What does it really mean, to be a Reader?

gregory

Onyx said:
The question wasn't about labels it was about definitions. Though labels may or may not put people in boxes, accurate definitions allow for meaningful conversation and clear understanding of terms.
I'm not sure there is an essential difference between defining something and labelling it. Once you define, the label is there.

Grizabella

If I had to define myself, I'd call myself a philosopher/diviner, I think. Although under my ID name, I have Tarot Reader/Fortune Teller, which I also like to believe I am.

Onyx

gregory said:
I'm not sure there is an essential difference between defining something and labelling it. Once you define, the label is there.

I am able to define "reader" because the word has a meaning. There are vast array of meanings and I would dare say that while we may all have overlapping understanding of the term I bet that they there not exactly the same.

This is the same academic exercise of defining "lunatic." I can define the word becuase it has meaning. It doesn't mean that I am labeling anyone with the term. Now once I have defined the word and if there were to be a person that met the defining charateristics of the word then they may in fact be a "lunatic" whether or not they like the label or ascribed to it themselves. Labels may be distasteful to some but when I am in the shopping market or drug counter they are dead useful.

For our purposes here at the AT forum, if I were to exchange "readings" with someone then by definition I would be acting in the role of a "reader." Right? Therefore it is a valueable term for us to define, discuss, debate and clarify on the forum.

The fact that the term has fallen in to such dispute that makes it all the more important for us to define. The public outside the Tarot world call us "readers" if we in fact use the cards in such a manner. It is up to use as those in the community to have a either a definition that can fit the word that accurately describes what we do or an arguement for why the word should not be used.

Both of these issues are excellent topics of discussion in this thread, in my humble opinion.

moderndayruth

I am following with great interest this thread... alas, the term we use in Serbian (and Montenegrin too) is not "reading", but "opening"...
So, we "open" Tarot, "throw" oracles, "consult" Yi Jing/ I Ching and "turn upside-down" coffee cups to read the residue... So it gets even more complicated. In simple words, if one is asking for coffee cup or oracle reading, it presumes predictive readings. One usually expects something very different from The Book of Changes. (Again, Yi Jing is not that popular, while the first two are.) As i posted many times on boards here, Tarot is not wide spread here, so the sitter doesn't usually know what to expect - and that's up to the individual reader to explain. My own reading style is imbued with my belief system. There are countless Tarot readers who have various (spiritual or not) belief systems and who practice different styles of readings, so i think it is difficult to define precisely what are we doing an general. That's why i think its important, as it has been stated in many threads before, to have the reader's code of ethics printed out (or finding some other way of getting the sitter acquiant with it).
I shall continue to follow the thread with utmost interest... :)

Onyx

moderndayruth said:
I am following with great interest this thread... alas, the term we use in Serbian (and Montenegrin too) is not "reading", but "opening"...

This reminded me of an old You Tube video about how popular tarot is getting in China and/or Hong Kong.

There they called it "Tarot Telling." I like that that there is simply a telling aspect to it.

It is intersting to think of opening to tarot which as a vivid mental picture of the process I go through when I look at the cards. I do feel that I am opening up to recieve the message not just simply investigate it.

Onyx.

gregory

Onyx said:
I am able to define "reader" because the word has a meaning. There are vast array of meanings and I would dare say that while we may all have overlapping understanding of the term I bet that they there not exactly the same.

This is the same academic exercise of defining "lunatic." I can define the word because it has meaning. It doesn't mean that I am labeling anyone with the term. Now once I have defined the word and if there were to be a person that met the defining characteristics of the word then they may in fact be a "lunatic" whether or not they like the label or ascribed to it themselves. Labels may be distasteful to some but when I am in the shopping market or drug counter they are dead useful.
OK fair enough - I get you; we can define something and then the label is available for use, would be a better way of looking at it (for me !!!)

But whatever we say here will carry no weight with those who refuse to see reading as a good (or even OK !) thing.

I like the "telling" way of describing it - as I kind of make stories with my readings, it fits.

Modern Mystic

I just pulled a card to help me meditate on what it means to be a Tarot reader-The Hermit was my answer. For me anyway it has been something of a solitary search for wisdom, as I am the only one in my family that has taken to the Tarot. But the journey has been extremely rewarding, reading Tarot to me means accessing the Divine guidance from within and without and my practice just would not be the same without it. I think what unites all Tarot readers, spiritual or otherwise, is an enduring love for the cards and all the different facets of life they represent, after it is a journey all of us take together.

Great idea for a discussion BTW ;)

The crowned one

Accepted generic definitions aside...

For me personally it means I am curious. I am forward looking based on past experiences and learning. Tarot cards are just one tool I use as a reader, there is my free will and ability to ponder and interact with my surroundings, be that people or a moment in time. The reading of the cards are the foundation I build off of. It is where I start....when I am in my role of a Reader.

Debra

When I was hoping to read at the local metaphysical shop, I went in and introduced myself by saying "I'm a tarot card reader."

A lot of people read cards. Saying "I read tarot cards" just doesn't sound the same.

ETA: I got the nerve to do this partly because of the AT forum, and I have been reading at the shop! So ... I blame you all :heart: :p