Horary Readings Round 8 - Answers

Minderwiz

Let me know what happens!!

junethird

Let me know what happens!!

Quick clarification that just came to my mind... Own efforts as in the present actions i will take from now on or actions i took in the past that has put me in this particular position?

Minderwiz

I think Lilly would say its actions you take from now on, i.e. it's not a fait accompli you will still need to act.

junethird

I think Lilly would say its actions you take from now on, i.e. it's not a fait accompli you will still need to act.

Ok, i thought so. I know what to do then. Thank you.

Minderwiz

Reading for Samweiss

Hi Minderwiz,

I was wondering if I could get a reading from you. I'd like to know how my career prospects will look like in the next 6 months. Lately, I've been mostly doing few odd jobs here and there so things are going a bit unsteady. It would be nice to know if there will be more activity or stability in my life, career-wise, in the upcoming months.

Thanks!

The chart cast has Virgo rising, which would normally make your significator Mercury. However Mercury is also the ruler of the tenth and the MC, that is your career. As Jupiter is placed in the Ascendant, I'll use that planet as your first significator and use Mercury for your career.

Jupiter is angular, being in the first, but is in the sign of it's own Detriment. It's just turned Retrograde but so far hasn't moved singificantly. So your significator is literally going nowhere, and when it does start to move it will be going backwards.

Mercury is also placed in Capricorn and the fifth house. The placement is good by house but it is Peregrine (no essential dignity), and it too is Retrograde and slow slow. So from the two main significators we get a situation that is very static and if anything, going to move in the wrong direction.

Unlike the other significators the Moon does have speed but it's combust, and only three degrees from the conjunction with the Sun. The Moon's next aspect will be a trine to Jupiter, if that was followed by the conjunction with Mercury, that might have suggested that at least something positive happening, probably a new job. However, after the trine with Jupiter comes the conjunction with the Sun and only after that does the conjunction with Mercury occur.

So over the time period that you have added, I don't see an obvious improvement. It looks like things are in something of a bind at the moment. There are some indications of improvement but they lie outside your given period. The main one being the New Moon preceding the conjunction with Mercury. New Moon's indicate new beginnings, but the career isn't going to pick up immediately even then.

I'm sorry, I hope I'm wrong!

Attachments

• Samweiss Jan 2016.jpg
    Samweiss Jan 2016.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 122

Etene

The chart cast has Virgo rising, which would normally make your significator Mercury. However Mercury is also the ruler of the tenth and the MC, that is your career. As Jupiter is placed in the Ascendant, I'll use that planet as your first significator and use Mercury for your career.
I haven't seen the querent significator substituted like this before. Although I have seen some sketchy trickery used to pick multiple significators for the Seventh. Is this method demonstrated somewhere in the historic texts? And, were there no occupant, to what would you resort?

Ronia

I haven't seen the querent significator substituted like this before. Although I have seen some sketchy trickery used to pick multiple significators for the Seventh. Is this method demonstrated somewhere in the historic texts? And, were there no occupant, to what would you resort?

I suggest you re-read a few texts before resorting to terms like "sketchy trickery". Using planet in the 1st for co- significator of the querent is actually part of the ABC in horary. Same with the 7th as long as it is not Saturn. If there was no planet there, comes the triplicity ruler. And so on, and so on. It is all described very well in various texts, indeed.

Samweiss

Jupiter is angular, being in the first, but is in the sign of it's own Detriment. It's just turned Retrograde but so far hasn't moved singificantly. So your significator is literally going nowhere, and when it does start to move it will be going backwards.

Mercury is also placed in Capricorn and the fifth house. The placement is good by house but it is Peregrine (no essential dignity), and it too is Retrograde and slow slow. So from the two main significators we get a situation that is very static and if anything, going to move in the wrong direction.

Unlike the other significators the Moon does have speed but it's combust, and only three degrees from the conjunction with the Sun. The Moon's next aspect will be a trine to Jupiter, if that was followed by the conjunction with Mercury, that might have suggested that at least something positive happening, probably a new job. However, after the trine with Jupiter comes the conjunction with the Sun and only after that does the conjunction with Mercury occur.

So over the time period that you have added, I don't see an obvious improvement. It looks like things are in something of a bind at the moment. There are some indications of improvement but they lie outside your given period. The main one being the New Moon preceding the conjunction with Mercury. New Moon's indicate new beginnings, but the career isn't going to pick up immediately even then.

I'm sorry, I hope I'm wrong!

Thanks for the reading, Minderwiz!

Yes, things really are in the bind at the moment. My original plan was to look into more freelance work or go back to school if things don't pick up, but some things have come up that prevent me doing either of those things. Also, you are not the first to mention new beginnings, so maybe something positive will happen unexpectedly in near future. :)

Minderwiz

In a Horary question, the Querent is assigned the Lord of the Ascendant, any planets in the Ascendant and the Moon. There are plenty of references to that in Lilly.

In this particular question, Mercury rules both querent and quesited, which means that if I follow normal practice and give Samweiss Lord 1. But that would mean that I have no obvious significator for Samweiss' career, as there are no planets in the tenth.

I do have two alternative co-significators for the Querent - those being the Moon and Jupiter, who is placed in the first. They have a clearer link to the Querent than any substitue for Mercury has for Career. Hence my assignment.

