Dusserre Dodal - Tarot de Marseille

Debra

What do the backs look like?

thinbuddha

Well, they've already doubled what my top bid would have been.

Tesseljoan

If this continues, it might just turn out that my copy was pretty cheap.

gregory

I bought mine for £10 in 1990. :D

It was well in print at the time.

And Jeannette said once that no-one ever asked TG about these things because they know full well that e-bay is the only place to look !

Oddly enough, I am trying to persuade a small publisher of my acquaintance to republish it - he had links with Dusserre. Sadly he promptly fell ill....

Abrac

After having seen it now, I wouldn't mind having it, but I don't think I would be willing to pay what it's probably going to go for in this auction. It looks like an okay reproduction, but not any better than the Tarot Jacques Vieville or the Tarot Egyptien. Its appeal is probably to those diehard antique Marseilles fanatics. I'm more of a Grimaud/Conver kinda guy.

True it is rare. But if you don't like it, rare or not, what's the point?

Good luck to those who bid. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

gregory

It is better actually. But I don't know that I would pay that much for it if I hadn't a copy already, I admit....

le pendu

The Dodal is a great deck.

For *me*, it is one of the most important in existance. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I use it in my historical studies. When I come across any question about the iconography of a card, I pull out my Dodal, Conver, and Vieville.. and Noblet scans, and start comparing. I've come to believe that we can classify the the Dodal as an earlier, "TdM I" style deck, and the Conver as a later "TdM II" style deck. To me, that means that if you're looking for as close a copy as we have to what the earliest TdM looked like, a published reproduction.. then we're talking about the Dodal!

But I have the unpopular belief that Dodal is a poorly drawn deck. I find lots of little details I suspect are "missing" from it that I'm guessing were probably there on better versions of the style; and there are lots of details that are poorly drawn, but trick me into wondering if they were intentional and if there is any meaning.

Even if the Noblet, probably my favorite TdM, were photo-reproduced today, I'm not sure I would think it a more important deck. The Dodal in many ways seems like a missing link to me, it connects to the Conver, Noblet, Besancons, Sforza Castle.. and other decks probably that I can't think of off the top of my head.

For studying the history of Tarot, history of the Tdm, it's a very important deck. For reading? Many TdM readers I know love it as well.

I certainly DO hope they republish it, and the Noblet for that matter, and a Payen if there is a complete/near complete one available.

prudence

Well, as someone who most likely has no chance of ever owning a Dodal, what do you all recommend as a substitute? (the Vieville?)

Papageno

prudence said:
Well, as someone who most likely has no chance of ever owning a Dodal, what do you all recommend as a substitute? (the Vieville?)

aesthetically, I prefer the Vieville, but that's a very personal and superficial jugement. the really knowledgeable people might consider that assessment rather shallow. I'm not a hard-core table-pounding live and breathe for historical Marseilles decks kinda guy.