Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Grand Etteilla

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Marseilles & Other Early Decks


 
spookyboo22's Avatar
spookyboo22  spookyboo22 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 07 Nov 2014
Location: Manchester Uk
Posts: 485
spookyboo22 
Citizen

spookyboo22's Avatar
Smile Grand Etteilla


Hi everyone
I have a Grand Etteilla Egyptian gypsies tarot deck from 1975.
Can anyone link me some spreads or even better a way to use it?
I have a booklet that I can hardly see the writing is so tiny.
Any information will be welcome
Thanks x
Top   #1
AnemoneRosie's Avatar
AnemoneRosie  AnemoneRosie is offline
A star-gleam on a stone
 
Join Date: 02 May 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,969
AnemoneRosie 
A star-gleam on a stone

AnemoneRosie's Avatar

I have this deck (although I'm not too sure what decade it's from; I don't seem to have a print date. That said, the card backs are green and very swirly with 70s-era flowers on them). I don't want you to feel that you're the only one.
I don't have a problem reading the booklet, and when I do have problems with small print I resort to my wonderful magnifying glass. I have been recommended books but they're in French, so I'm not sure if that would be very helpful for you.
Top   #2
spookyboo22's Avatar
spookyboo22  spookyboo22 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 07 Nov 2014
Location: Manchester Uk
Posts: 485
spookyboo22 
Citizen

spookyboo22's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemoneRosie View Post
I have this deck (although I'm not too sure what decade it's from; I don't seem to have a print date. That said, the card backs are green and very swirly with 70s-era flowers on them). I don't want you to feel that you're the only one.
I don't have a problem reading the booklet, and when I do have problems with small print I resort to my wonderful magnifying glass. I have been recommended books but they're in French, so I'm not sure if that would be very helpful for you.
Thank you!
Your deck is the same as mine then. Do you use the same spreads that are in the booklet?
It seems very complex. The deck reminds me of dominoes actually . My deck was found in the attic of a friends new house and he gave them to me. I never hear anything about this deck. If its all in French then that will be why I suppose x
Top   #3
AnemoneRosie's Avatar
AnemoneRosie  AnemoneRosie is offline
A star-gleam on a stone
 
Join Date: 02 May 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,969
AnemoneRosie 
A star-gleam on a stone

AnemoneRosie's Avatar

I don't want you to come to the conclusion that this is a traditional Tarot deck - it's not. The traditional Tarot is structured very differently from this Etteilla deck.

The spreads in the book highlight the cards' interdependence - as you said, much the way that dominoes do. While I find that fascinating I'm not sure that I understand it all that well; not enough that I could teach it to someone else.

Some people who read with this deck use it more like an Oracle deck, that is to say that they use it primarily as a springboard for their intuition and so they ask questions like "how did we get here?" or others about the world in which that card might figure.

I don't know of many people who read with this deck.
Top   #4
spookyboo22's Avatar
spookyboo22  spookyboo22 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 07 Nov 2014
Location: Manchester Uk
Posts: 485
spookyboo22 
Citizen

spookyboo22's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemoneRosie View Post
I don't want you to come to the conclusion that this is a traditional Tarot deck - it's not. The traditional Tarot is structured very differently from this Etteilla deck.

The spreads in the book highlight the cards' interdependence - as you said, much the way that dominoes do. While I find that fascinating I'm not sure that I understand it all that well; not enough that I could teach it to someone else.

Some people who read with this deck use it more like an Oracle deck, that is to say that they use it primarily as a springboard for their intuition and so they ask questions like "how did we get here?" or others about the world in which that card might figure.

I don't know of many people who read with this deck.
It seems a shame not to use it for anything as I quite like the imagery on it
My understanding of oracle decks is you ask a question and pull a card. I just stick to rws myself
As you know each cards has two meanings so do you use upright/reversed?
Sorry if I'm driving you mad , I would just like to use it in some way x.
Top   #5
AnemoneRosie's Avatar
AnemoneRosie  AnemoneRosie is offline
A star-gleam on a stone
 
Join Date: 02 May 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,969
AnemoneRosie 
A star-gleam on a stone

AnemoneRosie's Avatar

You can do spreads with Oracle cards. Here's an example of one that I did recently.

You could to the same with this deck and explore how the cards inter-relate. Or use them as a straight-up intuitive guide, which is my understanding of how many use this deck.
Top   #6
spookyboo22's Avatar
spookyboo22  spookyboo22 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 07 Nov 2014
Location: Manchester Uk
Posts: 485
spookyboo22 
Citizen

spookyboo22's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemoneRosie View Post
You can do spreads with Oracle cards. Here's an example of one that I did recently.

You could to the same with this deck and explore how the cards inter-relate. Or use them as a straight-up intuitive guide, which is my understanding of how many use this deck.
I will give it a whirl! Thanks for the input AnemoneRosie...its appreciated x
Top   #7


 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.