Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Which is the best and easiest Marseille deck to use?

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Marseilles & Other Early Decks

Grizelda The Grimm

Aunty Anthea 
Grizelda The Grimm

Which is the best and easiest Marseille deck to use?

My first deck was a VERY old Marseille deck, I think it belonged to my grandmother, but I never really got a feel for it. So many years ago that I had actually forgotten all about it until this morning

I learnt to read tea-leaves a bit, then I was encouraged to play with the cards but as a teenager I discovered playing with boys was much more fun

Went to uni and tried to forget all about my rather strange family. Sometimes I think that my surname should have been Adams

After many years of working and studying I started dowsing and reading cards again, used some very strange old Egyptian cards (so old Cleopatra could have drawn them)

I am now very happy using the Mythic Tarot though I have several other decks for variety and fun

This morning I developed a strong urge to buy a Marseille deck, so here I am asking if one of you good people could advise me on which is the easiest version to use (hopefully in English) and obtainable in UK

Anthea
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #1
Le Mat

Richard 
Le Mat

There is a nice Grimaud Marseille which has both French and English titles, but I can't think of any Marseille decks which have English titles only. There is an edition of the 1JJ Swiss which has English titles, but it is a Besanšon type deck, not a Marseille. There are some popular historical Italian decks with English titles, but again, they are not really Marseille.

There should be no problem using a French deck, as many of the French titles are cognate with the English titles, and anyhow, guessing the title from the picture on the card is a no-brainer.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #2
Citizen

Yelell 
Citizen

When I was looking for a deck I saw some of the older Grimaud Marseille decks have English only titles - not sure about any of the new ones.

This one that's on ebay now does. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Vintage...item43e38f1b7c I agree though that the French titles aren't a big deal to me.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #3
Citizen

nuttyprofessor 
Citizen

A while ago I bought a popular Marseilles deck which turned out to be just ugly, because of asymmetrical eyes and I was told this was caused by the woodcut prints.

I think you should choose the grimaud edition:http://insightfulvision.com/gallery-arcanes1.php
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #4
Wanderer

Emily 
Wanderer

I've fell for the Burdel style of TdM. I have the Universal Tarot of Marseille (the Kit by LoScarabeo by Lee Bursten) but I love the re-coloured Burdel in the kit. Also I have the mini Tarot de Marseille by LoScarabeo - the colours are different but the expressions and the eyes, especially the eyes, have been drawn nicely.

I also have other TdM's - the Conver, Fournier, Hadar but these two Burdel's remain my favourites.

I think it boils down to what deck attracts you the most, the colours used, expressions, whether you want a re-coloured newer version or go for an authentic look.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #5
Grizelda The Grimm

Aunty Anthea 
Grizelda The Grimm

Thank you very much for you help everyone

I think I will start with the Grimaud Marseille, then the Universal Tarot of Marseille and go on from there

Emily, I will have to find out more about the 'Burdel style of TdM' sounds intriguing

I love this site everyone is sooooo helpful
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #6
Wanderer

Emily 
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunty Anthea View Post
Thank you very much for you help everyone

I think I will start with the Grimaud Marseille, then the Universal Tarot of Marseille and go on from there

Emily, I will have to find out more about the 'Burdel style of TdM' sounds intriguing

I love this site everyone is sooooo helpful
It's the TdM by Claude Burdel - there is an antique version of it too but the ones I have are re-coloured versions. But I like them and they are easily available from Amazon. I have just order a Camoin TdM from Amazon too. lol
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #7
Grizelda The Grimm

Aunty Anthea 
Grizelda The Grimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
It's the TdM by Claude Burdel - there is an antique version of it too but the ones I have are re-coloured versions. But I like them and they are easily available from Amazon. I have just order a Camoin TdM from Amazon too. lol
So many cards - so little money

I have never even heard of re-coloured decks
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #8
Citizen

nuttyprofessor 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Burdel is the ugly one I was mentioning in my post. Go for the Grimaud.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #9
Grizelda The Grimm

Aunty Anthea 
Grizelda The Grimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyprofessor View Post
Burdel is the ugly one I was mentioning in my post. Go for the Grimaud.
Already ordered from Amazon thank you
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.