Barbara Walker Tarot - Please Tarot Gods or U.S. Games Reprint This Deck!!! :-)

G6

Hey Folks! Rodney was generous enough to sell me one of his copies (for a reasonable price) in his online sale. I'm so excited to get this deck!!! :). Yay!!!

Madrigal

Oh man, I *love* hearing stuff like that! That's some good heart medicine! Rodney, :love: :*

G6

Tarot of the Cat People

I love this deck! (it is still in-print and easily available) And use it as my "magic and ritual" deck. It has the right "ambience" for me in this capacity - still beautiful (with cats!! gotta have cats if one's a witch - lol! ;) ) but there's a starkness with little side detail. Which means for me - it's a lot easier to reproduce these cards in-my-minds-eye. I'm talking Donald Tyson - 'Portable Magic' here.

When I look at them I feel like I'm walking down a twilight path shining a torch on the (magical) characters.

:) :)

Since Le Fanu mentioned this I'm oddly attracted to this deck. I don't consider myself a cat person. I'm more of a dog person. Maybe it's the vintage sci-fi element that's doing it for me. How is this deck to read with?

pink daliha

Good for you hon. I've scored some amazing deals, but as others have said, its a matter of luck and dedication.

G6

Why is this deck suddenly so expensive? It has been print since the 70s and only went out of print within the last two years. There must be hundreds around not being used, not wanted. I don't understand. There are as many of these around as there are Fergus Hall Tarot of the Witches,or Tarot of the Cat People. I don't know anybody that has it as their go-to deck. Of course quite a few people must like it but why the sudden inflation? I have never seen that happen before. Hasn't the Connolly gone OOP now too? Why aren't those prices sky high?

Le Fanu, I think you are right. I just saw my Celtic deck that I bought maybe 6 years ago is now selling for $140 on Amazon. I bought it in a $10-15 set. It's not an amazing deck or anything. The card stock is nice. Real heavy though.

G6

Good for you hon. I've scored some amazing deals, but as others have said, its a matter of luck and dedication.

Thanks! I'll post tomorrow when I get it to share the magic! :)

feynrir

Since Le Fanu mentioned this I'm oddly attracted to this deck. I don't consider myself a cat person. I'm more of a dog person. Maybe it's the vintage sci-fi element that's doing it for me. How is this deck to read with?
I was in the saaame boat as you. More of a dog person and everything (though I have loved cat decks since reading with the Pagan Cats). I think it's the gorgeous colors that did me in the most out of all factors; to me the SF story that goes with the deck is unique but...silly. The cards are pretty straightforward as it is, and much of the differentiation of the characters is in the way they dress (it states this in the LWB)--though me not being very fashion-conscious, I never would have particularly noticed this detail.

I'd say I get decent readings out of this deck. Not one of my best readers by a longshot, but it's still fun to use! The people and circumstances depicted are not expressive or varied enough. The figures are for the most part just kind of standing around. It's not the worst, but it's best for aesthetic purposes. If you were doing an "emergency reading" and needed just any deck at all, this would certainly be a nice one to pick up and use.

That being said I have a vintage copy and it's beautiful! :) Shuffles like a dream. If you want it I'd go for it, especially if you've never had a cat deck before. /endreview

I certainly find it cooler than the Barbara Walker :p To me the BW looks like a watered-down Navigators of the Mystic SEA. Maybe I'll take a second look and see what the hubbub is.

G6

Barbara Walker Tarot is the BOMB!!! :)

I certainly find it cooler than the Barbara Walker :p To me the BW looks like a watered-down Navigators of the Mystic SEA. Maybe I'll take a second look and see what the hubbub is.

Okay, got it in the mail today and I have to say if there was a hall of fame for tarot The Barbara Walker Tarot would be there, for sure!!! This is an amazing deck and a work of art in my humble opinion. :) Navigators of the Mystic SEA is nowhere close!!! :)

Tanga

I hardly ever read with it. :) Used only for magic or meditation.
I would agree as below :arrow:

Not one of my best readers by a longshot, but it's still fun to use! The people and circumstances depicted are not expressive or varied enough...
That being said I have a vintage copy and it's beautiful!

The characters are depicted mostly in isolation so it's a more difficult read.

Okay, got it in the mail today... and I have to say if there was a hall of fame for tarot The Barbara Walker Tarot would be there, for sure!!! This is an amazing deck and a work of art in my humble opinion. :) Navigators of the Mystic SEA is nowhere close!!! :)

You lucky thing. :)

What's Navigators of the Mystic sea got to do with it? I don't get it. :)