Natural World Tarot

rylla

Not posted by anyone yet? It reminds me of Wild Unknown but just for it's simplicity not the art style. These cards look really good:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/NaturalWorldTarot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

The artist has completed at least 20 majors cards, can't wait for her to finish it and to buy the deck! Love the back too!

For now she is selling the prints of the cards she made.

Falcor

They do look really good and the art is very pretty. I think I would like that deck.

nicky

It's beautiful but... VERY close to the Wild Unknown. That Hermit... I feel a bit uncomfortable. I can't image what Kim Krans' reaction would be.

anger? oh wait - that would be mine...they do seem so close...

daphne

Is this a major-only deck?

quietly

Eh, I don't know. It is hardly surprising that a lion is on both Strength cards (as in many decks in some form), or that a turtle is used as a symbol of old wisdom. That's kind of how symbols work, anyway. One can arrive at similar conclusions without consciously drawing from a specific source.

These prints are lovely; thanks for sharing them. I like the backs, too.

GlitterNova

Eh, I don't know. It is hardly surprising that a lion is on both Strength cards (as in many decks in some form), or that a turtle is used as a symbol of old wisdom. That's kind of how symbols work, anyway. One can arrive at similar conclusions without consciously drawing from a specific source.

That's generally my thoughts as well. The details, composition and styles are different in the decks. I really like these cards and the art style they're done in.

Nemia

I'm not talking about the symbols but the composition and proportion of the artwork. It's done in a different medium, much smoother, and includes decorative details. But the Hermit card is not only "twice the same symbolic animal" which wouldn't make me angry - nearly every deck has a wheel on trump X, so what? Serious tarot artists re-interpret the same symbols in different style.

But here the case is different. Look at some of her other cards. She uses the same compositions like Kim Krans, only calls the cards by different name. So the fawn is no longer Page of Pentacles but the Fool. Still, it's stylistically very close.

If I had to judge whether this is plagiarism nor not, which would involve a much more serious analysis, I wouldn't look at the choice of non-traditional symbols but at HOW they are depicted.

And IMO there's hardly a doubt that these cards were "inspired" by Kim Krans' original work.

I wouldn't feel angry if she had mentioned that somewhere. But this feels like taking a ride on a hugely successful concept.

Sorry, I can't come to any other conclusion.

Btw, both the Badger's Forest and the Shadowscapes use foxes as symbols. In the Badger's Forest deck, they're the Cups symbol animal: intuitive, secretive. In the Shadowscapes, they appear on the Wands cards: their red colour, exuberance, cleverness, quickness.

So there are very different ways to interpret animals.

I'll have another look at this deck and be back with a more serious opinion.