21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card -- step ONE

SherryZoned

I just started using this book..I chose the Deviant Moon...I have gone through this step and doing the objective description vs subjective..very helpful so far!

Ambience

"21 Ways -- Step One

Step One : The Vision Quest Tarot- Nine of Water ( Joy)- ( aka Cups).

A woman stands bathing in a stream of water at the foot of a waterfall. She has long dark hair and is facing towards the waterfall. She is surrounded by cups full of water that are resting in the dark green grass beside the stream. The water runs down from the mountains and luxurious grasses grow on either side of it.There is also a tree and although you can't see that it has any leaves at the top, the roots of the tree can be seen next to the stream. At the top of the mountain you can see the sky. It is clear and blue. The pots holding the water are decorative, with swirly patterns on them. The stream leads into another waterfall behind the woman. There are three shown in total and 9 cups. The tree forks in three different directions.

dadsnook2000

For Ambience

Your card description is very vivid. Once you move through these exercises you will ask and explore the issue of "threes" and "nines" as to their individual and linked meanings relative to the card. I continue to be surprised and delighted by the many layers of symbolism that tarot artists incorporate into the cards----it is like life, not as simple as it seems. I don't have your deck, so when you get to that point where you choose a particular card to work with through the steps, I hope you post a photo. This deck sounds like it is richly illustrated. Good luck. Dave

Joon

Fyi

For anyone following behind who wants to dive right in...

Google books has "21 Ways" through lesson 5. That will give you plenty to do until your book arrives!

The Guided Hermit

Step One: Tarot of The Spirit--The High Priestess

The High Priestess of the Tarot of the Spirit deck sits in a foreshadowed medium blue hallway, floating above a black and white checkered floor. The High Priestess appears larger than life as she sits/floats in a cube.

In her right hand, she cups an unfurled parchment; her left hand is open, palm inwards, resting on her left knee. Attired in a robe of Turquoise, a cross is imprinted on the flowing Burka that covers her face. Her eyes are obscured behind delicate mesh screens of the Burka.

Barefoot, her feet cast no shadows.

The top of her head is covered by a small image of the earth. The earth image is placed at the 6th Chakra (Brow) and is encased the shape of an eye. The eye is situated in the base of a triangle that hovers above her; a thin beam of light flows downward from the eye, bisecting the High Priestess' face. The triangle is comprised of pink on the outer 2/3s with turquoise triangular strands in the middle. A white triangle forms the center. The space above the triangle is in shades of turquoise, being brighter in the center.

The two columns typically seen with The High priestess are there. However, the top of the columns are square or facing to the viewer while the bases follow the pulled in perspective of the floor. Near the High Priestess' feet are two planetary symbols, one of which is The Moon.

Laying before me is the High Priestess.

Attachments

• 02--Priestess.jpg
    02--Priestess.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 105

The Guided Hermit

Step 1--The Roots of Asia--The Moon

This card is mostly deep indigo blue. A waxing, crescent moon sits above the horizon of a flat sea. The moon casts a long finger of light, ranging from gentile lavender to orange along the surface of the water. In the foreground, half of a tranquil, androgynous face rises from an indigo sea, illuminated in the soft light of the moon.

At first glance, it appears the face is floating between landforms. Upon closer inspection, those landforms are actually small alligators and (perhaps) an eel.

The apparent movement in the body of water is gentle, however, deep in the background there are hints of larger waves or clouds. The water line and horizon and sky merge together as one.

Attachments

• 18--The Moon.jpg
    18--The Moon.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 112

Probie

Step 1 - Name the Card

Rider-Waite-Smith Tarot
7/The Chariot

At a nearby bookstore, eloquently named "Bargain Bookstore," they have a small selection of nearly 1/2 off books. If you buy two, you get the lesser at a further 50% off! So even though RWS doesn't thrill me, I thought for $4.50 why not? I am growing to respect it, but mainly as a study deck.

In this Step, (though maybe it's the adept bit) it's important for me to notice how I say the name. When I see 3/Swords or 5/Disks-Pentacles pop up, I have to remind myself of my two maxims: "No bad cards" and "better the wounds from a friend than a compliment from an enemy" (later a paraphrase from a verse from the Book of Proverbs).

When I pull 7/The Chariot, I catch my breathe but for a complicated number of reasons. This will be seen in the Steps to come...

The Guided Hermit

The VIA Tarot—The Wheel

Activity 1:1
I selected the Major Arcana card— The Wheel (X), from the VIA deck.

prettywicked

21 Ways - Step One

Step ONE: Legacy of the Divine Tarot, Seven of Wands.

Of course the 3 cards I turned over are cards I don't really feel I understand, which I find great since I think this could help me learn the card I choose in the end, which is the Seven of Wands.

You can find a picture here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellynworldwide/4110479852/