I don't like tarot, i will read if you pay me though!

214red

I caught up with some mediumship ex-classmates at pub for a glass of vino or two, one of them mentions how he is joining this company to do telephone readings. He asks me if I think its right that he says he is a tarot reader, his argument is that he can give a reading from a card just like he can anything else, so therefore he could read cards.

I said he shouldn’t say he is a tarot reader when he isn’t, especially when he hates tarot. I argued that tarot reading is a skill, people have spent time learning, and therefore to say he is a tarot reader is a bit of an insult to the people who are actually tarot readers.

All in all I found it funny that he doesn’t like tarot, but wants to say he is a tarot reader. Being a medium doesn’t by default make you a tarot reader, and vice versa.

I am curious to see what the opinion on AT is about this...

lark

Is he a psychic reader?
Because sometimes the cards seem to be in the way if you read psychically.
He should find a venue for what he's skilled in...not try and force himself to read tarot if he doesn't like it....

nisaba

I remember several posts at differwnt times where people have gone to mediums calling themselves Tarot readerss, tehn hardly paying any attention to the cards, and just doing overhead clairvoyance or psychonetry or other skills. Universally, everyone who's mentioned it, felt swindled by being offered Tarot then not being given Tarot.

It's actually telling a lie if you don't read from the imagery of the cards but claim to. If he's okay with lying to his clients, then fine, but let me know who he is so that I never mistakenly give him my business. :(

DaughterOfDanu

I don't consider being psychic and having learned to read tarot cards to be one in the same.
That being said, I don't go around calling myself a psychic just because I read the cards. If I was to open up my own reading business/shop it might be hard to gather in business but I don't think I would use the word "Psychic Readings" In its title/description unless I've hired someone who is classified as such.

I think its wrong to dislike the tarot, yet use it for money. Its like disliking a person, yet kissing up to them for some benifit.

As for one's right to call themself a tarot reader. I look at it this way. I don't see an issue with people who've been reading a little while to call themselves tarot readers. After all, they read the tarot, no? But I find fault with calling yourself a professional or taking large sums of money (More than 10$) when you haven't taken the time to really learn the cards and study them.

I honestly hope he decides to just use his psychic powers without the use of the tarot. There are phone lines that hire just psychics.

Just my opinion. I take A LOT of pride in reading the tarot. I love it and reading professionally is a goal of mine. I'd hate to see someone using the cards clearly for benifit without even enjoying what they're doing. In any sort of career someone who takes that mindset is going to wind up having issues with their job.

gregory

I think it is borderline fraud. I hope someone finds out what they are getting for their money and informs his employers.

For pity's sake - if he gives decent readings doing HIS thing, why not offer HIS THING ? Why pretend ?

SunChariot

All I can say is I sure would not want a reading from him! I tend to believe that we are all good at the things we love and nor very good at the things we don't enjoy. Like in school how the subjects we do well at are those we lve and vice versa.

IF you're not good at something, my view is you should not be taking people's money to do it.

Babs

Chiriku

If he really has heightened (compared to the average person) "psychic ability," maybe from his perspective, tarot cards should no more be off-limits to him then scrying in the clouds, a tarnished old copper pan, or random seashells forming a pattern on the beach. Maybe from that perspective, everything is a potential tool to channel and organize his psychic impressions.

Personally, if I were a querent who wanted a "psychic" reading, I wouldn't mind if tarot wasn't his favorite cup of tea, because they'd just be tools like anything else that he uses to harness his built-in prowess.

But I'm not that type of querent. *For me*, personally, I find meaning in tarot's archetypal, psychological, etc. faculties. And I don't believe that someone with little experience of and affinity for tarot will have developed the skillset to give me that type of reading.

214red

am glad its not just me that was annoyed with it!

Pagan X

If he's such a hot shot psychic, why does he need to engage in deception to get a job?

And if he has to go into every reading from a position of lying to both his employer and his client, he isn't going to be a psychic for very long. How can one promise and deliver truth under such conditions? That's like stabbing your subconscious and then expecting it to perform.

214red

Pagan X said:
If he's such a hot shot psychic, why does he need to engage in deception to get a job?

And if he has to go into every reading from a position of lying to both his employer and his client, he isn't going to be a psychic for very long. How can one promise and deliver truth under such conditions? That's like stabbing your subconscious and then expecting it to perform.
he can deliver a message, and he is a good medium and psychic, but he isnt a tarot reader