9 of Cups

Virgo26

For my daily readings I normally use the cycle of the day spread (5) using RWS. http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=50101

The past couple of weeks I've gotten 9 of cups from time to time as a situation or something unexpected, etc. I know it's the "wish" card but I'm wondering what it means to others when it comes up in a reading? I don't particularly feel like I've particularly gotten what I want. Maybe it's like eating a good ice cream :)

nisaba

What deck are you using? The RW and similar decks show a slightly unpleasant man with a flushed face and folded arms sitting directly between you and the Cups he has stored up - a picture of greed, ownership and smugness.

When you wish for something, beware of your wishes coming true - there is always a cost. The fellow in the illustration might have wished for more alcohol - and got liver failure. Or more food - and got a heart attack. Or as you suggest, more ice-cream - and lost their looks. Or more money - and got more responsibility.

Who amongst us only form unselfish wishes? This card is a warning that selfish wishes, if granted, only lead to further misery.

Virgo26

I use the RW deck.

True - I suppose there is a fine line with the 9 of cups with being reasonable and being a bit greedy. I've been a bit more in a wishful mode these days which might be why it's showing a little more. Today I got it in the 'something unexpected' position. Maybe I get surprised by what myself or other people want. The day's almost over, I'm still trying to get used to what the cards mean to me when they show up in readings!

JoyousGirl

Satisfaction.

Virgo26

Satisfaction would also make sense on a day-to-day context!

the world is saved

One interpretation of the 9 Cups I've seen is 'you're wishing for something instead of doing the work necessary to attain it'. I find it tends to come up like that for me.

9s in the tarot seem to me to be about being 'almost there' in a way, confronting a last obstacle in the way to something ... in the Cups suit I interpret that as being emotionally willing to recognise that things don't generally just fall into your lap, you have to do what is needed to attain them.

Virgo26

Good point. I think with matters of the heart, for various reasons, I also find myself doing more wishing than acting. Sometimes to get what you want you have to make hard decisions. It's a lot easier to hope that something external to you will make it happen instead of yourself!

Nikita_

I often find it in situations where it seems to have a negative connotation, or surrounded by negative cards...I've heard in those cases it can mean lonleyness, as in being alone at the top...

Virgo26

Doesn't seem like 9 of cups has a particularly good connotation when it comes to getting something you want. I think of the 5 of swords where the victory is at someone's expense, whereas the 9 of cups *could* be good but mainly affects ourselves if what we wish for doesn't bring us happiness.