT only if you're interested in astrology. I have always been fascinated with it, and for me, it's interesting stuff. I'm sure alchemy would help me tremendously but it doesn't fascinate me. So I read some books about it but my memory didn't hold on to it, and it's not useful to me.

So decide for yourself, give it a try. Either it resonates with you, then it's great. But if not? You can still be a great tarot reader without it.

The best book about tarot and astrology IMO is by Anthony Louis. I did read Ruth Aharoni and another one, can't remember the name, but Louis is really great.

Btw, I personally am also very interested in astronomy and am an avid stargazer. Seeing all the constellations of the zodiac actually in the sky over the course of a year is a humbling experience. Some of them you can really SEE: Scorpio, Taurus and Leo really LOOK like a scorpion, a bull or a Lion. Others are more difficult to see. But they're all wonderfully beautiful, and you see their path on the sky, always the same, where also Sun and Moon travel, and you feel connected to generations of humans.

These are not some theories someone invented once. These are about the first things humans noticed when they lifted their eyes from the earth. The stars and constellations, star observations and star lore are the seeds of all science, belief and culture.

So astrology IMO is not some sordid charlatanic business (although it can be and undoubtedly often is) but the deepest layer of knowledge and awe in all human cultures. So definitely worth getting to know not only for tarot but for its own sake.

IF you want to, of course.

PavlovsDaughter

Not sure if this has been said before but when it comes to astrology interacting with Tarot readings I tend to go by the Minor Arcana and its relation to the elemental aspects of each sign, as such:

Fire: Swords
Water: Cups
Air: Wands
Earth: Pentacles

For instance, since I'm a water sign I may draw my cards from only the suit of Cups to get a more "personalized" reading. I may be wrong though in my thinking and if I am please let me know! :p