Sahl Ibn Bishr, who wrote the earliest explicit text on horary, says (Introduction to the Science of the Judgement of the Stars) 'If you find the ruler of the matter joined to any planet in the Ascendant, and that planet has testimony in it by being in its own domicile, or exaltation or triplicity, etc. then it will be perfected.'

So a planet in the first is clearly a significator of the querent (but see later comment)

If there had been a planet in the tenth, then I would have taken that as the significator of career and left Mercury as the significator of the Querent.

If both houses are empty, and Lord 1 rules both Querent and Quesited, (only possible for Mercury, Jupiter and Saturn( there are a number of things that can be done.

Firstly, use the Moon as the sole significator of either Querent or Quesited. Practically it doesn't matter which is allocated to which, because you are still looking for an aspect between the two. As the Moon has general significance in the chart, giving it to the quesited would clearly work.

Secondly use the Exaltation Lord (assuming there is one) for either Querent or Quesited as well as the Moon. Unfortunately Gemini has no Exaltation Lord and Mercury is both Domicile Ruler and Exaltation ruler of Virgo, so that strategy doesn't work. Note that it could work with Jupiter rulerships, as Pisces has Venus as the Exaltation ruler and it could work with Saturn rulerships, as Capricorn has Mars as the Exaltation ruler.

Thirdly,as Ronia points out, we could use the Triplicity Lord or the Term Lord. In this case, for the Ascendant, that would be Moon (Triplicity) or Venus (Term). For the MC it would be Mercury (Triplicity) or Jupiter (Term). Clearly that doesn't get us very far. Jupiter is in the first and is best given to the Querent, and Mercury rules both houses. The Moon is already given to the Querent and Venus is a little remote from events, though it is one of the natural significators of career.

Lastly, if all else fails, I would take a natural significator of the Quesited. In this case the natural significators of career are Mars, Venus and Mercury (Mercury having already been considered, that would leave Mars or Venus) Which one would depend on what sort of career the Querent was interested in.

I would want to keep the selection of signicators as near to the top level as possible. By choosing to give Mercury to the questited, I give it the primary significator, and by choosing to use Moon and Jupiter for the Querent, I give the Querent the two co-significators available. One might argue that Jupiter should be disregarded as it does not have any essential dignity in Virgo and so fail's Sahl's test. I would argue that whilst Jupiter's failure to have essential dignity does mean that there will be no perfection, even if Mercury and Jupiter were in an applying aspect, it still has to be considered as a significator of the Querent. We wouldn't disregard Lord 1 completely, simply because it wasn't going to perfect an aspect to the Lord of the Matter (or that aspect did not also have reception).

Although Lilly disapproves of this, there are earlier texts whic,h he claims,allow the planet fromwhich the Moon is separating, to be given as a co-significator of the Querent. In this case, that would be Mars. Likewise he claims that some Astrologers give the planet to which the Moon is applying to the Quesited. In this case, that would be the Sun. I think Lillly either doesn't mean this as it comes across or he has misread the earlier texts. Giving the planet to which the moon is applying would, by definition, guarantee a perfection in every horary question, as the Moon is given primarily to the Querent. The only obvious exception would be where the significators in the chart are of such poor condition that they lack the strength to deliver. That is the case in this chart.

The Gemini/Virgo issue doesn't come up often, but when it does, there is need to make a choice based on the chart and have a clear basis for doing so.

If you took Mercury as the significator of the Querent, which planet would you choose as signifiator of the Quesited, and why?

Minderwiz

Reading for CosmicBeing

if you are still taking people... Could I have one on career/finance for the next 6 months

The Chart cast has Cancer rising, making your significator the Moon. She is placed in the eighth house of Aquarius. This isn't a good placement by house, as the eighth is one of the four houses (2nd, 6th, 8th and 12th) that are not seen as conducive to business. It's not the best place from which to focus on your career.

The better news is that the Moon is in its own Decan, so it does have some Essential Dignity and even better it is making two useful aspects. The first is to the MC by conjunction. This requires the Moon to change signs into Pisces but that requires a move of only 8 degrees to achieve the conjunction, much less than a day's travel.

The second aspect is a trine to Mars, ruler of the tenth house of Aries. Mars is placed in its own house of Scorpio and the distance to the Trine is ten degrees, again much less than a day's travel and well within the Hellenistic orb of the Moon, which was 13 degrees (its average daily travel). As above, the perfection of this aspect requires the Moon to change signs.

So I think the prospects for career are quite good. There is change on the way and that change must be completed first, but thereafter there should be positive developments in your career.

Finance, at least in terms of income, is a second house matter, and the second is ruled by the Sun. The Sun is angular in the seventh house (Capricorn) and in his own Decan. Again there is essential dignity but not great dignity. There is a mutally applying trine with Jupiter, the benefic of the chart. Don't expect too much from that aspect as Jupiter is Retrograde in the sign of its Detriment. and that will greatly weaken the good that it can do.

So Finance is more problematical. The Sun does rule the Lot of Fortune, so you might have some luck on your side but it doesn't promise a huge improvement in your circumstances, rather its a very modest improvement. The Sun is also in mutual application to Mercury, ruler of the Lot of Spirit. This Lot has special signification for career and social action. It signifies the way that you can influence your environment and your circumstances by your own efforts. So you are very likely to have to be ready to act on your own behalf here. A new or improved career isn't just going to fall into your lap, it will have to be worked for.

Put in the effort and things should work out favourably.

Attachments

• CosmicBeing Jan 2016.jpg
    CosmicBeing Jan 2016.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 112