Is there a perfect pagan deck ?

nisaba

There are any number of decks that have been labelled as Pagan, though, and not all of them are standouts. I well remember the Sacred Circle deck, featuring pretty rough-and-ready photo collage techniques (okay, the software wasn't as good back then) and the endlessly repeated faces of the creators' friends <sigh>.

Briar Rose

But nisaba- I worked with the Sacred Circle yesterday (for myself), and the reading was very accurate about what transpired and outcome makes sense. With this deck, I have to learn how to read the deeper meanings within the cards. Plus, I love reading about the different spiritual locations in Britain. For some reason I don't mind the quirky-ness of the faces.

I agree with others about The Wild Unknown about you trying it. I feel this deck is completely set apart from all others. If you are drawn to what the spirituality of the earth has to offer, this decks is so darn intuitive, you'll feel it in your brain.

nisaba

But nisaba- I worked with the Sacred Circle yesterday (for myself), and the reading was very accurate about what transpired and outcome makes sense.
<smile> Yep, accuracy has little or nothing to do with whether a deck is appealing. And this one must have appealed to me once - I bought it, after all!

With this deck, I have to learn how to read the deeper meanings within the cards. Plus, I love reading about the different spiritual locations in Britain.
<smile> Doesn't alter the fact that the technical aspects of the deck are rough.

For some reason I don't mind the quirky-ness of the faces.
Fair enough - I wasn't gone on them being "real people" instead of art-people - it made the deck seem limited to me. I don't have that problem at all with the real faces in the Quantum, though.

willowfox

Basically all the "so called" pagan decks are "lacking".

2dogs

I don't find any of the Sacred Circle images offputting the way I dislike some of the RWS and Thoth cards. The large companion book certainly has a lot of information about the cards, locations and symbols.

Shadow Self

My first Tarot Deck, the Mythic Tarot I would consider to be a good pagan deck with a lot of pagan imagery and no distracting Christian imagery if that is what you are looking for. I won't say its a Wicca, neo-pagan deck, but rather based in the Greek myths, so it feels very pagan to me.

Shade

Let's see:

Book of Shadows As Above
Book of Shadows So Below
Daughters of the Moon
Druidcraft
Druids
Faery Wicca
Jolanda
Greenwood
Motherpeace
Pagan Tarot
Pagan 2000 Tarot
Robin Wood
Sensual Wicca Tarot
Witches Tarot
Wildwood
World Spirit

From that list I personally think that the Pagan and World Spirit most reflect what the bulk of Modern Pagans imagine the universe to look like.

Morwenna

Of my own decks, I'd pick the Robin Wood, the Arthurian, the Pagan Cats, and the Sacred Circle. (I'm less happy with the Witches'.)

Flaxen

Depending on your flavour of paganism (i.e. you are more interested in historical/mythological elements), you might also consider:

Sol Invictus
Norse Tarot
The Giant's Tarot
Mythic tarot

For a general nature based path it is also worth considering:
Tarot of the Sidhe
Waking the Wild Spirit

Altena

The Greenwood, Ironwing and the Wild Unknown are my favorites among the ones mentioned(that I also have experience with). The latter would be the obvious choice of these three since it's much cheaper and easier to obtain.

The Pagan 2000 Gina Page's Pagan Tarot and the Norse Tarot(all mentioned already) are also nice for this purpose, as are many of the various God and/or Goddess decks out there. I also have a fondness for the LS Universal Goddess Tarot.

The Well Worn Path is a nice and earthy little deck as well and it works fairly OK for readings. It is an oracle deck and leaning towards Wicca in particular: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/well-worn-path/

As for the "perfect" Pagan deck? What is the definition of perfection? In my view definitions will always differ from one person to the next. To me personally a perfect deck isn't necessarily perfect, if that makes sense. It can be perfect in my eyes, but still have visible flaws(even to me). I'm a big fan of the term "perfectly imperfect" :D