Are you obsessed?

CharlotteK

I was reading about the nature of obsession in a psychology mag, and it described how thinking about something a lot, or all of the time, can indicate obsession. I think about tarot a lot, I dream about it, and I get tarot archetypes popping into my head when I talk to people. So it piqued my interest!

Just as there are downsides to obsession, such as over time a risk that it will, like an addiction, unbalance us and devalue other aspects of our lives, there are apparently also upsides to obsession. So, for example, it is hard, if not impossible, to be really great at something unless we are a little bit obsessed with 'it'. And obsession can drive us to be adaptive, creative, motivated, resilient, focused, determined, ingenious and capable of solving really difficult problems.

The crux of whether our obsessions are negative or positive is, according to the article, how we control them and make them function for us. It suggests using strategies such as distracting ourselves periodically to take a break from thinking about it, complete tasks that help us move on from the obsession, focus on a greater mission, practice grounding methods, and listen to what others tell us.

I thought this would be an interesting topic for discussion. How often do you think about Tarot? Is it an obsession? How do you make it function for you? Do you experience or see any negatives as a result of your Tarot interest? Do you have strategies for controlling it and if so, what are they?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Grizabella

I don't think I'm obsessed with Tarot but 75% or more of the time I have a deck beside me or in my hands. I spend a lot of every day reading Tarot material and reading cards for people. Also, I always have the Tarot forum here open on my computer desktop and peek in periodically during the day. In the morning, my coffee and a bout of going through the forum is the first thing I do. At night, the last thing I do is check and go through the forum again. I don't think it's an obsession, though. I'm retired and this is my profession now. I can earn a little bit of money this way but even if I couldn't, I'd still do the very same thing every day.

I do a lot of other things but Tarot and other means of divination are just my main focus most of every day. Right now I'm doing beadwork on some Tarot accessories using teeny tiny size 15 beads. That work is painstaking and takes considerable time to build up a stock of items, but sometime between now and summer, I hope to have a "grand opening" of a website where I can sell some.

Am I obsessed? I don't think so. I'm doing things I love, I'm enjoying it very much and I have the time to devote to it so I just carry on. :)

CharlotteK

I don't think I'm obsessed with Tarot but 75% or more of the time I have a deck beside me or in my hands. I spend a lot of every day reading Tarot material and reading cards for people. Also, I always have the Tarot forum here open on my computer desktop and peek in periodically during the day. In the morning, my coffee and a bout of going through the forum is the first thing I do. At night, the last thing I do is check and go through the forum again. I don't think it's an obsession, though. I'm retired and this is my profession now. I can earn a little bit of money this way but even if I couldn't, I'd still do the very same thing every day.

I do a lot of other things but Tarot and other means of divination are just my main focus most of every day. Right now I'm doing beadwork on some Tarot accessories using teeny tiny size 15 beads. That work is painstaking and takes considerable time to build up a stock of items, but sometime between now and summer, I hope to have a "grand opening" of a website where I can sell some.

Am I obsessed? I don't think so. I'm doing things I love, I'm enjoying it very much and I have the time to devote to it so I just carry on. :)
That sounds to me like a deep and serious but healthy professional and personal interest in Tarot :)

Barleywine

Like Griz, I'm retired and spend at least part of every day (when I'm home) right here. I also spend time creating tarot spreads (did two today and posted them), exercising, reading, looking at internet news sites and doing some chores (but not many, don't want to run out of them! :D) Once in a while I get a call-in to do professional readings at my local New Age shop. Buying new decks could easily become an obsession, but I have it under control (down to maybe half-a-dozen a year). I almost never watch television (unless Game of Thrones or Westworld is on). I also do a little alpine skiing during the winter and in the summer I fly-fish and do some flat-water kayaking. Not bad for someone my age, I guess.

Michellehihi

Once a friend told me to stop talking about tarot, complaining tha I was always talkng about it. I was a little ashamed and now I am more keeping my passion for myself.

CharlotteK

Like Griz, I'm retired and spend at least part of every day (when I'm home) right here. I also spend time creating tarot spreads (did two today and posted them), exercising, reading, looking at internet news sites and doing some chores (but not many, don't want to run out of them! :D) Once in a while I get a call-in to do professional readings at my local New Age shop. Buying new decks could easily become an obsession, but I have it under control (down to maybe half-a-dozen a year). I almost never watch television (unless Game of Thrones or Westworld is on). I also do a little alpine skiing during the winter and in the summer I fly-fish and do some flat-water kayaking. Not bad for someone my age, I guess.
Wow, not bad at all (I don't know how old you are but I know retired folks who aren't nearly so active). Half a dozen decks a year really is the epitome of control to my mind, so sounds like you have a great life balance that includes Tarot as a significant part of it but definitely not as an obsession.

CharlotteK

I was rushing with my last reply but I meant to say I so love the sound of your beaded Tarot accessories. I'm a knitter and crocheter and I find doing crafts (even if it's crocheting Tarot bags) very meditative. I'd like to see some of your work :)

CharlotteK

Once a friend told me to stop talking about tarot, complaining tha I was always talkng about it. I was a little ashamed and now I am more keeping my passion for myself.
I had same from my husband when I first got the bug and don't talk to him about it now but don't you think it's quite hard keeping a passion internalised? I feel I might burst sometimes.

pickled pixie

Yes, yes I'm obsessed! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padma

Like Barleywine, I keep busy with other things. I travel, I hang out with my three dogs, I go on day-long outings in the car just for the fun of driving. I do love the forum and I check it out many times a day, when home, to see what is new, and chat with friends here.

I love tarot, but right now I am working with Lenormand, Kippers and playing cards, too. I simply find it quite enjoyable to figure them out, like any other puzzle. Some people do crosswords to relax and to mentally sharp - I try to figure out and learn new systems ;) I don't consider it an obsession, more like an interesting hobby, one that keeps me very intrigued, and mentally occupied.

I paint as well, so when I am in painting mode (not lately!) I completely forget about the cards. I guess I just immerse myself into whatever I happen to be doing at the time. I don't think about cards when I am doing other stuff. So no, I don't think I am obsessed.

I also keep my deck buying down to about 6 or sometimes less per year.