Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Which is the best and easiest Marseille deck to use?

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Marseilles & Other Early Decks

Grizelda The Grimm

Aunty Anthea 
Grizelda The Grimm

Which is the best and easiest Marseille deck to use?

My first deck was a VERY old Marseille deck, I think it belonged to my grandmother, but I never really got a feel for it. So many years ago that I had actually forgotten all about it until this morning

I learnt to read tea-leaves a bit, then I was encouraged to play with the cards but as a teenager I discovered playing with boys was much more fun

Went to uni and tried to forget all about my rather strange family. Sometimes I think that my surname should have been Adams

After many years of working and studying I started dowsing and reading cards again, used some very strange old Egyptian cards (so old Cleopatra could have drawn them)

I am now very happy using the Mythic Tarot though I have several other decks for variety and fun

This morning I developed a strong urge to buy a Marseille deck, so here I am asking if one of you good people could advise me on which is the easiest version to use (hopefully in English) and obtainable in UK

Anthea
Top   #1
Le Mat

Richard 
Le Mat

There is a nice Grimaud Marseille which has both French and English titles, but I can't think of any Marseille decks which have English titles only. There is an edition of the 1JJ Swiss which has English titles, but it is a Besanšon type deck, not a Marseille. There are some popular historical Italian decks with English titles, but again, they are not really Marseille.

There should be no problem using a French deck, as many of the French titles are cognate with the English titles, and anyhow, guessing the title from the picture on the card is a no-brainer.
Top   #2
Citizen

Yelell 
Citizen

When I was looking for a deck I saw some of the older Grimaud Marseille decks have English only titles - not sure about any of the new ones.

This one that's on ebay now does. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Vintage...item43e38f1b7c I agree though that the French titles aren't a big deal to me.
Top   #3
Citizen

nuttyprofessor 
Citizen

A while ago I bought a popular Marseilles deck which turned out to be just ugly, because of asymmetrical eyes and I was told this was caused by the woodcut prints.

I think you should choose the grimaud edition:http://insightfulvision.com/gallery-arcanes1.php
Top   #4
Wanderer

Emily 
Wanderer

I've fell for the Burdel style of TdM. I have the Universal Tarot of Marseille (the Kit by LoScarabeo by Lee Bursten) but I love the re-coloured Burdel in the kit. Also I have the mini Tarot de Marseille by LoScarabeo - the colours are different but the expressions and the eyes, especially the eyes, have been drawn nicely.

I also have other TdM's - the Conver, Fournier, Hadar but these two Burdel's remain my favourites.

I think it boils down to what deck attracts you the most, the colours used, expressions, whether you want a re-coloured newer version or go for an authentic look.
Top   #5
Grizelda The Grimm

Aunty Anthea 
Grizelda The Grimm

Thank you very much for you help everyone

I think I will start with the Grimaud Marseille, then the Universal Tarot of Marseille and go on from there

Emily, I will have to find out more about the 'Burdel style of TdM' sounds intriguing

I love this site everyone is sooooo helpful
Top   #6
Wanderer

Emily 
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunty Anthea View Post
Thank you very much for you help everyone

I think I will start with the Grimaud Marseille, then the Universal Tarot of Marseille and go on from there

Emily, I will have to find out more about the 'Burdel style of TdM' sounds intriguing

I love this site everyone is sooooo helpful
It's the TdM by Claude Burdel - there is an antique version of it too but the ones I have are re-coloured versions. But I like them and they are easily available from Amazon. I have just order a Camoin TdM from Amazon too. lol
Top   #7
Grizelda The Grimm

Aunty Anthea 
Grizelda The Grimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
It's the TdM by Claude Burdel - there is an antique version of it too but the ones I have are re-coloured versions. But I like them and they are easily available from Amazon. I have just order a Camoin TdM from Amazon too. lol
So many cards - so little money

I have never even heard of re-coloured decks
Top   #8
Citizen

nuttyprofessor 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Burdel is the ugly one I was mentioning in my post. Go for the Grimaud.
Top   #9
Grizelda The Grimm

Aunty Anthea 
Grizelda The Grimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyprofessor View Post
Burdel is the ugly one I was mentioning in my post. Go for the Grimaud.
Already ordered from Amazon thank you
Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.