Doreen Virtue Decks changes and such

FLizarraga

I've downloaded the video.
I'm emailing it to Magda Szubanski in the hope she'll do character based on her.

When they published the book that goes with the deck, they made yet another video. It's even creepier (if that's possible) but it also documents their surgical approach to Tarot: take out everything "upsetting, or in any way frightening," to make it "safe" and bring Tarot "into the light."

Hilarity aside, that is a bizarre proposition, to say the least.

Carojulie

When they published the book that goes with the deck, they made yet another video. It's even creepier (if that's possible) but it also documents their surgical approach to Tarot: take out everything "upsetting, or in any way frightening," to make it "safe" and bring Tarot "into the light."

Yes it is quite a bizarre proposition.

I understand that some artist choose to "play down" a few cards from a tarot deck to make it suitable for all audiences (I am thinking of Jerri Totten who made her Distant Tarot deck with her children in mind, and who changed the name of a few cards for that purpose, and there are no bodies hurled from her tower, but she did not change the deep resnonance of the cards...)

But, to make it sound like tarot is dangerous and scary to the point of having to redo all the cards, that's unusual. In the video, Doreen Virtue says that, when she used to give tarot readings with a standard deck, she would take out of the deck all cards that could be scary or shoking, and that left her with about 9 cards left... that is a little exaggerating to say the least....

At least this video has the advantage of showing some of the cards, and according to what has been said earlier about the vividness of her decks' colours, I suppose that this Angel tarot is more in the same style as her other oracle decks, while the Guardian Angel tarot is in a different, more pastel, style.

The Guardian Angel tarot probably does not need a companion book since the book is already printed on each card (I rarely saw cards bearing so much writing. Could that make it a good learning deck maybe ? For me it would just be distracting and would block my intuition, I fear)

I thank everybody who answered my questions in this thread :) !
I had heard so much about Doreen Virtue in the past (you even find some of her orace decks in France, in libraries ! Imagine !) but I had never had a deck of hers (art not my style, I am not into this kind of angels and fairies, not drawn like that at least)
Anyway I was a little curious, so thank you for answering my questions !

I think that I will keep an eye open, if I ever come across one of these two tarot decks at a total bargain price I will get one, for the sake of having something with a different take. I think there is a lot to learn from different tarot decks and the different take artists have on cards.... each card is representing so many different possible interpretations, it is always nice to encounter a new way to interpret the card.
But I dont think I would buy the deck at full market price, just because the art is not enough my cup of tea and there are other decks on my wishlist that I would much prefer to spend the money on.

Intereting discussion in any case !

Gwynydd

I feel sorry for that Radleigh. That sparkly purple vest must be the only thing he owns 😂

Spiffo

Bizarre is an understatement.

And I've been wrong, all these years; being in the light is obviously not about clarity, it's about delusion. Silly me. X

Carojulie

Yes. Bizarre to say, in the same one minute video, that tarot is "an ancient, beautiful language of the divine" that can give "accurate answers", but at the same time implying that tarot is intimidating and frightening and is not "in the light" (otherwise why the need to bring int "into the light")

gregory

When she left out all the frightening cards in a tarot deck, she was left with NINE CARDS ?

Oh the poor wee sensitive plant...

Carojulie

When she left out all the frightening cards in a tarot deck, she was left with NINE CARDS ?

Oh the poor wee sensitive plant...

Yes !! At first I thought I misunderstood and that she took 9 cards out.. but no ! She had to take 69 cards out, otherwise she would have run the risk of terrifying her sitters.

Aeric

So has Doreen declared her intentions going forward? Is she going to stop making Tarot decks and just do oracles? Is she moving away from angels into other topics or sticking with them? Will Radleigh Valentine no longer be a collaborator on decks being a declared psychic?

What's happening?

gregory

I wonder what they made of a reading culled from a 9 card deck. I'd have asked for a (calculates rapidly) 88% discount :D