Card interperation

Judgement

Hi
I have a question witch have been confusing me lately .
There are many sources for cards interperation i have two sources that i depend on but they both have different meanings for a single card , could there be a book of somekind that includes all meanings? In the end these meaning leads to one thing , understanding your unconsciousness . Please correct me if im wrong ,
Thanks

Luna-Ocean

Hi
I have a question witch have been confusing me lately .
There are many sources for cards interperation i have two sources that i depend on but they both have different meanings for a single card , could there be a book of somekind that includes all meanings? In the end these meaning leads to one thing , understanding your unconsciousness . Please correct me if im wrong ,
Thanks

Yes it can be abit confusing what you will find in some books will often be different from other sources, also some decks done by it's creator will have some difference in what the card imagery is showing often wirh a deck that comes with it's own book, lets take the 6 of swords in the Rider waite deck which mean moving away from difficulties in another deck it could mean something else? but as you said all meanings should all lead to one depending on what the creator had intended to show in the cards.

I don't really go by what books tell me but what i feel intuitively what the card is saying in a reading.

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, Judgement!

No, there is no one canonical source for tarot card meanings. Any such book would not only be thousands of pages but would be out of date very quickly as new meanings are developed every day. The tarot is dynamic so that a card can mean one thing in situation A but something completely different in situation B, which could be what you're seeing with the different meanings between the two sources you currently have.

For now, keep what resonates and don't bother with what doesn't. Those meanings may resonate at some future point.

Rodney

Judgement

Yes it can be abit confusing what you will find in some books will often be different from other sources, also some decks done by it's creator will have some difference in what the card imagery is showing often wirh a deck that comes with it's own book, lets take the 6 of swords in the Rider waite deck which mean moving away from difficulties in another deck it could mean something else? but as you said all meanings should all lead to one depending on what the creator had intended to show in the cards.

I don't really go by what books tell me but what i feel intuitively what the card is saying in a reading?

Yeah , i usually do that as well . In the end its you who see the story the way you want it to be and ur hunch in 100% not to doubt . Thanks for your help :)

Judgement

Welcome to Aeclectic, Judgement!

No, there is no one canonical source for tarot card meanings. Any such book would not only be thousands of pages but would be out of date very quickly as new meanings are developed every day. The tarot is dynamic so that a card can mean one thing in situation A but something completely different in situation B, which could be what you're seeing with the different meanings between the two sources you currently have.

For now, keep what resonates and don't bother with what doesn't. Those meanings may resonate at some future point.

Rodney

Thanks Rodney , for now ill just stick with what i have . But one thing to add . The aces of each suit , i wonder if that also changes from a deck creator to another ?

Thirteen

More similar than you think....

Thanks Rodney , for now ill just stick with what i have . But one thing to add . The aces of each suit , i wonder if that also changes from a deck creator to another ?
Oh, yes. There are changes from book to book and source to source on every one of the 78 cards. This isn't to say, by the way, that there's no agreement. As someone who did a lot of research on such differences when writing up my own such book, I actually found that the books have more agreement than you might think. For example, they all agree that the Fool is about beginnings...but the way they phrase it may make it look like they're not talking about the same thing at all. Especially when you're just starting out. One book talking about the Fool as "cosmic egg" doesn't quite jive with another book taking about not looking where you're going and being likely to fall off a cliff.

As you get to know the cards better, however, you'll find that what seems like different interpretations are often similar at a deeper level. You just have to find that deeper level. For example: 5/Pents. So you read in one book that this is about poverty. But then you read in another deck that it can stand for an affair. Well, those two don't seem to be the same at all do they? But if you delve deeply into it, turns out they do have something in common. 5/Pents is, at it's core, about society locking someone out—or someone who proudly refuses to be part of society. That can be the usual image of the poor person who hasn't money to be on level with his peers (unless he/she takes charity), or it can be someone who is having an affair and therefore not approved of by society. So, you see, those two very different meanings are the same at their core.

It gets to be really quite interesting to look through very different decks and say, "How can this very different looking card refer to the usual definition? What is below the surface here?"

But that's for the future. For right now, as Rodney said, stick to one book of meanings and just learn your cards. You'll find, for the most part, that what you learn in this or that book is probably not that far off, and you can have a discussion with us about it without feeling like you learned some radically different meanings that have nothing in common with ours.

MissNine

Just going to throw this in....
First, welcome judgement!

Second, I think of tarot books like speaking English. Each book has it's own personal, regional "accent" with meanings that are unique to the author. I've been reading for a bit over a year now and that's a baby step with card readings. Over time, I realized some meanings just didn't jive with me and picked up my own nuances to certain card meanings. But I got super flustered with the few books on tarot I had and after the first two months, only used one. Much easier for me when I kept to the basics of one at first, IMHO.

As you keep reading, maybe it will be like my experience ....maybe not.

The numbers in the decks.... Think of it as the life cycle of something. Ace is little baby....4s are stable or that 11 year old feeling like if only they were older things wouldn't be so boring and steady, 5 as unsteady teenager, 10 is completion or full power of the suit. Now some numerology is different about things, but that was how I learned. Also every deck will have varying imagery, so you might want to sit down with one of your decks and take each card in.

Hope that helps!