Is there a word for this method?

TaureanWitch

Is there a word for when someone takes two identical tarot decks and combines them for a reading, one all upright and one all reversed?

lilylilac

Not that I've come across. Could you describe the process in more detail?

You mean mixing two decks together?

Apollonia

Is there a word for when someone takes two identical tarot decks and combines them for a reading, one all upright and one all reversed?
I've never heard of it before--sounds interesting!

Barleywine

No word for it that I know of. I've heard of people mingling "light" decks and "dark" decks before, but not with one upright and one reversed. I tend not to mingle decks because sizes can be different, but I might have a spread with two "trains" or paths and use a different deck for each one. I did that with the two teams for the recent Super Bowl. (No, one wasn't a "dark" deck! :)) I would think mingling two identical decks could be a chore if you drop them and have to sort out the separate decks after they're scrambled. I could see mingling my Radiant RWS and my Albano-Waite, though.

rwcarter

I would just call that a double deck. I have two copies of the Revelations Tarot, which has different upright and reversed art on each card. I held one deck upright and one reversed and shuffled them together. I know how to shuffle so as not to change the orientation of the cards, so the upright deck will stay upright and the reversed deck will stay reversed. And even if I manage to pick the deck up wrong, I'll still have half the cards upright and half reversed.

Rodney

Le Fanu

Interesting technique... why hadn't I thought of that? I have so many multiple copies of decks!

nisaba

No, but over time I've seen a number of people who combine decks for readings.

You'd have to pick two decks of identical sizes, otherwise they won't shuffle well together.

prudence

If it doesn't have an official name yet, I like the ring of "Double Dutch" for it. ;) Does anyone remember the craze of rope skipping/jumping rope (using two ropes at once, swinging in opposite directions) that had this name? Pretty cool stuff.

Tanga

If it doesn't have an official name yet, I like the ring of "Double Dutch" for it. ;) Does anyone remember the craze of rope skipping/jumping rope (using two ropes at once, swinging in opposite directions) that had this name? Pretty cool stuff.

Yup. Used to partake. Lol.

I've mixed 2 halves of 2 decks into one. In both instances they happen to be the same size and for one pair - they even look very similar.

So TaureanWitch - how did this person read?
- With one giant deck of 156 cards?
- With 2 decks, one card upright and one reversed for each position?
- With 2 decks like 2 piles of cards - and randomly selecting from either the upright or reversed deck?

WHAT?? I'm dying to know. :) :) :)

rwcarter

So TaureanWitch - how did this person read?
- With one giant deck of 156 cards?
- With 2 decks, one card upright and one reversed for each position?
Can only speak for myself, but I use one giant deck of 156 cards with my Transparent Tarot, right from the moment I got it. In the 8 years that I've had it, I used mirror imaged cards with it, but only started incorporating reversed images along with mirror images last year. The way I shuffle the Transparent, I can get two of the same card in the same orientation or in different orientations.

I use the Revelations as listed in the second line. But then I shuffle that deck in such a way as to maintain having one copy of the card upright and one reversed.

For me 156 cards is nothing as I used to play a game called Spite & Malice as a kid. That uses 4 decks of playing cards (208 cards).

Rodney