Printing a copy of the Greenwood

PathWalker

Those card backs are very clever. A way to use the original backs without the dreadful effort of lining them up - when I printed off a copy for a friend (in the same way as the one shown - from the on line images and adding titles) I didn't even try - I made a patterned back that didn't need lining up. Wish I had thought of this - but I'm never doing another - it uses one HELL of a lot of toner !

@ G6

https://voicewithinthecards.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/large-cards-no-writing.pdf

So given that the images are allowed for personal use, what's the best way of creating a copy of the deck for yourself? I know some people have done so, so thought I'd plum the collective depths.

I've tried printing, but because there are 10 to a page you are really getting a pocket size deck. Has anyone tried wrangling with the PDF to split the images across more pages?

And what type of surface did you print on or cover with? I've used photo paper for one page, great crisp images but I'm not sure how well it's going to wear.

I appreciate this thread might need to be split off and put somewhere else, just wasn't sure how to manage that... I'll ask :)

FLizarraga

I was browsing Flickr for tarot today and came upon this:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8576/16784778762_d253e78db4_b.jpg

Wow, that's really neatly done, Nica. I suppose that person is handy with Photoshop.

So given that the images are allowed for personal use, what's the best way of creating a copy of the deck for yourself? I know some people have done so, so thought I'd plum the collective depths.

I've tried printing, but because there are 10 to a page you are really getting a pocket size deck. Has anyone tried wrangling with the PDF to split the images across more pages?

And what type of surface did you print on or cover with? I've used photo paper for one page, great crisp images but I'm not sure how well it's going to wear.

I appreciate this thread might need to be split off and put somewhere else, just wasn't sure how to manage that... I'll ask :)

I had them printed at Office Depot [for those not in the US, a chain that sells office supplies and offers printing services] on large sheets of a matte cardstock used for postcards, and that way I was able to get regular sized, nice quality cards. It cost me about $15.

(I advise against having them, or anything for that matter, printed at UPS stores: more expensive, less quality.)

You may or may not be able to print those at home, depending on the printer you have. (Of course that would eat toner like there's no tomorrow, but that's another story.)

PathWalker

Ah, good idea, I've only got a A4 printer here. Did you have them laminated in any way once they were done?

FLizarraga

Ah, good idea, I've only got a A4 printer here. Did you have them laminated in any way once they were done?

I printed several proofs, and had one of them laminated there. They actually cut the cards and laminated them individually at no extra charge, which was nice. However, they used extra heavy lamination and I ended up with super thick, rigid, coaster-like cards. The deck was about three times as thick as the other proofs --not kidding there. I traded them with a VERY generous ATer, I forget who --I think it was karen0205, but I could be wrong.

I guess you're better off laminating them on your own, if you ever feel the need.

auntie

If anyone ever decides to make their own copy at Office Depot or whatever, and is putting the titles on the cards, and wouldn't mind making an extra for me, please contact me and we can make an arrangement, like I'll foot the bill if you do the work? Because I have no computer skill and I'd need the titles on these cards - they're not on the files. I live in New York City.

Laura Borealis

Did Office Depot say anything to you about copyright, Fliz?

FLizarraga

Did Office Depot say anything to you about copyright, Fliz?

No, because the files do not have any visible copyright attached. For all they knew, I could have created them myself. (They did comment on how beautiful they were, though.)

That's a good question, because they are sticklers for copyright law to a completely ridiculous extent. A friend of mine wanted them to make a photocopy of his own book, and they wouldn't do it, even after he proved to them he was the author and the copyright owner.

Laura Borealis

Copyright only applies if you are selling, you can copy anything for yourself.

If that's true and I'm pretty sure it's not, a business like Office Depot will still protect themselves if they know the material is copyrighted. They have no way of knowing if you're doing it for personal use, or selling it.

But I don't think it's true. Like, I can't legally photocopy a library book for personal use. I can't legally print out one of DeeEll's paintings for myself.

We "know" (because knowledgeable people have told us) that the Greenwood artist is okay with people printing off their own personal copy, but Office Depot doesn't know that and it would not be easy to prove. I don't have an issue with Fliz or anyone using Office Depot to print a Greenwood, I'm just surprised he was able to.

I don't want to make the thread about copyright, though. It's just an issue I wondered about in this particular case.

Dee Ell

But I don't think it's true. Like, I can't legally photocopy a library book for personal use. I can't legally print out one of DeeEll's paintings for myself.

I don't want to make the thread about copyright, though. It's just an issue I wondered about in this particular case.

šŸ˜Š You are correct Laura Borealis - most people are completely mistaken when it comes to copyright laws esp in this copy/paste/print age.

The only reason someone could print this deck - even for personal use - is because the artist has given permission for people to do so. (otherwise everyone could also just borrow decks from friends and get them copied for personal use much cheaper at Office Depot than buying the deck from the publisher)...