Are you obsessed?

Michellehihi

I had same from my husband when I first got the bug and don't talk to him about it now but don't you think it's quite hard keeping a passion internalised? I feel I might burst sometimes.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
I speak of it one tenth of the times, nine tenth I keep to myself.

willowy

Like Griz, I'm retired and spend at least part of every day (when I'm home) right here. I also spend time creating tarot spreads (did two today and posted them), exercising, reading, looking at internet news sites and doing some chores (but not many, don't want to run out of them! :D) Once in a while I get a call-in to do professional readings at my local New Age shop. Buying new decks could easily become an obsession, but I have it under control (down to maybe half-a-dozen a year). I almost never watch television (unless Game of Thrones or Westworld is on). I also do a little alpine skiing during the winter and in the summer I fly-fish and do some flat-water kayaking. Not bad for someone my age, I guess.

Did you know there's a Game of thrones tarot coming out in september?It's listed on Amazon. No pics yet.Its one of my favourite shows too.

Back to topic,yeah I'm obsessed,and no one in my real life shares my tarot and oracle card passion which is why I come on here.

violetdaisy

I'm obsessed with ... knowing myself better and learning about things that are outside of traditional scientific beliefs and local mainstream religious beliefs ... Tarot is included in that obsession but not exclusive.

I've learned a lot about how different people interact with their environment and each other by studying Tarot and then observing those around me.

And, instead of being frustrated and agrivated by those who genuinely feel they need to save me from myself because I don't believe what they do, I'm more likely to thank them for their concern and compliment them on their faith in what they do believe providing it's giving them peace and not causing them anxiety and fear. :)

So I have a healthy obsession with Tarot I think. And I do take breaks from doing certain things with it. I haven't read for anyone in a while but I have been relatively active perusing this forum. Sometimes I do a lot with the cards themselves and take a break from here. Etc.

RunningWild

It's a passion, not an obsession. We never hear about the "obsession " of industry mavericks being told they should consult a psychologist, do we? No, we hear that they doggedly pursued an inspired notion until they achieved something great.

That some people malign tarot as an obession, to me, indicates not just some bias (cultural or perhaps religious) but also fear.

I regard my use of the cards as a passion, something that allows me to explore other cultures, art, helps me to think outside the box, and teaches me to trust my intuition.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Tanga

Ofcourse I'm obsessed!!!
Aren't you?? :joke: :joke: :joke:

- It's a well balanced one. ;)
Tarot is the life - and life is the Tarot - so it's kinda just ingrained into how I put my foot forward on waking.
I have ofcourse - all the rest of my life too: Working as a therapist, operating within my family, interacting within my pagan community and the occult scene, weaving my web of Kung Fu studies, keeping a tiny hand in the belly dance world now-I've-left-due-to-injury, playing with my cat and taking pleasure in my home and miniscule garden, plus taking time out to enjoy Si-Fi and Fantasy (in books, at the movies and
at conventions). :) :angel:

Being regularly on this forum is a way of letting out that "internalised passion" - so then I'm less in danger of boring the rest of my world to tears with my Tarot ideas. LOL.

Did you know there's a Game of thrones tarot coming out in september?It's listed on Amazon. No pics yet.

Oh darn it! *slaps her TOADies wrist*

Wheel of Fantastic

Obsession or addiction is only a problem if it interferes with other aspects of your life such as looking after yourself, social activities or work. If you have no problems in this area and no mental health issues then tarot can be a healthy obsession.

Barleywine

Being regularly on this forum is a way of letting out that "internalised passion" - so then I'm less in danger of boring the rest of my world to tears with my Tarot ideas. LOL.

You sure it isn't just this? (But then spouting Galileo would probably have the same effect as tarot ponderings.) :joke:

"The geometry of innocence flesh on the bone
Causes Galileo’s math book to get thrown
At Delilah who sits worthlessly alone
But the tears on her cheeks are from laughter"

(Bod Dylan)

CharlotteK

So I reckon anything can become an obsession. Another way of expressing obsession is a consuming passion. I agree with all of you that have said it only becomes a problem if it interferes with other aspects of life especially self care and social functioning. This is the unbalancing the psychologist was talking about it into article.

I'm thinking there's maybe a 'giddy kipper' phase when you first start getting into it and it becomes a bit of an obsession because it's a gem, just amazing and powerful and fun and there is so much to learn and discover and absorb and it's a REVELATION! Perhaps after a while it naturally settles down as it become part of the tapestry of our lives and finds its groove???

Wheel of Fantastic

So I reckon anything can become an obsession. Another way of expressing obsession is a consuming passion. I agree with all of you that have said it only becomes a problem if it interferes with other aspects of life especially self care and social functioning. This is the unbalancing the psychologist was talking about it into article.

I'm thinking there's maybe a 'giddy kipper' phase when you first start getting into it and it becomes a bit of an obsession because it's a gem, just amazing and powerful and fun and there is so much to learn and discover and absorb and it's a REVELATION! Perhaps after a while it naturally settles down as it become part of the tapestry of our lives and finds its groove???

You just described the first year I got serious with tarot. 12 years later, tarot has found it's groove. Now it is a fascinating tool I use to help me think through things but I don't obsess over it. Unless I go nuts on a deck buying spree - whee!! That happens every few years or so.

Tanga

You sure it isn't just this? (But then spouting Galileo would probably have the same effect as tarot ponderings.) :joke:

There's never just a just - is there? :joke::joke:

"Which of you two will kindest be?
Pleasure laughed sweet. But Joy - kissed me".

(The Best Friend, William Henry Davies).

** working HARD on controlling the "Whee!" - mad bit**