Printing a copy of the Greenwood

FLizarraga

We "know" (because knowledgeable people have told us) that the Greenwood artist is okay with people printing off their own personal copy, but Office Depot doesn't know that and it would not be easy to prove. I don't have an issue with Fliz or anyone using Office Depot to print a Greenwood, I'm just surprised he was able to.

I don't want to make the thread about copyright, though. It's just an issue I wondered about in this particular case.

I think the issue of copyright rightly belongs in this thread, since we are talking about copyrighted material. Chesca's tacit blessing makes it moot in this case ONLY ( and let's stress ONLY) when the printing is done for personal use. I recently saw a home or print shop made Greenwood go on eBay for well over $200. Now THAT is wrong.

Laura Borealis

Agreed. I just didn't want to hijack the thread into a discussion of copyright only. There is a dedicated thread for that, elsewhere. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't mind printing my own copy, it's a beautiful deck and I think it would lend itself well to intuitive readings (I am much too lazy to try learning its own system!)

How did you do your backs? I really like the tan and green leafy print that Mi-Shell used.

Which I just realized, she provided here: https://voicewithinthecards.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/pdf-back-for-greenwood.pdf

FLizarraga

How did you do your backs? I really like the tan and green leafy print that Mi-Shell used.

At Office Depot they were adamant about not printing on the other side of the sheets, BUT they did not have any objections to cutting and pasting two of them to make the laminated ones at no extra charge (I think they're just weird). So I ended up with one or two copies with unappealing, plain, white backs, and the coaster-like impermeable one with Mi-Shell's pretty backs... :bugeyed:

Laura Borealis

Oh, weird. I wonder if it would have messed up their printers somehow. But duplex printing is done all the time. :confused:

What about using rubber stamps on the back? Use something like a small leaf or fern, and do an overall random pattern. Or use a big Indian batik printing block. Or make your own linocut - that could look perfect with the style of the minors. Rubber stamp would be easiest though.

Zephyros

Moderator Note:

Yes, the creator of the Greenwood has given her permission to print these out, as can be seen here:

https://voicewithinthecards.wordpress.com/greenwood-tarot-book/

So copyright isn't a factor here, and we can all enjoy these lovely images guilt-free. :)

Copyright discussions can of course take place in their own threads. This specific thread is for dealing with this deck's pdf.

Thanks

Dee Ell

That's a great idea Laura - and given FLiz' love of bling and deck alterations, he could use metallic inks on the backs 😉 (though his Nosferatu-sized hands may preclude him from using a single, tiny rubber stamp 😂 hahaha - sorry FLiz, I'm having too much fun at your expense this afternoon 😊 )

FLizarraga

That's a great idea Laura - and given FLiz' love of bling and deck alterations, he could use metallic inks on the backs 😉 (though his Nosferatu-sized hands may preclude him from using a single, tiny rubber stamp 😂 hahaha - sorry FLiz, I'm having too much fun at your expense this afternoon 😊 )

You're pushing it! You're PUSHING it! ;)

rylla

Photoshop is VERY handy. You can put as many cards on a sheet as you wish (and make them look bigger or smaller). I did that with the Shadowscape. I have the deck; a scanned it, than I made the cards bigger using Photoshop, I had them printed on a thick cardstock (for me it has to be at least 300g thick), I bought a stamp (I am a cat lover so guess what: I bought a stamp that shows a cat with wings :)) and I stamped the back. There are many options, really.

I had them printed in this store: (it probably exists in USA as well)

http://www.staplescopyandprint.ca/

ETA There you do the printing yourself, no one asks what you are printing.
Re. printing: I personally prefer a laser printer over an inkjet. The color of the print and quality of the images printed on these big printers are really good.

Laura Borealis

And if you don't want to buy Photoshop, you can download Gimp for free. It does most of the same things as Photoshop, and there are heaps of tutorials out there if you can't figure something out.

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

PathWalker

One of my main questions though is that the cards artwork offered by Cheska comes as a locked PDF thingy (sorry, you know I'm not technical)
And I can't unlock it to allow resizing of the images. One person said they had them printed on larger stock - therefore you get larger images. That's great, thanks I wouldn't have thought of that.

But are any of you saying that a programme you have at home will open these so as to allow a different orientation (currently 10 to an A4 page)?

:)