About a picture 8 of Swords

Michellehihi

This image is very scary! Not only there is no way out except with the help of someone exterior, but if help doesn't come fast she will die from the lack of air!

EmpyreanKnight

It might just be me, but it looks like the jar is open. It doesn't seem to have a lid on it.

Flames

I love how everyone sees this image...It's interesting because, to me, the jar would *appear* shut to her. It's such an '8 of swords' thought - to *think* there's no way out. But, it's false. She's created her own prison and she can, therefore, 'uncreate' it. With her imagination (or constructive and positive thinking), she could float to the top and open the jar herself - in the same way she could remove the blindfold in Rider-Waite's card. Her hands appear bound, but they're not *really* bound. The tightness or looseness of her binds are a direct correlation to her thoughts. Change the thoughts and you change the experience.

SunChariot

interested in getting your opinions. Would you see this picture as the 8 of Swords ? Yes ? No ? Why not ? Just wondering ;)

Yes. Actually I like that a lot for my meaning of it. I would buy a deck with that card for that meaning. But then again my meanings are my own.

The 8 of Swords for me talks about our thoughts and way of thinking of course. But it about "strong" thoughts that affect our thinking and acting, and are hard to get past.

The image, to me shows bottled up thoughts. The kind that we try to hide from the world (maybe even from ourselves). So it could be taking about some kind of fears or thoughts that make us feel insecure, that we do not want to feel or for anyone to guess are there inside us. She is facing left, so likely some pain and insecurities stemming from past experiences. Dirtyish hair maybe looks like her "dirty little secrets", that she wants to hide from the world.

But maybe the image says that in reality we are not fooling anyone. That they(people talked about in the question) can see behind our facade and see the real us anyway. SO we might was well open up and let them in. If we just opened up (opened the lid of the jar) and let out the bottled up feelings, we would have more space to breath. And others could reach us and touch us. And help us heal.

Babs

SunChariot

This image is very scary! Not only there is no way out except with the help of someone exterior, but if help doesn't come fast she will die from the lack of air!

There is something to be said for that. Although I find the image amazingly creative and love it. IF the lid were shown visibly open in no uncertain way. Then we could see it was a prison of her own making, created by her own thoughts. But that in reality she could freely leave at any time, were she to change her thoughts and way of thinking.

It does look sealed to me too. Although I did not think of it at first.

Babs

SunChariot

The jar is sealed tight which, to me, reflects the power and influence of her own negative thoughts. Because she's succumbed to these thoughts, she can't see a way out and she doesn't feel she's in a position of power. The possibility that she can free herself can't factor in. She's not yet drowning in her own helplessness, though (the water level is low). If she looks up, she'd see a mist of clouds. She'd be able to take a step back and detach herself from her own bondage and see that these thoughts (clouds) will eventually clear and dissipate. But, she's looking 'down' (in the direction of her thoughts) and as long as she looks down, she'll fail to see a possibility for freedom. Well, this is what I see anyway. :) I think this image depicts what I understand to be the 8 of Swords, quite well. Thanks for sharing it!

Wow, that was deep. And beautiful.

Babs

EmpyreanKnight

I have never encountered a jar like that before, and lids here are often colored and detachable. But if that jar is anything like this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...KusINAZyNBG-J0euykb_P_e7yVLd9H_YNy8_BPxZBRsDd

Studying its mechanism vis-a-vis the original image, perhaps Michellehihi is right and the jar is sealed tight. Uh oh, things are getting more and more dire for our heroine. Maybe only a deus ex machina can save her now. I hope the lid has air holes or something.

SunChariot

I have never encountered a jar like that before, and lids here are often colored and detachable. But if that jar is anything like this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...KusINAZyNBG-J0euykb_P_e7yVLd9H_YNy8_BPxZBRsDd

Studying its mechanism vis-a-vis the original image, perhaps Michellehihi is right and the jar is sealed tight. Uh oh, things are getting more and more dire for our heroine. Maybe only a deus ex machina can save her now. I hope the lid has air holes or something.

Yes, it's that kind of jar. They call them Mason jars (at least here) and they are used for making homemade jams. Or I guess anything one would want to preserve, like a chutney or homemade ketchup.

Babs

Padma

As someone else mentioned above, that jar would be impossible to open from the inside, due to the exterior latch mechanism going on. And someone else mentioned the 8 of Swords always has an exit.

Maybe if the latch was off, and the lid was slightly to one side, and she was standing and leaning up against the glass walls, even if it was just her back against the jar wall, I could see it being the 8 of Swords.

It reminds me of the 8 of Cups - leaving things behind, water element, going off on one's own, and also no way back. She seems very withdrawn into her own self, more than trapped or struggling, in my view of it. She seems quite content to just sit there, and be rained on. It doesn't even seem like she notices the rain falling.

SunChariot

As someone else mentioned above, that jar would be impossible to open from the inside, due to the exterior latch mechanism going on. And someone else mentioned the 8 of Swords always has an exit.

Maybe if the latch was off, and the lid was slightly to one side.

My thoughts exactly. As it is a Swords cards, that would show that it is a prison of her own making, created by her own thoughts. Since we can choose our own thoughts, she could change her way of thinking at any time and that would free her.

Having the latch off and the lid to one side would improve the card, would make it resonate better with the card meaning.

Babs