Do Oils work or is it a placebo?

raeanne

Hi all,
I have sinus problems and one of the best remedies I know of is putting a couple of drops of peppermint oil in a hot cup of water and then breathing the steam. It works. Other oils don't work for this. Water alone doesn't work. I tried different combination and the best result was with just a few drops of peppermint oil in plain hot water. I let my dad try it and it also worked for him. The more it is repeatable, the greater the possibility that it is NOT placebo. But, even if it is the placebo effect, I don't care as long as my sinus headache goes away!

ravenest

Sure oils work! It's just that some aromatherapy is dodgey.

I constantly use oils for insect repellent, to kill tics, etc, work very well. But perhaps your talking about the subtle 'magical effects' of oils that do not have such a 'material' effect. These can work better for some than others.

There are lots of reasons as to HOW they work, that depends on the person and the oil, eg. it might be a straight chemical reaction or it might be more subtle and trigger a memory response for you.

willowfox

Pao said:
The only way i have been able to tell synthetic is because as soon as I wear it my skin start getting irritated :( but yes the places i have found in the city all oil blends are the same price. the price changes by the size of the bottle which made me wonder since all herbs are not so easly found. thanx for the tip I will search for better ones :D

When I was into experimenting with oils I found that some shops cheated outrageously, selling fake oils at high prices. The real oil usually comes in small bottles and are expensive.

Briar Rose

Just be very careful when experimenting with oils. I used Bergamot in my bath water, and when I got out I had blistery bumps ALL over my body which required a trip (looking like that) to the doctors office and tons of prescription cream.

Other than that, lavender under my nose and temples cures my headache (most headaches, not all), and makes me relaxed and sleepy.

Rose soothes my soul.

And I love Ylang Ylang. I think it's sexy.

The only thing with becoming accustomed essential oils is that you can get quite replused by the synthetic fragrances at the cosmetic counters.

I like the Bagger brand balms better than the oils.

sharpchick

Sure they work - I can't think of anything better than some tea tree oil in a hot bath for sore muscles. I add lavendar to mine for relaxation and to help with the aroma - I think tea tree oil essence is an acquired taste (or scent).

And eucalyptus oil in a pan of steamy water for opening stuffy noses (towel over the head like in the olden days). . .