Legendary Astronomer Jack Horkheimer Dies At 72

Queen Hippolyta

http://cbs4.com/entertainment/jack.horkheimer.death.2.1871317.html

MIAMI (CBS4) ―

Jack Horkheimer, better known as "Star Gazer" to fans of the PBS program by the same name, died August 20th at the age of 72. He's seen here at a gala for the Miami Museum of Science, where he was planetarium directo

Horkheimer passed away at 1pm from a respiratory disease according to Tony Lima, vice-president of marketing and communications for the Miami Science Museum.

"We are very saddened to have just learned that our resident Star Gazer, Jack Horkheimer passed away today after being ill for quite some time," Lima said in a written statement.

The museum said funeral arraignments should be available for the public some time during the day on Monday.

I had no idea he was in his 70's!!! Prayers for his family. RIP

He is among the stars now

Queen Hippolyta.

OOnaOwl

Thank you for posting this Queen Hippolyta. He was an amazing astronomer, entertainer & human! I happened apon his show late one night many years ago & was quite enchanted to say the least. He has such a bright & enthusiastic spirit, and truly lived his life according to his heart's direction- in spite of much criticism & controversy among other more conventional scientists. If any of you get a chance to read about his life I highly recommend it, he is a true inspiration!

Queen Hippolyta

OOnaOwl said:
Thank you for posting this Queen Hippolyta. He was an amazing astronomer, entertainer & human! I happened apon his show late one night many years ago & was quite enchanted to say the least. He has such a bright & enthusiastic spirit, and truly lived his life according to his heart's direction- in spite of much criticism & controversy among other more conventional scientists. If any of you get a chance to read about his life I highly recommend it, he is a true inspiration!

You are welcome. I am glad he had other fans on this forum! I first saw him by accident too. I was watching the Red Green Show, which I also found by accident and Jack's show followed Red's. I watched it because it was not very long and it was quite interesting. I always loved they way they had Jack sitting on one of the rings of Saturn explaining the cosmos! That was so cool. It will be so hard for PBS to fill Jack's shoes. I did not find out till last night that Jack had died. The show must be pre-recorded (I figured) and at the end PBS said he had died. I was so sad to hear it!

Sagefire

My heart went to pounding as I read this post. I had not heard, such a loss. I too (common it seems!), discovered his show by accident and would always take the time to learn something spectacular about the cosmos... He had such a gentle and intelligent way of explaining things and such a quirky sense of humor. Queen Hippolyta, I too loved him sitting on saturn's rings!! Or waltzing down some starry heavenly highway... Guess he's up with the stars now. :heart::heart::heart:

The world has lost a great teacher of astronomy, and he will be sorely missed. Let's raise a toast... :T3C Farewell, Farewell, fellow Stargazer...

Cue music.

Queen Hippolyta

Sagefire said:
My heart went to pounding as I read this post. I had not heard, such a loss. I too (common it seems!), discovered his show by accident and would always take the time to learn something spectacular about the cosmos... He had such a gentle and intelligent way of explaining things and such a quirky sense of humor. Queen Hippolyta, I too loved him sitting on saturn's rings!! Or waltzing down some starry heavenly highway... Guess he's up with the stars now. :heart::heart::heart:

The world has lost a great teacher of astronomy, and he will be sorely missed. Let's raise a toast... :T3C Farewell, Farewell, fellow Stargazer...

Cue music.

I told my Spiritual Adviser about his passing and she too was sad to hear it. He was one of a kind and will be so hard for PBS to replace. I will miss him every Saturday night....sitting on the rings of Saturn.....pointing up at the Stars.......****sniff*****

oh well....as Jack always said...."keep looking up"