celtic astrology

sleeplessdreamer

Hello everybody! So a few days ago I started looking at Celtic astrology stuff (just for fun-zees), only to find that there's very little consistency out there...this being said can someone please point me in the appropriate direction for finding solid info on this...so far the only website that I crossed was

http://www.novareinna.com/constellation/celtic.html

I found it was pretty accurate of its description of me.

But what confuses me is that on my horoscope app that offers a "druid" horoscope...so I took a look. On my phones app it said that my birthday (11/3/1988) would make me a jasmine tree but the website says I’m a "Reed person" who falls under a lesser influence of the walnut...

All of this is very confusing, and the lack of consistent info isn't making this any easier to figure out. So anyone wanna point me in a good direction...

sleeplessdreamer

Thank you, when i used the search feature, i didn't get any good results...I am not the most computer profficiant 21 year old, lmao.

ATrickyBusiness

I know I am repeating what other people are saying, but the current manifestation of Celtic astrology is a modern invention with little to do with ancient techniques, much less references from source texts. I am not without some problems with the article by Ellis that one of the people linked to, but it is one of the best available at the moment.

I have, however, found a book I might check out eventually from one of my local university libraries (Alumni associations are often a good way to get a University library card for cheap or even for free) on what 'Celtic astrology' was probably most like, which isn't by a Celtic popularizer.

'Fiery Shapes: Celestial Portents and Astrology in Ireland and Wales 650-1650'
by Mark Williams is probably the most intellectually honest work on the subject matter that I know of, at least judging from the descriptions of the work-

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/gener...iterature/Medieval/?view=usa&ci=9780199571840

How could I forget? There are some extracts from Fiery Shapes right here! I love the takedown of Ellis in this, because I'm sick of seeing him giving people false hope-
http://books.google.com/books?id=4L...&resnum=2&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Bernice

Cheers! ATrickyBusiness.

The book appears to be about astrology, celestial phenomena, portents etc., not the popularised tree/plant zodiac. Thank you for posting the links.

Bee :)

ATrickyBusiness

You're welcome. Personally I now suspect that there probably never was an indigenous system of astrology for the Celts, because of the kind of extensive record keeping that is needed, and the Celts were a mostly oral culture. They weren't illiterate, mind you, but the lack of records isn't something you build systems on, IMHO.

sleeplessdreamer

Thanks you guys, i basically came to the same realization as atrickybuisness. Well it was a fun thought for a bit there. And interesting to read about.

ATrickyBusiness

sleeplessdreamer said:
Thanks you guys, i basically came to the same realization as atrickybuisness. Well it was a fun thought for a bit there. And interesting to read about.

I would still love to see the Irish medical texts that contain astrological insights translated, even though I know they're probably not too different than the ones written in the UK and Europe during the Medieval and Renaissance periods.